+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Appeal on Residency Obligation

piedpiper

Star Member
Jan 14, 2019
- Now with COVID-19 Travel Restrictions, how do I really find out whether a particular POE is really operational? I do not want any surprise when I reach the POE.
- Getting Visitor Visa to US to cross the border, is another uphill task these days which can really delay things.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
- Now with COVID-19 Travel Restrictions, how do I really find out whether a particular POE is really operational? I do not want any surprise when I reach the POE.
- Getting Visitor Visa to US to cross the border, is another uphill task these days which can really delay things.
Would really suggest you keep your housing and if possible your job to see if you get reported while entering Canada.

Would also be doing some serious financial calculations because you will not qualify for a full pension which is already not big enough. Have you sent out some CVs to gage how the job market is in your field? Between the economy, the recession, your age, lack of recent Canadian experience are quite a lot of obstacles in a tough job market. There is certainly ageism when hiring and the fact that you don’t have current Canadian experience could also be an issue. Just want to make sure you are both planning if you are allowed but also if you can’t remain longterm.

Reactions: piedpiper

piedpiper

Star Member
Jan 14, 2019
Would really suggest you keep your housing and if possible your job to see if you get reported while entering Canada.

Would also be doing some serious financial calculations because you will not qualify for a full pension which is already not big enough. Have you sent out some CVs to gage how the job market is in your field? Between the economy, the recession, your age, lack of recent Canadian experience are quite a lot of obstacles in a tough job market. There is certainly ageism when hiring and the fact that you don’t have current Canadian experience could also be an issue. Just want to make sure you are both planning if you are allowed but also if you can’t remain longterm.
Certainly I am not going to cut all the links when moving to Canada. At least till I become a citizen. From my past experience, I feel I can get a job, though not a perfect one. I am going to keep all the options open.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Certainly I am not going to cut all the links when moving to Canada. At least till I become a citizen. From my past experience, I feel I can get a job, though not a perfect one. I am going to keep all the options open.
You'd be suprised we see many sell everything so just a friendly suggestion.

Reactions: piedpiper

funloving

Jun 19, 2010
Category........
PNP
Passport Req..
08-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2013
LANDED..........
06-03-2014
I had done only 4 months on pr out of 730 days but I was still let in. I dont think they even stamp on your passports any more. I dont know what this guy is talking about stamping on passport. They don't that now for many months.

piedpiper

Star Member
Jan 14, 2019
I had done only 4 months on pr out of 730 days but I was still let in. I dont think they even stamp on your passports any more. I dont know what this guy is talking about stamping on passport. They don't that now for many months.
Seems like a refreshing news.
- When did you enter?
- Which was your POE?
- Are you saying the officer did not ask anything about your RO?
- Was your PR Card valid at that time?

SecularFirst

Nov 21, 2015
I did multiple entries and exits after becoming PR, they never stamped my passport. But now when I returned after 3 years absence, the officer did stamp my passport. My spouse entered with me on visitor visa and they stamped her passport with a return date. Mine was just an entry stamp with no date on it.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
- When did you enter?
- Which was your POE?
It’s not refreshing. Just indicates the officer was asleep at the switch and not doing their job . If people invested their time in maintaining their RO, versus trying to figure out ways to get into Canada without getting reported ....

funloving

Jun 19, 2010
Category........
PNP
Passport Req..
08-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2013
LANDED..........
06-03-2014
- When did you enter?
- Which was your POE?

Yes, they never asked me anything. My response to your questions:

- When did you enter?
last year
- Which was your POE?
I am not sharing that here but please go for bigger airports like YYZ, YVR etc.
Why would they ask?
Yes

funloving

Jun 19, 2010
Category........
PNP
Passport Req..
08-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2013
LANDED..........
06-03-2014
It’s not refreshing. Just indicates the officer was asleep at the switch and not doing their job . If people invested their time in maintaining their RO, versus trying to figure out ways to get into Canada without getting reported ....
No, you are wrong to say that officers were asleep. This shows your attitude towards Canadian governance and authorities. Please correct your wrong attitude.

The immigration process is all done via immigration kiosks where you need to enter all the information, immigration officers just check basic stuff.

BTW investing your time for RO for PR is a very wrong way of saying. The intention of getting PR is to make Canada your home. There is no concept of "investing time". Please correct your thought process and respect all people.

funloving

Jun 19, 2010
Category........
PNP
Passport Req..
08-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2013
LANDED..........
06-03-2014
No, you are wrong to say that officers were asleep. This shows your attitude towards Canadian governance and authorities. Please correct your wrong attitude.

The immigration process is all done via immigration kiosks where you need to enter all the information, immigration officers just check basic stuff.

BTW investing your time for RO for PR is a very wrong way of saying. The intention of getting PR is to make Canada your home. There is no concept of "investing time". Please correct your thought process and respect all people.

Also its visible in your screen ID i.e. "Copingwithlife". Please try to enjoy life. Have fun in life. Don't judge people.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Yes, they never asked me anything. My response to your questions:

- When did you enter?
last year
- Which was your POE?
I am not sharing that here but please go for bigger airports like YYZ, YVR etc.
Why would they ask?
Yes
OP doesn't have a valid PR card so flying isn't an option for them.

Moreover, you got lucky. Even though the major airports now have kiosks, CBSA officers are still entitled to ask questions about RO compliance, especially if you have been absent from Canada for a lengthy period.

As for this:
The point of PR status is indeed to allow people to make Canada their home, but the law does not care about intent. The law only cares about how many days of presence a PR has; in other words, how much time they have "invested."

Someone who has at least 730 days of presence complies with their RO even if they spend the majority of their time abroad, do not intend to develop any further ties to Canada, and have no particular affection for Canada.

Conversely, someone who has fewer than 730 days of presence has not complied with their RO, even if deep down in their heart, they intended to make their home in Canada, because they did not spend enough time actually doing that.

kri772020

Oct 26, 2020
i am close to 45 days short of 730 days Residency Obligations.
is it luck by chance the RO? or random
do officers check the no of days?