+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Appeal - Serious Criminality - Notice to Appear IAD Conference

cbelgrave

Jan 25, 2016
Good Evening,

My husband and I applied for his PR status back in 2015. He is a US citizen and I am a Canadian Citizen. We applied as Conjugal Partners, but married in 2016, so our application status changed.

In 2017 we received a decision on our case stating that my husband's application was being denied because he is a person described in paragraph 36 (1) (b) and 36 (2) (b) of the Act. He is therefore inadmissible to Canada. Details are below.

"Paragraph 36(1)(b) renders inadmissible a foreign national on grounds of serious criminality for having been convicted of an offence outside Canada that, if committed in Canada, would constitute an offence under an Act of Parliament punishable by a maximum of imprisonment of at least ten years.

Specifically, you have been convicted by the State of Florida on 6th of June 2011 of an offence, namely unemployment compensation fraud for an overpayment of $6,600. If committed in Canada, this offence would be punishable under article 380 (1) (a) of the Canadian Criminal Code, namely fraud and would be punishable by way of indictmentand is liable to a term of imprisonment not exceeding fourteen years.

Moreover, based on your FBI clearance certificate, you were charged with battery on 21 January 1993. In addition, court documentations shows that you were charged and convicted with battery in May 2009. If committed in Canada, this offence would be punishable under article 265 (1)(a) of the Canadian Criminal Code, namely Assault and would be punishable by way of indictment and is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years."

My husband is currently on his second TRV since this decision, while we have been waiting for our appeal hearing. The 1993 and 2009 battery charges resulted in Adjudication Witheld and the Fraud charge resulted in a Pretrial Intervention Program, which in the State of Florida results in the charges being dismissed. The CBC officers we are dealing with at the border have noted in our visitor record that they do not find my husband inadmissable to Canada based on the disposition of these charges.

We have a Notice to Appear scheduled for next week in Toronto. Two questions, what should we expect to happen at the Conference at IAD, and will they consider the opinions of the border officers that are issuing my husbands TRVs?

Thanks in advance for any advice in this area.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you!
You should join the appeals thread in the Family Sponsorship section of the forum and read through the posts there. Plenty of people going through the appeal process there (although no stories that I know of which are similar to yours).

rebeccara

Star Member
Jan 22, 2018
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Hello just wondering what was the outcome of this my husband just received a letter denying entry for the same reason and I am currently filing for rehabilitation any info would help!

cbelgrave

Jan 25, 2016
Hello just wondering what was the outcome of this my husband just received a letter denying entry for the same reason and I am currently filing for rehabilitation any info would help!
Hi There!
We were successful in our appeal. Prior to our appeal hearing we prepared a very detailed response that included both person and work references for my husband along with his military record and commendations.
I would suggest that if you're applying for rehabilitation make sure that you include confirmation of where you are in that process, along with details on why your husband is eligible for rehabilitation. It may seem like a lot of information but you won't be able to speak to anything in the hearing that you haven't already presented to the IAD in advance.

Hope that helps!

rebeccara

Star Member
Jan 22, 2018
Ontario
Category........
FAM
When you received your letter stating he was inadmissible did you apply for the rehabilitation or just go straight into an appeal? I happy to hear you won yours!!!