+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for a thesis based master degree at uOttawa, what are my chances?

elideli

May 13, 2015
Hi,

I'm about to apply for the Msc Electronic Business Technologies at University of Ottawa, it is a thesis based master. I would like to know what are my chances to be admitted with a 14/20 bachelor degree from France which is the equivalent of A-(85%) in Canada?

Is it hard to obtain funding? I don't have any supervisor for now, they let you apply without it, but will it lower my chances?

Based on your experience how long they take in average to render their admission decision?

Please feel free to share your thoughts!

Thanks

rafzy

Champion Member
Jan 31, 2015
based on my personal experience in past, applying without a supervisor for a research masters makes your application very weak as your chances of getting accepted becomes really low.

rafzy

Champion Member
Jan 31, 2015
Regarding admission decision, they will distribute your application in all the professors of that dept in which you applied.
If anyone is interested in you, he/she will contact you directly.
In case no one accepts you, you will get a refusal in 2.5-3 months maximum

Jash11

Jan 10, 2015
I had three approval mails from professor's of Uof Alberta but university rejected my profile. Approval mail from professor's also clearly mentioned that they don't have any role in admission process.

Also can anybody guide me any universities for January Intake for my profile given below.

10th -- 73%
12th -- 53%
B.E (Computer Science ) -- 63%
GRE -- 308
TOEFL -- 100
Total IT Experience -- 6.5 Years (IBM)

elideli

May 13, 2015
Jash11 said:
I had three approval mails from professor's of Uof Alberta but university rejected my profile. Approval mail from professor's also clearly mentioned that they don't have any role in admission process.

Also can anybody guide me any universities for January Intake for my profile given below.

10th -- 73%
12th -- 53%
GRE -- 308
TOEFL -- 100
rafzy said:
Regarding admission decision, they will distribute your application in all the professors of that dept in which you applied.
If anyone is interested in you, he/she will contact you directly.
In case no one accepts you, you will get a refusal in 2.5-3 months maximum
Thanks for the insights, now do you think it's a better strategy to apply for the course based version, get very good grade in the first semestre and transfer to the thesis based version? How likely is this scenario?

I find it risky to be assigned a supervisor, imagine you don't go well with your supervisor, then you are stuck. This is why I thought it would be better to go with the course based and then make a transfer after finding a suitable supervisor. Any opinion?

Jash11

Jan 10, 2015
Not sure about Uof Ottawa but there is no funding for students who opted for course Based M.Sc in uof Alberta.

For thesis based few students are getting upto 2.5k/month but to notice that selection of your profile is not on your professor's will.
All mails from professor's clearly stated that selection procedure/team is different and their acceptance does not hold any good if selection committee rejects your profile.

Also don't you feel you are little late for Fall'15 application ?

Michael0260

Mar 27, 2015
Jash11 said:

10th -- 73%
12th -- 53%
GRE -- 308
TOEFL -- 100
Hi Jash,
In what program were you applying to in UofA?
I'm applying to MSc Materials Eng. program but haven't got any feed back until now. kinda worry sick. I think the will reject me.
Were you contacting the professors before/after you've gotten any feedback?

legro

Star Member
May 18, 2015
App. Filed.......
09-06-2015
Med's Request
18-07-2015
Med's Done....
upfront, 21-07-2015
LANDED..........
06-09-2015
The quality of your proposal would determine, in addition to the availability of a supervisor for your proposal. Your grades are good. However, funding, upon admission, you would have access to list of available funding. some of which would require a separate application. My advise would be to apply, and keep your fingers crossed. UOttawa is good institution you would love. Might be coming there by Fall 2015 for LLM

Jash11

Jan 10, 2015
@ Michael0260 :

I had applied for M.Sc : Computer Science ( Database Systems).
Professor's list is available on UofA website. Send them mail showing your interest but guess now its too late.

Also check with your supervisor , for each profile a supervisor is allotted for all UofA application.

MTA4142

Star Member
May 10, 2023
Hello all,

I got admission into applied computer science (thesis-based stream) at the university of Winnipeg. My thesis supervisors have awarded me 20,000 CAD per year. They also have a great project on which I will work. My supervisor wrote a detailed letter to IRCC on which he talked about the project, funding and all the needed details about my tasks I am set to do.
What do you think will this master's degree help me improve my chances at getting the study permit approved?

Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello all,

I got admission into applied computer science (thesis-based stream) at the university of Winnipeg. My thesis supervisors have awarded me 20,000 CAD per year. They also have a great project on which I will work. My supervisor wrote a detailed letter to IRCC on which he talked about the project, funding and all the needed details about my tasks I am set to do.
What do you think will this master's degree help me improve my chances at getting the study permit approved?

Thanks
Yes any advanced degree from a decent university in Canada increases the chances of approval. Assume your choice of program make sense based on you education and work history. The one other big thing would be finances. Although you have some funding you will still be expected to show some savings.

Reactions: MTA4142