+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application after refusal

Zhanna22

May 16, 2019
Hi guys, my previous application to visit my boyfriend has been refused based on travel history and financial status
I’m considering re applying now
So I have a few questions to ask before re applying to make sure I don’t make the same mistakes again
I’ve been to a number of EU countries and I’m a resident in the UK. I’ve never overstated my visas. I’ve had employment since March last year so it’s been over a year now. I’ve got a letter from my employer stating that they’re granting me holiday and my position will be kept after I return in 2 weeks. However my employment is only part time and I’m also a part time student at university. I’m 21 yo btw.
So my questions are
1. Should I mention the previous refusal in my application? I wrote a detailed letter explaining all my trips abroad and enclosed a scan copy of my passport stamps. I explained that after each holiday I always came back to uk and that I’ve only spend 1-2 weeks abroad in each country where I went.
2. I have two bank accounts. 20000$ cad on my main one. That’s why I don’t really understand what they didn’t like about my financial status. I also have another one (savings account) with the same amount of money, should I disclose my second one? However it’s my parents who always put money into my savings account.
3. Is university information gonna help in any way? Ive done 2 years of uni and I have 2 more to go.
4. And finally what do I write in my purpose of visit letter? Since my purpose is to mainly visit my bf and his family.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
I assume you are not actually from the UK, as you say you are resident. What passport do you hold. It is strange that one of the reasons is travel, if you have been to EU countries. That is usually what they look for.
1. You have to mention all previous refusals (for all countries) in your next application. If you fail to do this, they could ban you for misrepresentation, so that is a must.
2. It is recommended that you only go for 2-3 weeks max. How long did you apply for the last time? $20000 is more than enough, but maybe the reason of financial status refers to your part-time job and not your bank account. the more money you can prove you have, the better it looks for the application
3. You could put in information about the length of your course and if you have paid tuition in advance, but to be honest it's not a huge reason to go back.
4. That's a tricky one that I will let others answer. Did you mention your bf in your last application?

You have to convince them that you will go back to the UK. Have you got family there? Have you got property, possessions?

Zhanna22

May 16, 2019
I assume you are not actually from the UK, as you say you are resident. What passport do you hold. It is strange that one of the reasons is travel, if you have been to EU countries. That is usually what they look for.
1. You have to mention all previous refusals (for all countries) in your next application. If you fail to do this, they could ban you for misrepresentation, so that is a must.
2. It is recommended that you only go for 2-3 weeks max. How long did you apply for the last time? $20000 is more than enough, but maybe the reason of financial status refers to your part-time job and not your bank account. the more money you can prove you have, the better it looks for the application
3. You could put in information about the length of your course and if you have paid tuition in advance, but to be honest it's not a huge reason to go back.
4. That's a tricky one that I will let others answer. Did you mention your bf in your last application?

You have to convince them that you will go back to the UK. Have you got family there? Have you got property, possessions?
I’m from Ukraine, I’ve been legally living in the uk for 4 years with my family. My job pays around £900 a month which equals to approximately 1500 cad a month.
1. How do I mention it? In what section? In what context?
2. I’m going for 2 weeks only. I have a lot of savings and my job is part time but not too bad wage as you can see.
4. Yes of course I mentioned him. He wrote an invitation letter for me.
The thing is, I can only be absent from the uk for 3 months a year in order to apply for a British citizenship in a year.. so there is not a chance I’m gonna stay in Canada illegally and lose my British citizenship which I can get in one year in the uk.
I’ve been to quite a few eu countries for 1-2 weeks on holiday, I don’t understand why it is a disadvantage?

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
I’m from Ukraine, I’ve been legally living in the uk for 4 years with my family. My job pays around £900 a month which equals to approximately 1500 cad a month.
1. How do I mention it? In what section? In what context?
2. I’m going for 2 weeks only. I have a lot of savings and my job is part time but not too bad wage as you can see.
4. Yes of course I mentioned him. He wrote an invitation letter for me.
The thing is, I can only be absent from the uk for 3 months a year in order to apply for a British citizenship in a year.. so there is not a chance I’m gonna stay in Canada illegally and lose my British citizenship which I can get in one year in the uk.
I’ve been to quite a few eu countries for 1-2 weeks on holiday, I don’t understand why it is a disadvantage?
There is a section that asks if you have ever been refused a visa or denied entry. It's just a tick box.
Did you mention how much your job pays in your letter/SOP? You really shouldn't have any issue with your finances. They seems more than enough.
Regarding your boyfriend, as I said it is tricky as they may look at you just deciding to stay there with him.
You misunderstand me regarding the travel. Your travel history is good as you have been to EU countries. Did you visit these countries with your Ukranian passport?

I think your application actually looks quite good. The only red flags I can see is your boyfriend and maybe your part time job. I would recommend applying for notes as they tell you exactly the reasons you were refused. It sounds strange, but they often give generic reasons on the refusal.

Zhanna22

May 16, 2019

There is a section that asks if you have ever been refused a visa or denied entry. It's just a tick box.
Did you mention how much your job pays in your letter/SOP? You really shouldn't have any issue with your finances. They seems more than enough.
Regarding your boyfriend, as I said it is tricky as they may look at you just deciding to stay there with him.
You misunderstand me regarding the travel. Your travel history is good as you have been to EU countries. Did you visit these countries with your Ukranian passport?

I think your application actually looks quite good. The only red flags I can see is your boyfriend and maybe your part time job. I would recommend applying for notes as they tell you exactly the reasons you were refused. It sounds strange, but they often give generic reasons on the refusal.
By the way there wasn’t a section to tick whether I’ve been denied entry before or not. That’s why I was questioning should I just include explanation letters of my travel history and finances.
Another thing is I’m living with my parents and money I earn I only spend on my own needs, my step father (who’s English) pays for mortgage, bills etc. Is it good or bad for my application? Should I include a letter from him explaining that? And should I add another bank account which is on my name but it’s my parents who always put money there, or is it a red flag ? Thank you very much !!

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
I just looked at the form and there is a question under background information
Question 2

Check the box to indicate if you have ever:

1. remained beyond the validity of your status, attended school without authorization or worked without authorization in Canada.
  2. been refused a visa or permit, denied entry or ordered to leave Canada or any other country or territory.
  3. Applied previously to enter or remain in Canada.
  4. If you checked “Yes” to one of the above questions, provide details.
you must check number 2

The fact that you don't have rent or a mortgage or bills doesn't look good, as that says to the officer that you don't really have good ties. All you can do in emphasise that you want/need to go back as you have a job a college course and your family are there. If you have another bank account with savings, include evidence of that too. You say your parents put money in it? What do you mean. Is all the money in it gifts from your parents?
As I said I think it would be a good idea to apply for notes. They take about a month to come and it would give you more of an indication of what you need to fix for your next application, as the reasons you have been given don't really look good reasons (you have good finances and travel history.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The fact that you are living in a 3rd country without permanent status is the big issue. On top of that there is also a chance you could ask for asylum when you enter Canada. Being a student with a part-time job isn’t really considered strong ties. How did you meet your partner? You can try again but I am less optimistic about your prospects. The one thing that you should stress is your need to return to the UK to get citizenship. That is your strongest reason why you will leave Canada.

Zhanna22

May 16, 2019
The fact that you are living in a 3rd country without permanent status is the big issue. On top of that there is also a chance you could ask for asylum when you enter Canada. Being a student with a part-time job isn’t really considered strong ties. How did you meet your partner? You can try again but I am less optimistic about your prospects. The one thing that you should stress is your need to return to the UK to get citizenship. That is your strongest reason why you will leave Canada.
That’s what i stresses in my last application, that in one year I can get my uk citizenship.. so moving to Canada illegaly makes no sense. Tbh I know some jobless people from developing countries getting visas approved.. while I’ve got everything in the uk and there is zero need for me to move or seek asylums. And I’ve met my partner while he was on holiday to the uk.
Any advice how I can stress my need to come back not to lose my status in the uk?

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
Other people getting visa's doesn't mean you will get a visa. Everybody's application is different in some way.
I understand you are stating you will not apply for asylum and you will go back to the UK, but the officer is wanting you to prove it to remove the doubt in their mind. Al lot of people do this and then stay. You may be genuine, but unfortunately there are far more people do this than you can imagine (say they will go back and just don't)
As you are temporary status in the uk, maybe it would be better to wait a year, get your citizenship and then you will only need an ETA to travel to Canada. Just a suggestion.
That’s what i stresses in my last application, that in one year I can get my uk citizenship.. so moving to Canada illegaly makes no sense. Tbh I know some jobless people from developing countries getting visas approved.. while I’ve got everything in the uk and there is zero need for me to move or seek asylums. And I’ve met my partner while he was on holiday to the uk.
Any advice how I can stress my need to come back not to lose my status in the uk?

Zhanna22

May 16, 2019
Other people getting visa's doesn't mean you will get a visa. Everybody's application is different in some way.
I understand you are stating you will not apply for asylum and you will go back to the UK, but the officer is wanting you to prove it to remove the doubt in their mind. Al lot of people do this and then stay. You may be genuine, but unfortunately there are far more people do this than you can imagine (say they will go back and just don't)
As you are temporary status in the uk, maybe it would be better to wait a year, get your citizenship and then you will only need an ETA to travel to Canada. Just a suggestion.
Yes, I appreciate that it doesn’t matter what I say, that they will only consider real proof and documents. I thought that my ability to get uk citizenship in a year is good enough proof. But there can’t be any documents to prove it unfortunately. However I’ve included all my travel history to indicate that I’ve been to many eu countries and always came back to the uk, that I have a decent job here, I’m in the middle of my degree, plus good amount of savings. I hope they won’t just reject me automatically based on the fact that I don’t live in the country where I was born.
If you don’t mind I would like to ask another question. In the client information section should I enclose a letter explaining how I reflected my reasons for refusal in my new application?

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
I still think you should apply for notes. Your travel history is good as i said, so really that shouldn't be a factor. The ability to apply for UK citizenship in a year doesn't prove anything, you are still a temporary resident. Apply for notes. You will get them in a month. I think they have doubts about you still being temporary in the UK

Zhanna22

May 16, 2019
I still think you should apply for notes. Your travel history is good as i said, so really that shouldn't be a factor. The ability to apply for UK citizenship in a year doesn't prove anything, you are still a temporary resident. Apply for notes. You will get them in a month. I think they have doubts about you still being temporary in the UK
Thank you very much for your help.
So my application is basically ready now but I would really need some practical advice.
So basically I wrote a cover letter stating that my previous application has been refused based on travel history and finances and I explained how I addressed these issues in my current application. I gave them a letter from work granting me paid holiday to visit Canada, 8 months pay slips, I also gave them a proof that I’m currently at uni and that my uni is self funded so I’m unlikely to abandon it. Further, I have submit my savings account which I haven’t submitted with my previous application. I understand that they might find it suspicious that’s why I enclosed proof that this account was open 2 years ago. I’ve been trying to explain that my life is well established in the Uk, that I’ve been paying into my uk pension , that I have a private medical insurance etc. There is another issue. A couple of months ago my parents transferred £1000 into my bank account to help to pay for uni. Should I explain somewhere the purpose of that money coming from my parents? Do you have any practical advice please?

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
You say you explained the uni is self funded and then say you have had help from your parents? So it isn't entirely self funded. Even if it was self funded, that is still not a good reason. You are still temporary in the UK. That is the big red flag. As I say, you may be missing something here. Get notes and you will get the refusal reasons in detail. If you don't you are applying again not knowing the real reasons you were refused. I am saying this because I don't want you to apply again and be refused again. I want you to get the visa this time. Oh and remember to check the box saying you have been refused ON the application as well.

Zhanna22

May 16, 2019
You say you explained the uni is self funded and then say you have had help from your parents? So it isn't entirely self funded. Even if it was self funded, that is still not a good reason. You are still temporary in the UK. That is the big red flag. As I say, you may be missing something here. Get notes and you will get the refusal reasons in detail. If you don't you are applying again not knowing the real reasons you were refused. I am saying this because I don't want you to apply again and be refused again. I want you to get the visa this time. Oh and remember to check the box saying you have been refused ON the application as well.
Thank you very much. Yes, I’ve ticked that box about refusal after you pointed out where to look for it.
Unfortunately I only have holidays in August and if I wait another month just to get notes that would be too long for me. Plus if the fact that I’m in the uk on a visa is a big red flat for them then I won’t be able to do anything about that. I’m just trying to work with what I have. I’ve been trying to make sure that my application is strong enough overall and I was trying to emphasise that I have a well established life in the uk and there is no need to become an illegal immigrant and abandon my employment, family and university.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
Well all you can do is try. As long as you emphasise everything that you would be losing if you didn't go back to the UK. Hopefully you will get a good result this time. Good luck