Application cancelled - how to appeal?

alzs-

Star Member
Mar 15, 2017
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Guys,
I'm sure this has been covered somewhere here, but I am so upset that I can't seem to find the strength to search properly.

After 62 days of waiting after submitting documents, I received an email today saying my application was cancelled due to lacking of USA PCC.

The thing is: I have an MBA from University of Pittsburgh. But it is a global MBA offered simultaneously at the US, Brazil and Europe. I attended classes in Brazil and went to the US only 2 times (one week each) for the Global Forum (both times listed in my travel history).

In their letter they justify as "This document is required based on address/background history from 2015/05 to 2016/10. It appears you went to school for six months or more in that country."

Maybe my mistake was that when I listed my degree I did put the country as US, but I didn't think I had another option since University of Pittsburgh is not even a legal entity in Brazil.

I have never been for more than 6 months in the USA even adding up all the trips I have took there.

Can anyone please give me some direction?

picklee

Feb 19, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Did you include an explanation about the program in your LOE? You can appreciate that someone who is looking at all the details you submitted could have come to the conclusion that your personal history doesn't match where you reported that you studied.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This has happened before, when doing distance learning the country of study is the country where you reside not the one where the university is located.

You can raise a CSE to appeal your case but no guarantees that it will be reopened.

alzs-

Star Member
Mar 15, 2017
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Did you include an explanation about the program in your LOE? You can appreciate that someone who is looking at all the details you submitted could have come to the conclusion that your personal history doesn't match where you reported that you studied.
I feel really stupid I didn't think of that, but the truth is I didn't!!

alzs-

Star Member
Mar 15, 2017
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Expert members: what is faster: to appeal or to submit a new application? I have an ITA sitting on my husband's account!

picklee

Feb 19, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, submit a new application, but you will need to explain why your school moved from US to Brazil between ITA and submission of eAPR.

samirachugh01

Feb 21, 2017
Hi Guys

My application has also been rejected due to India PCC issue.

"The Police certificate from India that you provided with your application is not acceptable as it does not cover the full period of time spent in India. You have indicated in your address/personal history that you resided in India from 2006 to 2017"

I have been citizen of India by birth and never been to any other country. However within India, I have resided at different places during my schooling, college and then job. I had got the PCC done for my current address(since 2006).

Am I suppose to get it done from all the places within India? If so, any idea whether its from 18years of age on wards or since my birth?

Please help with your valuable suggestions.

Regards

Samira

Jojii

Star Member
Jun 13, 2012
NOC Code......
Guys,
I'm sure this has been covered somewhere here, but I am so upset that I can't seem to find the strength to search properly.

After 62 days of waiting after submitting documents, I received an email today saying my application was cancelled due to lacking of USA PCC.

The thing is: I have an MBA from University of Pittsburgh. But it is a global MBA offered simultaneously at the US, Brazil and Europe. I attended classes in Brazil and went to the US only 2 times (one week each) for the Global Forum (both times listed in my travel history).

In their letter they justify as "This document is required based on address/background history from 2015/05 to 2016/10. It appears you went to school for six months or more in that country."

Maybe my mistake was that when I listed my degree I did put the country as US, but I didn't think I had another option since University of Pittsburgh is not even a legal entity in Brazil.

I have never been for more than 6 months in the USA even adding up all the trips I have took there.

Can anyone please give me some direction?
I suppose it will be quicker to submit a new application via your new ITA. you do have a good score.

Look at the following text on CIC website. This might be helpful in your case for your new application. And most definitely submit an LOE with proof that you only were in US for a couple of weeks. Good Luck.

Applicants are instructed to indicate that their education was completed by correspondence by typing in brackets {by correspondence} on the same line as the education institution name found in the Education Background Information tab of GCMS. The discretion remains with the officer to decide if a police certificate is required for the country of the education institution.
reference: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/intake-complete.asp

Reactions: jes_ON

vishalg

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2015
NOC Code......
Hi Guys

My application has also been rejected due to India PCC issue.

"The Police certificate from India that you provided with your application is not acceptable as it does not cover the full period of time spent in India. You have indicated in your address/personal history that you resided in India from 2006 to 2017"

I have been citizen of India by birth and never been to any other country. However within India, I have resided at different places during my schooling, college and then job. I had got the PCC done for my current address(since 2006).

Am I suppose to get it done from all the places within India? If so, any idea whether its from 18years of age on wards or since my birth?

Please help with your valuable suggestions.

Regards

Samira
Did you get it from Police station or Passport Seva Kendra (PSK). The one from PSK covers your stay in the country ( irrespective of how many cities you've resided) and police station gives you a PCC with address ( of specific city) and time period.

alzs-

Star Member
Mar 15, 2017
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I suppose it will be quicker to submit a new application via your new ITA. you do have a good score.

Look at the following text on CIC website. This might be helpful in your case for your new application. And most definitely submit an LOE with proof that you only were in US for a couple of weeks. Good Luck.

reference: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/intake-complete.asp
Thanks, I saw yesterday this same thread. My plan is to put Brazil as country of education, add the course's acceptance letter (which states where it was held) and explain that we had a previous application canceled because of this misunderstanding.

Hope it goes well....

alzs-

Star Member
Mar 15, 2017
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just to give an update: my first application got canceled on 15th June. I called CIC on the 23rd, explained the situation and was told to call back after 2 weeks. I could never reach them again (lines were always full), and since my new application had already passed medicals, I stopped caring about it. For my surprise, I got an email today saying my case was active again and asking me to pay the fees (they were refunded) in the next 7 days! It took almost one month to hear back from CIC.

So, if your application got cancelled as incomplete for what you believe it is not a real reason, there is hope! :)

Reactions: spth38

flyflysophia11

Star Member
Nov 10, 2016
App. Filed.......
19-02-2017
Med's Done....
30-03- 2017
Passport Req..
11-08-2017
hi great news congrats! just curious, what are you going to do with the new one since youve already paid the application fee? will you withdraw?

conscientious

Sep 8, 2017
Just to give an update: my first application got canceled on 15th June. I called CIC on the 23rd, explained the situation and was told to call back after 2 weeks. I could never reach them again (lines were always full), and since my new application had already passed medicals, I stopped caring about it. For my surprise, I got an email today saying my case was active again and asking me to pay the fees (they were refunded) in the next 7 days! It took almost one month to hear back from CIC.

So, if your application got cancelled as incomplete for what you believe it is not a real reason, there is hope! :)
It seems I'm also in a similar situation. I have received the ITA.

My educational credentials (BCS PGD ) are from the UK but I studied for them through a partner institution in my home country, Sri Lanka. The UK body has a presence (a regional country office) in my country and they conduct all examinations by themselves with the help of British Council here in my country. Therefore, I did not have to visit UK to get the qualification.

I got the ECA done and it mentions that the credential is a UK one. In the e-APR I have mentioned I obtained the qualification while residing in Sri Lanka.

My question does my situation count as education by correspondence ?

As per CIC guidelines an applicant must indicate this in the application as below
  • Applicants are instructed to indicate that their education was completed by correspondence by typing in brackets {by correspondence} on the same line as the education institution name found in the Education Background Information tab of GCMS. The discretion remains with the officer to decide if a police certificate is required for the country of the education institution
Will failing to indicate this will result in any misrepresentation of information?

Here are the options I see that I can go for

01. Institution - BCS country - Sri Lanka
02. Institution - BCS {by correspondence} country - Sri Lanka
03. Institution - BCS {by correspondence} country - UK

What option do you suggest that I should put ? Please help !

alzs-

Star Member
Mar 15, 2017
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It seems I'm also in a similar situation. I have received the ITA.

My educational credentials (BCS PGD ) are from the UK but I studied for them through a partner institution in my home country, Sri Lanka. The UK body has a presence (a regional country office) in my country and they conduct all examinations by themselves with the help of British Council here in my country. Therefore, I did not have to visit UK to get the qualification.

I got the ECA done and it mentions that the credential is a UK one. In the e-APR I have mentioned I obtained the qualification while residing in Sri Lanka.

My question does my situation count as education by correspondence ?

As per CIC guidelines an applicant must indicate this in the application as below
  • Applicants are instructed to indicate that their education was completed by correspondence by typing in brackets {by correspondence} on the same line as the education institution name found in the Education Background Information tab of GCMS. The discretion remains with the officer to decide if a police certificate is required for the country of the education institution
Will failing to indicate this will result in any misrepresentation of information?

Here are the options I see that I can go for

01. Institution - BCS country - Sri Lanka
02. Institution - BCS {by correspondence} country - Sri Lanka
03. Institution - BCS {by correspondence} country - UK

What option do you suggest that I should put ? Please help !
On my new application I put Brazil as country of education, not USA. And added an LOE explaining the misunderstanding of the cancelled application.

Reactions: conscientious