+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anyone start studying as soon as they became a landed PR?

merica

Feb 5, 2024
Has anyone landed as a PR and began university? I was thinking this might be a great way to get adjusted to life in Canada compared to working? Just evaluating what might be the best options to beginning life in Canada. Maybe going to school in Canada may mean employers are more open to your applications too?

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Has anyone landed as a PR and began university? I was thinking this might be a great way to get adjusted to life in Canada compared to working? Just evaluating what might be the best options to beginning life in Canada. Maybe going to school in Canada may mean employers are more open to your applications too?
Depends on whether you are in a regulated profession, in a type of job where it is common to ask, or on your skill levels. My employer never cared about my education and the many other job offers I got never asked for it either. If you are in product, marketing, sales, tech, HR, customer support, customer success, etc - no one will ask you for a local degree or prefer one with a local degree(unless it is very hard to differentiate on skill levels e.g. a Barista).

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Well, if you have deep pockets and can afford not to work for another 3 years, then go for it. But the best way to get adjusted to Canadian life is being part of a work force with people of all ages and backgrounds. I graduated 30 years ago and only my work experience and skills have brought me forward in life. My degree helped me getting my first job after graduation, but that was it.