+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Appendix A: Residency obligation Confusion

richard83

Mar 4, 2017
NOC Code......
LANDED..........
01-04-2018
Hi all,

This was asked earlier by other members but I wasnt sure from the responses, hence, asking for a feedback again.

I am renewing my PR card which expires in April 2023. I have completed 775 days in Canada as on date so I am meeting the renewal obligation. Do I need to attach supporting documents showing that I meet the residency obligations or is it not required.

Checklist implies that proof is required if outside Canada over 1095 days which is not my case. However, it also refers to Appendix A which says
  • you must show that you will be able to meet the minimum of 730 days of physical presence in Canada within five (5) years of the date you became a permanent resident.

Hence the confusion.

Also I have a trip planned outside Canada (leaving and returning in March). I am not sure I will get the renewed PR before I leave, but given that I will possibly be outside Canada when they process my request, is this something to consider while sending the application now v/s in April when I am back . Sending in April would leave me open to not having active PR for emergency travel (possibility).

Thanks for your responses.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your assessment is correct. If you have NOT been outside Canada for more than 1095 days, you do not need to submit anything from Appendix A.

Regarding this:
you must show that you will be able to meet the minimum of 730 days of physical presence in Canada within five (5) years of the date you became a permanent resident.

This does not apply because you have already stated that you HAVE met that requirement because you have/had 755 days in Canada already.

I suggest submitting the renewal ASAP. Unless you hold a valid U.S. passport, you will need your valid PR card to return to Canada via a commercial carrier. Keep in mind that once your renewed PR card is issued, your current card expires 60 days later...even if you have not yet received the new card.

Reactions: richard83