+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

cantaloupe

Star Member
Jul 25, 2014
Ontario
Yes you can definitely count on those 5 points.
They don't see your transcripts (of course if you don't voluntarily put them in your application!)... they only see your institution's attestation to your status as a full time PhD student. So, there is absolutely no concerns about the number of hours you spend over courses, etc.

Neilneil2001 said:
Hi all,

Can you please kindly answer this qustion of mine:

I have just finished the second year of my PhD program, Can I account on 5 points of adaptability?

the website says:
"Your past study in Canada
You finished at least two academic years of full-time study (in a program at least two years long) at a secondary or post-secondary school in Canada.

Full-time study means at least 15 hours of classes per week, and you must have stayed in good academic standing (as set out by the school) during that time.

Most PhDs don't have that much of class work as me. did they accept it for anybody before?

cantaloupe

Star Member
Jul 25, 2014
Ontario
Why don't you ask your family in your home country to put it in the mail. or they could courier the card and you'll get it in a week, no?... won't be too late, there's room for ~400 more applications! :)

kab said:
Hi guys, I would really appreciate your help as I finished collecting all documents but I have one problem with my national ID. My national ID is in my home country but I have a photocopy of it on my laptop. I asked a professional translator to translate it and he did. However, I believe that I should also get this photocopy notarized. Unfortunately, I cannot do that because in order to have notarized, a lawyer should compare the original to the photocopy. Do you think I should write an explanation letter about this and include it in my application? Or, should I just submit the photocopy with the translation (and affidavit) without any information about why I did not get notarized?

P.S: I will also submit my birth certificate. Therefore, I am not sure if they want me to submit a notarized photocopy + Translation of my ID.

pfau

Nov 18, 2013
Thanks a lot for this! I'm really hoping (and assuming) that you're right! The adviser from the international office at my university that gave me this advice is normally very insightful, accurate, and helpful, so I'm fairly confident that the two of you are right on this.

Thanks for everyone's input and continuing good luck wishes to all...

cantaloupe said:
You do NOT need to have a valid study permit to land as an immigrant. This is a completely separate process, even though when you applied, you had to show a valid permit for up to 1 year, solely because you were not applying from within your country of citizenship.
Also, regarding your ongoing studies in Canada, study permit is intended to show you're legally "residing" in Canada... In other words, as long as you do not currently live IN Canada without a valid status (or an implied status) you are fine. If you need to go back to Canada to continue your degree, and you have not landed yet, then yes, you should renew your study permit at the border (or online).

kab

Oct 2, 2014
cantaloupe said:
Why don't you ask your family in your home country to put it in the mail. or they could courier the card and you'll get it in a week, no?... won't be too late, there's room for ~400 more applications! :)
Thank you for your reply. The problem is that my family is not living in my home country. They left my home country 3 years ago.

Neilneil2001

Sep 27, 2014
cantaloupe said:
A:Yes you can definitely count on those 5 points.
They don't see your transcripts (of course if you don't voluntarily put them in your application!)... they only see your institution's attestation to your status as a full time PhD student. So, there is absolutely no concerns about the number of hours you spend over courses, etc.
Hi all,

Q: Can you please kindly answer this qustion of mine:

I have just finished the second year of my PhD program, Can I account on 5 points of adaptability?

the website says:
"Your past study in Canada
You finished at least two academic years of full-time study (in a program at least two years long) at a secondary or post-secondary school in Canada.

Full-time study means at least 15 hours of classes per week, and you must have stayed in good academic standing (as set out by the school) during that time.

Most PhDs don't have that much of class work as me. did they accept it for anybody before?
Have you tried that?!
Btw: what does 15hrs of coursework mean?! How many courses it means?!

Thank you

Neilneil2001

Sep 27, 2014
Does anybody know if I can send a new language test score to be added to my documents?

I want to have more points to keep me eligible in case ottawa office rejects a qualification...

RA_toronto

Star Member
Jun 3, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-09-2013
AOR Received.
06-12-2013
File Transfer...
06-12-2013
Med's Request
14-07-2014
Med's Done....
16-07-2014
Passport Req..
12-08-2014
VISA ISSUED...
15-09-2014
LANDED..........
08-10-2014
Hello,

I need urgent help about landing. I saw online that it takes about 40 days for the PR card to arrive in the mail. Can I travel with my student permit and visa (not expired) during those 40 days or do I have to wait for the PR card?

Has anybody traveled during the period between landing and receiving PR card?

Thanks!

RA_toronto

Star Member
Jun 3, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-09-2013
AOR Received.
06-12-2013
File Transfer...
06-12-2013
Med's Request
14-07-2014
Med's Done....
16-07-2014
Passport Req..
12-08-2014
VISA ISSUED...
15-09-2014
LANDED..........
08-10-2014
I didn't want to go through the trouble of translation, so I simply didn't declare my national ID. Every information on my national ID is also available on my birth certificate and my passport. So, it didn't make sense to me to delay my application because of that. I don't want to mislead you in any way but seems like they didn't care about it in my case, and I received my confirmation of PR without any problem.

Good luck!

kab said:
Hi guys, I would really appreciate your help as I finished collecting all documents but I have one problem with my national ID. My national ID is in my home country but I have a photocopy of it on my laptop. I asked a professional translator to translate it and he did. However, I believe that I should also get this photocopy notarized. Unfortunately, I cannot do that because in order to have notarized, a lawyer should compare the original to the photocopy. Do you think I should write an explanation letter about this and include it in my application? Or, should I just submit the photocopy with the translation (and affidavit) without any information about why I did not get notarized?

P.S: I will also submit my birth certificate. Therefore, I am not sure if they want me to submit a notarized photocopy + Translation of my ID.

RA_toronto

Star Member
Jun 3, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-09-2013
AOR Received.
06-12-2013
File Transfer...
06-12-2013
Med's Request
14-07-2014
Med's Done....
16-07-2014
Passport Req..
12-08-2014
VISA ISSUED...
15-09-2014
LANDED..........
08-10-2014
I did both. I sent an email and also mailed the RPRF and proof of funds. In my opinion, do both, it wouldn't hurt.

vivi said:
Hello guys,

In my RPRF request email, I am asked to email the proof of payment to CPC-CTD-Ottawa @ cic.gc.ca. But 2 of my friends, who got their RPRF request just 3 and 4 weeks before me, are asked to mail their proof of payments to Case Processing Centre – Ottawa. Isn't it weird? Has anyone else got the same email like me? I am very suspicious about the Ottawa email system. They never answered or acknowledged my previous emails. At least I have sent 4 emails to them with no reply, even no automatic response.
One more question: What and when should I expect to see a new line in the online system? It still shows only one line: “We received your application for permanent residence on February 13, 2014”.

Thanks

cantaloupe

Star Member
Jul 25, 2014
Ontario
If you haven't landed yet, yes you can.
If you have landed with your immigration visa already, your study permit (or any other Canadian visa you have in your passport) is null and void. If you travel before getting your PR card, you should choose one of these options:

1. Apply for a travel document from the Canadian cosulate in your destination country and use it to come back. (takes time!)
2. If you are visiting the US, or you have the option of coming back to Canada via the US, you can cross the border, in a non-commercial vehicle, using your CoPR document and passport.

Also you should know that the PR card is delivered faster than what they say (in most cases 2~3 weeks).

RA_toronto said:
Hello,

I need urgent help about landing. I saw online that it takes about 40 days for the PR card to arrive in the mail. Can I travel with my student permit and visa (not expired) during those 40 days or do I have to wait for the PR card?

Has anybody traveled during the period between landing and receiving PR card?

Thanks!

Viva2014

Jun 10, 2014
Guys, I need your idea about this.

For 2 years of Phd study, I sent 3 letters with my application: 1. attestation letter (according to the template) 2. an additional letter indicating that I have been a full time student during these 2 years 3. an enrollment certificate for this semester. However, the format of enrollment letter is based on the format of "work off campus" letter and it says:

" This is to certify that the above name is registered at university of *** leading to a degree,diploma or certificate that is at least 6 months in duration.
Term: ***2014
Level : PhD in ***
Expected Graduation date: ***2016
. "

Does it make any problem in getting 5 points of adaptability for 2 years of PhD study since it should be at least 2 years in duration? In fact, as you can see, the letter dose not say that PhD can be obtained in 6 months and even according to the regulation of our university it can be obtained after at least 3 years of study. However, the university gave me a general letter which it gives to any other students who are not necessarily PhD students.

absolute_boy97

Star Member
Feb 14, 2013
Viva2014 said:
In our university, the letter is provided by stamp signature and there is no signature by pen. Probably your university is doing the same thing. You shouldn't be worried as all of my friends who applied for PR used the same template and they didn't face any problem.
I asked them regarding the signature on the attestation letter and here is the reply I got: "Official letters confirming a student's registration status at McGill are signed by the University Registrar." it was also printed on university letterhead and had a stamp too. is this Ok?

Viva2014

Jun 10, 2014
absolute_boy97 said:
I asked them regarding the signature on the attestation letter and here is the reply I got: "Official letters confirming a student's registration status at McGill are signed by the University Registrar." it was also printed on university letterhead and had a stamp too. is this Ok?
Yes, you are totally fine.

CEC12

Star Member
Jul 26, 2013
Viva2014 said:
Guys, I need your idea about this.

For 2 years of Phd study, I sent 3 letters with my application: 1. attestation letter (according to the template) 2. an additional letter indicating that I have been a full time student during these 2 years 3. an enrollment certificate for this semester. However, the format of enrollment letter is based on the format of "work off campus" letter and it says:

" This is to certify that the above name is registered at university of *** leading to a degree,diploma or certificate that is at least 6 months in duration.
Term: ***2014
Level : PhD in ***
Expected Graduation date: ***2016
. "

Does it make any problem in getting 5 points of adaptability for 2 years of PhD study since it should be at least 2 years in duration? In fact, as you can see, the letter dose not say that PhD can be obtained in 6 months and even according to the regulation of our university it can be obtained after at least 3 years of study. However, the university gave me a general letter which it gives to any other students who are not necessarily PhD students.
I guess the adaptability points is granted based on the attestation letter. In that letter, there should be two points; 1) you have completed at least "2 years" toward your PhD. 2) you are in satisfactory academic conditions as per university regulations.
You attestation letter should have these information and then you will get the 5 points.

Viva2014

Jun 10, 2014
CEC12 said:
I guess the adaptability points is granted based on the attestation letter. In that letter, there should be two points; 1) you have completed at least "2 years" toward your PhD. 2) you are in satisfactory academic conditions as per university regulations.
You attestation letter should have these information and then you will get the 5 points.
Thank you so much CEC12. Actually, my letter contains all these information. The only problem that i have is that sentence in my enrollment letter (That is at least 6 months in duration). Does it contradict with the fact that PhD should be a program with at least two years in duration?
My enrollment letter does not specifically say that my program is at least 6 months in duration. It says that whatever degree granted at this university is at least 6 months in duration.