+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

AOR in Feb, Implied status, Visitor Visa? Help needed!

jamesls1

Star Member
Apr 21, 2016
Calgary
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey guys,

Sorry to post a new topic but just want to get some clarity on this and can't seem to find 100% answers elsewhere!

I got an AOR on 10 Feb. I'm FSW Inland. No update after about 41-42 days but that's the norm for FSWI so that's fine.

I just need to know where to go from here... I originally came to Canada on an LMIA but it expired after 1 year and my employer chose not to renew. I got a Visitor Visa in May 2016 for 6 months, then applied again in November and got another. My current VV expires 30 April.

Not sure about Implied Status while waiting for the golden PR and I'm concerned I may have to go home.

Will I be on implied status here under the PR application that's pending, or should I apply for another VV to cover me? I have basically been on VV for 12 months now (+ LMIA on top) so I'm concerned they may not give me another one?

Also- they say you have to apply 30 days before the expiry of your current VV which is fine as it's still about 37 to go... but last time I applied it took 55 days. Last time I applied with 60 days to go so it was approved just in time. This time round, if my VV expires and I'm still waiting for the result, will a shorter 'implied status' cover me until I know whether the new VV is approved?

Basically, will I have to leave Canada? I don't want to as I'm living with my girlfriend here who's Canadian and am hoping to get PR first.

How would you go about this?

andremarques19751

Aug 31, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
BC Inland
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
19-08-2016
AOR Received.
21-09-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
21-09-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Upfront
jamesls1 said:
You should look for info on BOWP - looks like that can work for you. There are some misinformation about eligibility, if you are eligible from AOR in the new system or only after eligibility passed on GCMS. Because your AOR is Feb10th probably you are not eligibility passed yet. I would check this thread here:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/bridging-open-work-permit-bowp-under-express-entry-connect-here-t272029.0.html
It shows few people got BOWP with AOR only, good luck!

zam7

Jun 7, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
08-02-2017
AOR Received.
08-02-2017
File Transfer...
06-04-2017
Med's Done....
24-03-2017
Passport Req..
25-05-2017
VISA ISSUED...
01-06-2017
LANDED..........
05-06-2017
jamesls1 said:
Hey guys,

Sorry to post a new topic but just want to get some clarity on this and can't seem to find 100% answers elsewhere!

I got an AOR on 10 Feb. I'm FSW Inland. No update after about 41-42 days but that's the norm for FSWI so that's fine.

I just need to know where to go from here... I originally came to Canada on an LMIA but it expired after 1 year and my employer chose not to renew. I got a Visitor Visa in May 2016 for 6 months, then applied again in November and got another. My current VV expires 30 April.

Not sure about Implied Status while waiting for the golden PR and I'm concerned I may have to go home.

Will I be on implied status here under the PR application that's pending, or should I apply for another VV to cover me? I have basically been on VV for 12 months now (+ LMIA on top) so I'm concerned they may not give me another one?

Also- they say you have to apply 30 days before the expiry of your current VV which is fine as it's still about 37 to go... but last time I applied it took 55 days. Last time I applied with 60 days to go so it was approved just in time. This time round, if my VV expires and I'm still waiting for the result, will a shorter 'implied status' cover me until I know whether the new VV is approved?

Basically, will I have to leave Canada? I don't want to as I'm living with my girlfriend here who's Canadian and am hoping to get PR first.

I feel you should apply for another visitor visa right away! And additionally, look at a BOWP, don't know if you'll be eligible but it can buy you time. Good luck!

olgac

Star Member
Nov 14, 2016
This interests me.

My case:

I am under Young Professional (IEC) expire date is 10 of May 2017 and this work permit cannot be extended. I applied for PR two days ago AOR 24 of March, 2017,

so I cannot apply for the BOWP, right?

My only option will be to apply for a visitor visa?

Can anyone help me with this?

Thank you!

superwoman91

Mar 14, 2017
jamesls1 said:
Hey guys,

You can apply for a BOWP any time before your currect WP expires. But I would definitely apply for a Visitor Visa, just in case. Because BOWP can take a few months to be approved...

olgac

Star Member
Nov 14, 2016
superwoman91 said:
You can apply for a BOWP any time before your currect WP expires. But I would definitely apply for a Visitor Visa, just in case. Because BOWP can take a few months to be approved...
And visitor visa or extended of visitor visa?

Visitor visa - 8 days current processing time
Extend visitor visa - around 2 months processing time

jamesls1

Star Member
Apr 21, 2016
Calgary
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks guys!

Well the thing is I'm not currently working and haven't since end of April 2016. The VV I got in May 2016 was because I went back to England for a week and when I returned I got a stamp in my passport (visa exempt country etc). The stamp was 6 months, then I applied for a VV while still in country.

So my status is essentially a tourist who's waiting for PR.

Submitting the VV asap before the deadline but I was worried that if I don't hear back for 55-60 days what will happen in between the 30 April and say 25 May? I know they backdate the VV to cover those 25 days but if it gets denied will I have illegally overstayed?

Don't want anything to mess up the PR app!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
jamesls1 said:
So my status is essentially a tourist who's waiting for PR.

Submitting the VV asap before the deadline but I was worried that if I don't hear back for 55-60 days what will happen in between the 30 April and say 25 May? I know they backdate the VV to cover those 25 days but if it gets denied will I have illegally overstayed?

Don't want anything to mess up the PR app!
You don't have a visitor visa, you have visitor status.

Apply to extend your visitor status. Include proof of the PR app and proof of sufficient finances. The 30 days is not a requirement; you can actually apply up until your status expires. IRCC doesn't backdate anything when you apply for an extension; provided you apply before your current status expires, you will have Implied Status until IRCC makes a decision. If the decision is negative, you will need to leave as soon as you can.

This won't have any effect on your PR app.

superwoman91

Mar 14, 2017
olgac said:
And visitor visa or extended of visitor visa?

Visitor visa - 8 days current processing time
Extend visitor visa - around 2 months processing time
I think it's visitor visa (from inside), but not sure. What status do you have now?

lellis2

Nov 20, 2016
Canada
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I feel like this is a good place to ask this question!!!!!:

I am currently here on a study permit but dropped out of my Ph.D. program for April 24th;

I submitted a visitor permit with my PR application on March 24th.

Should there be any reason why they reject my visitor permit?! I showed funds (need $16k for PR application so thats fine), and talked about what I'm going to do while I wait for PR (travel, hike, climb). I'm getting nervous because it's been a week and I haven't heard back from CIC re: my visitor permit (current processing time is 7 days)...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks guys!
lellis2

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
lellis2 said:
I feel like this is a good place to ask this question!!!!!:

I am currently here on a study permit but dropped out of my Ph.D. program for April 24th;

I submitted a visitor permit with my PR application on March 24th.

Should there be any reason why they reject my visitor permit?! I showed funds (need $16k for PR application so thats fine), and talked about what I'm going to do while I wait for PR (travel, hike, climb). I'm getting nervous because it's been a week and I haven't heard back from CIC re: my visitor permit (current processing time is 7 days)...
7 days is the processing time for a TRV. Visitor extensions take a few months, longer if you apply by paper.

You needed to apply to change conditions and extend your stay as a visitor. This is entirely separate from your PR app, so the apps should not have been sent together.

lellis2

Nov 20, 2016
Canada
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for your reply! Sorry if I wasn't clear, I had been here as a student - and am applying to switch to a visitor (change status). I submitted them at the same time, as 2 separate applications.

lellis2

Nov 20, 2016
Canada
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:
7 days is the processing time for a TRV. Visitor extensions take a few months, longer if you apply by paper.

You needed to apply to change conditions and extend your stay as a visitor. This is entirely separate from your PR app, so the apps should not have been sent together.
I submitted the 5708 paperwork ("application to change or extend stay in Canada as a visitor).. can't find a projected timeline on this. Any idea on how long it should take? Thanks for the quick reply.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
lellis2 said:
I submitted the 5708 paperwork ("application to change or extend stay in Canada as a visitor).. can't find a projected timeline on this. Any idea on how long it should take? Thanks for the quick reply.
The processing time is listed on the website, "Visitor extension".