+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Appeal the duration of an issued post graduate work permit

Michael1234

Jan 31, 2017
Hi,

I recently graduated from a college, I studied for 2 years and I also did a coop for 4 month, so in total I studied for more than 2 years but CIC issued my post graduate permit only for 2 years. Is there a way to renegotiate a duration of a post grad or once it was issued there is no way to fix it? I'm just afraid that 2 years will not be enough to apply for PR in the case if something goes wrong I want to have one year in reserve.

rcpp

Star Member
Jan 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-06-2014
Passport Req..
27-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
30-07-2014
Michael1234 said:
Hi,

I recently graduated from a college, I studied for 2 years and I also did a coop for 4 month, so in total I studied for more than 2 years but CIC issued my post graduate permit only for 2 years. Is there a way to renegotiate a duration of a post grad or once it was issued there is no way to fix it? I'm just afraid that 2 years will not be enough to apply for PR in the case if something goes wrong I want to have one year in reserve.
Check if your PGWP validity is the same as your passport's expiry. If it is, then that may be the reason why you were only issued a permit valid for 2 years, because PGWP cannot be issued beyond the validity of your passport. So once you've renewed your passport, and have a longer passport validity date, then you can apply to extend your PGWP - which will then be the remaining years/months you're eligible for.

Hope that helps!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Also depends what the documentation from the college indicated for the course on what the duration of the permit might be. And note that permits are clearly stated as 'may' be issued upto 3 years so as with any immigration process nothing is guaranteed or an entitlement. As per previous post check passport expiry first.

Michael1234

Jan 31, 2017
My passport is valid for the next 10 years so it shouldn't be a problem... Can I apply to extend the duration time of postgraduate permit?

rcpp

Star Member
Jan 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-06-2014
Passport Req..
27-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
30-07-2014
Michael1234 said:
My passport is valid for the next 10 years so it shouldn't be a problem... Can I apply to extend the duration time of postgraduate permit?
Did you use that same passport when applying for your PGWP?

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Michael1234 said:
Hi,

1. There is no way to fix it or renegotiate. Only option is court.
2. Don't expect a 3 years PGWP if you are finishing a 1 year course in 2 years, or studying far less credits than normally required for 2 years course.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Was the coop a requirement of your program? In other words, did you need to complete the coop in order to graduate from your program? Or was the coop optional?

Michael1234

Jan 31, 2017
So I graduated from a 2 years program(20-25 courses, 4-5 semesters) and a coop was optional(it's not a required part of the program), in total I spent 2.5 years to graduate from a college.

My passport was valid when I applied, is valid now and it's going to be valid for a very looooong time, it's the most valid piece of ID in the world for the next 10 years! ;D And as the majority of people I just use one valid passport to fill up CIC applications and any other applications because I have just one passport.

The reason why I initially thought that I can renegotiate the duration of my post graduate permit is because all my friends and past classmates who graduated from the same program with me received a 3 years post grad, it just feels unfair that for unknown reason I've received less chances to stay in Canada then others. So I thought that probably it's a good idea to apply for a PGWP / Work Permit extension and explain to an officer this situation.

Keepers

Jun 9, 2018
Hello. I face a similar situation were you able to renegotiate? I feel cheated as well especially since others who did same course received 3 years.

Kristheanne

Oct 1, 2020
Hi,

Hi! I have similar situation. Did you figure it out on how you extended your work permit. Did you email or call ircc?

Kristheanne

Oct 1, 2020
Hello. I face a similar situation were you able to renegotiate? I feel cheated as well especially since others who did same course received 3 years.
Hi! How was your case? Did you call or email cic? Because I face the same situation too. Thanks

Keepers

Jun 9, 2018
Hi! How was your case? Did you call or email cic? Because I face the same situation too. Thanks
Hello,
Can you confirm the expiration date on the passport?
They wont issue PGWP beyond the valididty of the passport.
Also because the term they use on the website says up to 3 years work permit, they may argue to say its not a guarantee for you to get the full 3 years. For sure if you did a 3 year program, then you would be eligible for 3years work permit. And even if the passport had less time than the years you could seek an extension for PGWP, once you renewed the passport and it was coming close to the time.

Keepers

Jun 9, 2018
Hello,
Can you confirm the expiration date on the passport?
They wont issue PGWP beyond the valididty of the passport.
Also because the term they use on the website says up to 3 years work permit, they may argue to say its not a guarantee for you to get the full 3 years. For sure if you did a 3 year program, then you would be eligible for 3years work permit. And even if the passport had less time than the years you could seek an extension for PGWP, once you renewed the passport and it was coming close to the time.
Also, I didnt appeal, because it wouldve been an uphill battle that required lawyering up. Thankfully I was able to get a NOC B type job immediately and worked for a year. You should look at your options for getting an ITA, as different provinces, have streams that may be more accomodating to you.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
If you didn't get 3 years but you deserve it according to the rules then call IRCC and request a reconsideration, this seems to have worked for a lot of people, no lawyers needed.
Also for those applying always include in your letter that you are requesting a 3 year permit if you qualify, especially if you have strange courses/coop which might confuse the officer if they just look at the transcript.