+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship-Minor Question 9

BMB

Nov 16, 2015
We have just moved to Canada from Mexico. Husband and I both have our Canadian Citizenship. We have brought our two children with us, newborn and three years. They only have their Mexican birth certificates. They do not have Canadian Citizenship or passports. We now live and work here in Canada. Question 9 asks when the child became permanent resident of Canada. Is this the day that we moved to Canada? The document checklist asks for Record of Landing (do not have one) and a Permanent Resident Card (do not have one). We do not have passports for the children. Am I filling out the proper application? Do I need these documents?

saria1

May 22, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 28, 2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
January 16, 2015
File Transfer...
January 23, 2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
October 27, 2014
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
June 17, 2015
LANDED..........
June 30, 2015
BMB said:
We have just moved to Canada from Mexico. Husband and I both have our Canadian Citizenship. We have brought our two children with us, newborn and three years. They only have their Mexican birth certificates. They do not have Canadian Citizenship or passports. We now live and work here in Canada. Question 9 asks when the child became permanent resident of Canada. Is this the day that we moved to Canada? The document checklist asks for Record of Landing (do not have one) and a Permanent Resident Card (do not have one). We do not have passports for the children. Am I filling out the proper application? Do I need these documents?
It sounds like you are using the wrong form. You are filling in the form for "Grant of Citizenship" CIT003 you should be filling in the form for "Proof of Citizenship" CIT0001:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/certif.asp

BMB

Nov 16, 2015
"This means that, in general, persons who were not already Canadian citizens immediately before April 17, 2009 and who were born outside Canada to a Canadian parent are not Canadian if:

their Canadian parent was also born outside Canada to a Canadian parent (the person is therefore the second or subsequent generation born outside Canada),"

Neither of us were born in Canada. We received our canadian citizenship because our parents had theirs. But we have always lived and worked in Mexico. Now that we have moved to Canada, I feel like I should be filling out the CIT 0003 for our children.

saria1

May 22, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 28, 2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
January 16, 2015
File Transfer...
January 23, 2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
October 27, 2014
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
June 17, 2015
LANDED..........
June 30, 2015
BMB said:
"This means that, in general, persons who were not already Canadian citizens immediately before April 17, 2009 and who were born outside Canada to a Canadian parent are not Canadian if:

their Canadian parent was also born outside Canada to a Canadian parent (the person is therefore the second or subsequent generation born outside Canada),"

Neither of us were born in Canada. We received our canadian citizenship because our parents had theirs. But we have always lived and worked in Mexico. Now that we have moved to Canada, I feel like I should be filling out the CIT 0003 for our children.
Ahhh ok. I received my Canadian Citizenship through one of my parents too. You will need to apply to sponsor your kids, through family sponsorship. I had to do that with my son (and husband). The process took ~8 months for them to be approved and receive their landing papers. I'm not sure where the timeline averages are presently at, since we're done with that process. Once your kids are given landing papers, you will need to go through the landing process and then you can apply for their citizenship.

BMB

Nov 16, 2015
For ease of reading, I was asking for someone else. But now that has just complicated things. So back to the drawing board, I am trying to fill out the applications for this family. They have come to Canada with 5 children. The older three have their Canadian citizenships. They applied for these three children after 2009. They have never lived or worked in Canada. So in order for their first three children to get their Canadian citizenships, they couldn't have had permanent residence etc. Somehow these older three children received their Can Citiz. while living in Mexico. Should I assume they used the Proof of Citizenship application? How else could have they gotten their citizenship?

saria1

May 22, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 28, 2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
January 16, 2015
File Transfer...
January 23, 2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
October 27, 2014
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
June 17, 2015
LANDED..........
June 30, 2015
BMB said:
For ease of reading, I was asking for someone else. But now that has just complicated things. So back to the drawing board, I am trying to fill out the applications for this family. They have come to Canada with 5 children. The older three have their Canadian citizenships. They applied for these three children after 2009. They have never lived or worked in Canada. So in order for their first three children to get their Canadian citizenships, they couldn't have had permanent residence etc. Somehow these older three children received their Can Citiz. while living in Mexico. Should I assume they used the Proof of Citizenship application? How else could have they gotten their citizenship?
The only thing that would make sense is if one of the parents (the husband or wife) received Canadian citizenship when their parent/s were granted citizenship; naturalized. If that is the case, then that parent is a naturalized citizen, which would mean all 5 kids would be citizens, so long as all 5 kids belong to the naturalized parent.

If this is the case, then you need to apply for Proof of Citizenship CIT0001.

BMB

Nov 16, 2015
That makes the most sense to me. Is there a way I can find out for sure and be absolutely positive that one of the parents was naturalized? I'm sure neither one of the parents has ever lived in Canada even as children. I know the mother was born in 1981 and received her Citizenship in 1984.

BMB

Nov 16, 2015
I just spoke to him again and the father said that he applied for his Citizenship along with his Dad and the rest of his siblings. The great Grandfather had his Canadian Citizenship, and therefore the Grandfather and all his children applied together. Now those children have had kids and I am applying for those kids. Wow. I hope that made sense. So now the question again is: is the father naturalized, and if he is, can I apply for his children with form CIT 0001.

peoples_champ

Star Member
Jan 19, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If any of the parent is a citizen then kids born outside Canada are considered to be Canadian citizen. However, one must register/apply for their citizenship.

i may be over simplify it is one sentence but this is a rule.

"Do not use this form to prove a child born outside Canada to a Canadian parent is a Canadian citizen. If your child was born outside Canada and is a Canadian citizen, apply for proof of citizenship (adults and minors). You may also apply for proof of citizenship for a child born in Canada if you do not have a document showing the child has Canadian citizenship."

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/minors.asp

Good Luck

saria1

May 22, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 28, 2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
January 16, 2015
File Transfer...
January 23, 2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
October 27, 2014
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
June 17, 2015
LANDED..........
June 30, 2015
BMB said:
I just spoke to him again and the father said that he applied for his Citizenship along with his Dad and the rest of his siblings. The great Grandfather had his Canadian Citizenship, and therefore the Grandfather and all his children applied together. Now those children have had kids and I am applying for those kids. Wow. I hope that made sense. So now the question again is: is the father naturalized, and if he is, can I apply for his children with form CIT 0001.
So the father got his proof of citizenship before the 2009 law change? If so, then the kids born before 2009 are Canadian citizens. The kids born after 2009 are not citizens and need to be sponsored, because they are 2nd generation born abroad.

BMB

Nov 16, 2015
Saria1, if that is the case, then how could the three older children have their canadian citizenships. None of them were born in Canada, all were born in Mexico and have lived there since they were born. The one child was born in March 2009, and did not receive citizenship until December 2011. She has never lived in Canada, she would have never had a record of landing or confirmation of permanent residence. So how could have this child received their citizenship?

saria1

May 22, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 28, 2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
January 16, 2015
File Transfer...
January 23, 2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
October 27, 2014
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
June 17, 2015
LANDED..........
June 30, 2015
BMB said:
Saria1, if that is the case, then how could the three older children have their canadian citizenships. None of them were born in Canada, all were born in Mexico and have lived there since they were born. The one child was born in March 2009, and did not receive citizenship until December 2011. She has never lived in Canada, she would have never had a record of landing or confirmation of permanent residence. So how could have this child received their citizenship?
The law changed for kids born after April 2009, if I recall correctly. So the kids born after 2009 are the ones who need citizenship? If yes, then she needs to sponsor them, they are in Canada illegally. First, I'm pretty sure she needs to make sure the kids get legal, I think that can be done by temporary resident visa's, which need renewing every 6 months. Then she can start with this page and read carefully. They need physicals and she needs to fill out the sponsorship paperwork and their PR paperwork. She is better off applying OUTLAND, through Mexico, even though she's in Canada, it's much faster.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse.asp

My best advice is to go into the family sponsorship board and ask in there. So many knowledgeable people who can help them get on the right path, concerning getting the kids legal so she can sponsor them, etc.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/family-class-sponsorship-b5.0/