Interview........
July 31, 2012 (approved) went "in process" same day
Passport Req..
May 10, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Visa stamped on August 3, 2012 and passport received back on August 13, 2012
LANDED..........
Oct 21, 2012
I am wondering if anyone else from this forum is moving to Halifax or other parts of Nova Scotia. I have no idea about that place but i will have to go there because my wife wants to stay close to her mother. can you please share your experience about that city or province, do they welcome new immigrants :-* or behave like :mad: :mad: :-X
thanks in advance :)

TSauretBaxter

Jun 6, 2012
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Received 29-03-2012
Doc's Request.
PGR Aug 17-12
AOR Received.
Sponsorship Approved July 3-12/ Mexico AOR Aug 17/12
Med's Done....
February 2012
Interview........
Waived!!
Passport Req..
Sept 12-12
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 19-12
LANDED..........
Sept 21-12
ashunandal said:
I am wondering if anyone else from this forum is moving to Halifax or other parts of Nova Scotia. I have no idea about that place but i will have to go there because my wife wants to stay close to her mother. can you please share your experience about that city or province, do they welcome new immigrants :-* or behave like :mad: :mad: :-X
thanks in advance :)
Halifax is very multi-cultural! You won't have any problems there being mistreated because you are an immigrant. Nova Scotia is known for it's friendly people. You do get some small town minded people outside of the city, as it's very rural and lots of country side. Nova Scotia is a beautiful place. The economy isn't the best (that's why I no longer live there). But Halifax is a decent city. It may be smaller than you're expecting, as people in NS seem to think it's big (but it isn't lol)

ashunandal

Champion Member
Jun 23, 2011
New Delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 26, 2012
File Transfer...
May 1, 2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
May 10, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Oct 21, 2012
TSauretBaxter said:
Halifax is very multi-cultural! You won't have any problems there being mistreated because you are an immigrant. Nova Scotia is known for it's friendly people. You do get some small town minded people outside of the city, as it's very rural and lots of country side. Nova Scotia is a beautiful place. The economy isn't the best (that's why I no longer live there). But Halifax is a decent city. It may be smaller than you're expecting, as people in NS seem to think it's big (but it isn't lol)
thanks for your reply, what do you think, is it a good decision to move there or not? what about jobs and business opportunities??

TSauretBaxter

Jun 6, 2012
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Received 29-03-2012
Doc's Request.
PGR Aug 17-12
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
February 2012
Interview........
Waived!!
Passport Req..
Sept 12-12
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 19-12
LANDED..........
Sept 21-12
ashunandal said:
thanks for your reply, what do you think, is it a good decision to move there or not? what about jobs and business opportunities??
To be honest, it depends on your qualifications. If you have a specific skill that NS needs.. then you will be fine. The cost of living is very low, so if you have a decent income.. you can have a very good quality of life there. If you fall into a more general field, you'll be applying for jobs with many many others, and many people, even with university degrees end up working at call centers. The economy of NS is lower than most of the rest of Canada. But like I said.. if you're able to obtain a decent job, you will enjoy your life there.

ashunandal

Champion Member
Jun 23, 2011
New Delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 26, 2012
File Transfer...
May 1, 2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
May 10, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Oct 21, 2012
TSauretBaxter said:
To be honest, it depends on your qualifications. If you have a specific skill that NS needs.. then you will be fine. The cost of living is very low, so if you have a decent income.. you can have a very good quality of life there. If you fall into a more general field, you'll be applying for jobs with many many others, and many people, even with university degrees end up working at call centers. The economy of NS is lower than most of the rest of Canada. But like I said.. if you're able to obtain a decent job, you will enjoy your life there.
i have done masters in engineering and management from England, UK but i dont know, if they consider degrees from outside Canada. we are planning to start some kind of business in future, i hope we will be able to earn living expenses ;)
thanks again and wish you great future with your family :)

TSauretBaxter

Jun 6, 2012
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Received 29-03-2012
Doc's Request.
PGR Aug 17-12
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
February 2012
Interview........
Waived!!
Passport Req..
Sept 12-12
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 19-12
LANDED..........
Sept 21-12
ashunandal said:
i have done masters in engineering and management from England, UK but i dont know, if they consider degrees from outside Canada. we are planning to start some kind of business in future, i hope we will be able to earn living expenses ;)
thanks again and wish you great future with your family :)
If you have studied in the UK it should be more easily transferrable. With your qualifications you'll definitely find something to pay your living expenses. Like I said the cost of living is low, the taxes are a but high, but nothing you can do about that :) Take a look at the HRDC job bank for ideas of what each province is currently hiring.

ashunandal

Champion Member
Jun 23, 2011
New Delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 26, 2012
File Transfer...
May 1, 2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
May 10, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Oct 21, 2012
TSauretBaxter said:
If you have studied in the UK it should be more easily transferrable. With your qualifications you'll definitely find something to pay your living expenses. Like I said the cost of living is low, the taxes are a but high, but nothing you can do about that :) Take a look at the HRDC job bank for ideas of what each province is currently hiring.
thanks a lot for your replies and good luck for your application :)

janita

Sep 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buenos Aires
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-04-2011
AOR Received.
17-05-2011
File Transfer...
06-06-2011
Med's Done....
20-04-2011
hi ashunandal,
my husbands visa was approved a few weeks ago and we are moving to Nova Scotia in December. I went to Unviersity there for 6 years and loved it. The weather is a bit tough to get used to but overall its a great place! There are several Universities in Halifax so that might be a good place for you to start looking for work. Good Luck!

ashunandal

Champion Member
Jun 23, 2011
New Delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 26, 2012
File Transfer...
May 1, 2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
May 10, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Oct 21, 2012
janita said:
hi ashunandal,
my husbands visa was approved a few weeks ago and we are moving to Nova Scotia in December. I went to Unviersity there for 6 years and loved it. The weather is a bit tough to get used to but overall its a great place! There are several Universities in Halifax so that might be a good place for you to start looking for work. Good Luck!
thanks janita :) congratulations for your PR approval :) we are planning to move next month, do you live in Halifax or any other part of NS??

Zeenish

Star Member
Apr 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-June-2012
AOR Received.
25-July-2012
File Transfer...
30-July-2012
Med's Done....
15-March-2012
Interview........
Waived?
Passport Req..
14-08-2012...Travelling..sent it on 17th September...Started processing on 16thOct!:-)
VISA ISSUED...
8-Jan-2013..FINALLY!:-)
What about Winnipeg?

edujrn

Apr 9, 2012
Nova Scotia is a beautiful place.. Canada's largest playground.. if you love nature, then NS is the place for you.. you can definitely find jobs related to your educational background. i miss Halifax

ashunandal

Champion Member
Jun 23, 2011
New Delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 26, 2012
File Transfer...
May 1, 2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
May 10, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Oct 21, 2012
edujrn said:
Nova Scotia is a beautiful place.. Canada's largest playground.. if you love nature, then NS is the place for you.. you can definitely find jobs related to your educational background. i miss Halifax
thanks edujrn,
got my visa today and will be moving to Halifax soon. and yes i love nature more than job ;)
best of luck for your visa :)

Bluenoser

May 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-03-2012
File Transfer...
21-06-2012
Interview........
"In Process" 16-11-2012 - No Interview Required
Passport Req..
23-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
30-11-2012
LANDED..........
11-12-2012
Here is my take on NS, coming from the perspective of someone with very deep roots in the province (9th generation) but having also spent significant time in many other Canadian provinces and other countries. Others may disagree, but this is my generalized point-of-view.

The culture here is very complex and I've known a lot of newcomers who have had a hard time dealing with it and a lot of them gave up and moved to other provinces. I have personally seen immigrants break down in tears while describing Halifax as the most racist place they have ever been, and that the racism is extremely subtle.

Here's the truth of the matter, though. People born and raised in Nova Scotia are easily the most welcoming, friendly people in Canada. You will hear this observation time and again. It is genuine. We are just raised to be this way and take pride in it. When Nova Scotianers get together to talk about people from away we are more likely to talk negatively about people from Ontario, Quebec, BC, even New Brunswick, as we are people from other countries. It's not the race but the behaviour. People who want to settle here have to learn to fit in with the existing culture. One great example is the large Lebanese population in the province. They have done a wonderful job fitting in and have even added a lot of things that have been adopted as Nova Scotian culture (donairs, anyone?). I can give you a more specific example that I experienced myself this morning. I got on an elevator with a young guy of middle-eastern descent. He made a point of smiling, saying hello, and saying "have a good day" before getting off. Here is a guy who will fit in well here, or who maybe has been here for a long time already. I also know a guy from another province in Canada who has made a point of complaining about the way things are here, writing letters to the editor, trying to teach everyone the "right" way to do things rather than our "backward" way. People go out of their way to make life difficult for him.

As far as the economy goes, it's tough going. I've heard people complain that they are treated unfairly when applying for jobs because they are not from Nova Scotia. I've heard this many times. I think you are better off opening your own business, especially if you can have a national or international clientele. Knowing people is a lot more important than credentials. It's a steep hill to climb when you are new here and have bills to pay. I knew one wealthy family that moved here from Asia and burned through most of their life savings trying to make a go of it. In the end they moved to Vancouver to try to salvage their life. I hear that they love it there.

And yes, the weather is brutal. I wouldn't have it any other way.

nanediniz

Aug 2, 2012
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo-Brazil
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-01-2013
AOR Received.
never
File Transfer...
12-03-2013
Med's Done....
05-11-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
24-09-2013
LANDED..........
Flight booked to Oct 26th
I laughed reading somewhere that people from Halifax think it is a big city, but it isn't. lol
My husband is from Halifax-NS and he tells me it is big city. Thing is, I live in a 19 million people's city so I guess the idea of what a big city is is different from one person to another ;D

nanediniz

Aug 2, 2012
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo-Brazil
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-01-2013
AOR Received.
never
File Transfer...
12-03-2013
Med's Done....
05-11-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
24-09-2013
LANDED..........
Flight booked to Oct 26th
By the way I'll be moving there in a few months hopefully! :)