+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anyone know about PGWP eligibility under COVID-19?

Sophia Choi

May 7, 2018
I am an international student who has been studying a post-degree diploma in one of the DLI colleges.
I went back to my country (Korea) in November 2019 for vacation, then the COVID-19 had spread.

So now I am studying online in my country. I have already finished more than 50% of my studies in Canada.
My Study Permit will expire in March 2021. Since I am outside of Canada, I have applied for a new study permit and got an approved letter last week.
I know I can continue my studies online with the approval letter, but I want to know whether I can still apply for the PGWP with the approval letter after graduation.
I have been asking my school to provide a support letter to enter Canada, but they denied not to provide it since all classes are delivered online.
Even Korean Airlines do not allow boarding if I don't have a support letter. So I can't technically enter Canada now.

My question is:
Should I get the study permit for receiving PGWP? or Am I still eligible to get the PGWP with the approved letter?

pinkpinkpink

Dec 24, 2020
Three changes are being introduced:

• Students may now study online from abroad until April 30, 2021, with no time deducted from the length of a future post-graduation work permit, provided 50% of their program of study is eventually completed in Canada.
  • Students who have enrolled in a program that is between 8 and 12 months in length, with a start date from May to September 2020, will be able to complete their entire program online from abroad and still be eligible for a post-graduation work permit.
  • Students who have enrolled in a program with a start date from May to September 2020 and study online up to April 30, 2021, and who graduate from more than one eligible program of study, may be able to combine the length of their programs of study when they apply for a post-graduation work permit in the future, as long as 50% of their total studies are completed in Canada.
To be eligible for these measures, students must have submitted a study permit application before starting a program of study in the spring, summer, or fall 2020 semester, or the January 2021 semester. All students must eventually be approved for a study permit.

source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/notices/pgwp-eligibility-measures.html

hope above helps!

Sophia Choi

May 7, 2018
Three changes are being introduced:

• Students may now study online from abroad until April 30, 2021, with no time deducted from the length of a future post-graduation work permit, provided 50% of their program of study is eventually completed in Canada.
  • Students who have enrolled in a program that is between 8 and 12 months in length, with a start date from May to September 2020, will be able to complete their entire program online from abroad and still be eligible for a post-graduation work permit.
  • Students who have enrolled in a program with a start date from May to September 2020 and study online up to April 30, 2021, and who graduate from more than one eligible program of study, may be able to combine the length of their programs of study when they apply for a post-graduation work permit in the future, as long as 50% of their total studies are completed in Canada.
To be eligible for these measures, students must have submitted a study permit application before starting a program of study in the spring, summer, or fall 2020 semester, or the January 2021 semester. All students must eventually be approved for a study permit.

source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/notices/pgwp-eligibility-measures.html

hope above helps!
Thank you for sharing the source!
But I am a little confused about the eligibility requirements for PGWP. Would you check the below page out?

Source : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/temporary-residence/study-permit/pgwpp.html#sec6.2

The eligibility requirements has been changed for the following groups of students :
  • study permit holders who have already started their studies in Canada
  • study permit holders who had already begun their studies in Canada, but left Canada and are continuing their courses online from their home country given travel restrictions and public health guidelines
  • study permit holders who are already in Canada to start a program in the spring, summer or fall 2020 or winter 2021 semester, but whose courses will initially be online only
  • applicants who have been approved for a study permit to begin a program in the spring, summer or fall 2020 or winter 2021 semester, and who will begin their program online from their home country given travel restrictions and public health guidelines
  • applicants who submitted a study permit application to begin a program in the spring, summer or fall 2020 or winter 2021 semester, who will begin their program online from their home country due to travel restrictions and public health guidelines, and who are eventually approved for a study permit
Apparently, my case will be applied for the fourth. I have a valid student permit now, but it will expire in March 2021. But I have also applied for a new study permit and get an approval letter. I will be studying the last term with the approval letter. Then, I will complete my course online in my country, so technically I will not have the actual student permit since I can only get the student permit when I enter Canada airport.

My question is whether or not I am still eligible to get the PGWP even I don't have the student permit when I graduate from the program?