+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anyone who got a Test Invite "in-person or online" in COVID situation while being outside Canada and having updated Home Address to "Outside Canada"?

mandhaata

Aug 9, 2019
Wondering if there are people who received Test Invite "in-person or online" in COVID situation while being outside Canada and having updated Home Address to "Outside Canada"?

We submitted our applications in Sept 2019, received AOR in Nov 2019 and Status changed to in-Process on Jan 07, 2020.
Mid of Jan 2020, we had to move out of Canada (employment reasons) and because I wanted to keep the records straight, I also submitted a request via WebForm to update my Home Address to "Outside Canada Address". Sometime in Feb 2020, our Home Addresses got updated to our "Outside Canada Address".

And now there has not been any movement at all, for the past almost 10 months. I know with IRCC its normal (LOL)

At the same time we are getting a feeling if IRCC puts such applications where applicant has moved out of Canada into some kind of a cold queue, and that creates a different anxiety.
Appreciate if someone can share any recent update on Test Invites - that would help ease our anxiety.

Or else, we plan to come back to Canada to "re-activate" our applications (in case they have been in some dormant state after our move).

Has anyone ever called IRCC helpline to inquire if their application is "active" or "dormant"? Do phone agents have any more info than what is available online via "Check Application Status"

Rie11

Sep 9, 2020
I don't think they can legally put your file on hold because you are located outside of Canada. This is what the official statement on their website says:
Yes. You can leave Canada after we receive your application.

If you need to leave Canada and want to stay eligible for Canadian citizenship, you must:
  • make sure that you live in Canada long enough to keep your Permanent Resident (PR) status
  • be a permanent resident (when you apply)
  • not lose PR status before you take the Oath of Citizenship
  • bring your PR card with you when you leave Canada so you can return easily
I know some people's files were put on hold if they asked for a different date for their test or oath but this is different from your case.
You can try calling IRCC and ask though just to be certain.

mandhaata

Aug 9, 2019
I don't think they can legally put your file on hold because you are located outside of Canada. This is what the official statement on their website says:
Yes. You can leave Canada after we receive your application.

If you need to leave Canada and want to stay eligible for Canadian citizenship, you must:
  • make sure that you live in Canada long enough to keep your Permanent Resident (PR) status
  • be a permanent resident (when you apply)
  • not lose PR status before you take the Oath of Citizenship
  • bring your PR card with you when you leave Canada so you can return easily
I know some people's files were put on hold if they asked for a different date for their test or oath but this is different from your case.
You can try calling IRCC and ask though just to be certain.

Thanks for your inputs.
What is the helpline number for IRCC that we can call for such inquiries? Do phone agents have any more info than what is available online via "Check Application Status"

Rie11

Sep 9, 2020
Client Support Centre contact options
  • Web form
  • Telephone: 1-888-242-2100 (in Canada only)
    • Agents can help you with general and case specific enquiries. They cannot:
      • make decisions on applications
      • help process applications faster, unless you meet the criteria for urgent processing
  • TTY: Call us via the Bell Relay service (BRS): (9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eastern Standard Time)
    • 1-800-855-0511 (Voice to TTY)
    • 711 (TTY to Voice)
    • 1-800-855-1155 (TTY to TTY)

Reactions: mandhaata

mandhaata

Aug 9, 2019
Client Support Centre contact options
  • Web form
  • Telephone: 1-888-242-2100 (in Canada only)
    • Agents can help you with general and case specific enquiries. They cannot:
      • make decisions on applications
      • help process applications faster, unless you meet the criteria for urgent processing
  • TTY: Call us via the Bell Relay service (BRS): (9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eastern Standard Time)
    • 1-800-855-0511 (Voice to TTY)
    • 711 (TTY to Voice)
    • 1-800-855-1155 (TTY to TTY)
Thank you!!

sk6492

Star Member
Sep 20, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-01-2017
AOR Received.
18-01-2017
Med's Done....
21-02-2017
Hello Mandhaata

Congrats on getting the test invite.

Did you get your test invite while your application having the "outside Canada address"

mandhaata

Aug 9, 2019
Hello Mandhaata

Congrats on getting the test invite.

Did you get your test invite while your application having the "outside Canada address"

Thanks!
Yes, I have an "outside Canada address" on my application.
I had updated my application via webform when we moved out of Canada.