+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application being processed. Can I leave the country?

jpscuba

Apr 18, 2015
I'm being sponsored by my spouse(canadian) and we have already sent in my Inland Application (Permanent Residency).

I am currently on a Visitor visa but I also sent in an Open Work Application attached to my PR application to extend my stay and to be allowed to work.

My Visitor visa expires on May 3rd. From the date it expires until I receive a decision I will have an implied status.
Until this point is all good!

Now, what would happen if I had to go back home? I still have a flight booked for April 28th, 2015, which I wasn't planning on using but my grandma was diagnosed with cancer and knowing that, I wonder if I could take this flight home, spend a quality time with my family, support them and then buy another flight back to canada.

By the time I would comeback, my visitor visa will have expired. How can I board back and what should I expect from the immigration upon arrival?

Can I do this at all, without losing my PR application or any complications?

Appreciate your time, thank you.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As soon as you leave Canada your implied status leaves with you.

If you do not hold a passport from a visa exempt country, you would likely not be able return on a commercial carrier without obtaining a new visa.

If you are visa exempt, you do run the risk of being denied re-entry into Canada, which would be a big problem for an Inland applicant. Unfortunately, there's no way of knowing what CBSA would do, but having proof that you have an application for sponsorship submitted would certainly help...maybe.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That really complicates things for you if you decide to leave.

Good luck to you and your Grandmother.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You'll need to apply for a new visitor visa from Brazil and hope it's approved. If it's not approved, you'll have to start the PR sponsorship process from scratch using the outland process.