+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anyone have their parents already in the Country on Super visa?

Aspiring Canadian

Nov 10, 2016
Guys please let’s try and keep the focus on solutions. Remember this thread is for parents and grandparents that are currently stuck in Canada and cannot travel as it may pose a health risk thus creating an unprecedented emergency humanitarian situation.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Pandemic came after some people’s parents were here to visit on supervisa. Originally supervisa is designed so parents can visit for long periods of time with their kids. Pandemic created emergency situation and parents are now stranded for a lot of people. How could they have planned a pandemic. The insurance in place is only for emerdencies not for pandemic preparedness. This thread is based on helping people in a unique unforeseen emergency situation.
Canada has been giving people visitor extensions and most provinces are covering treatment for anyone with covid so I fail to see what the argument would be for any parent in Canada to get PR. Canada will also likely vaccinate visitors for free.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Guys please let’s try and keep the focus on solutions. Remember this thread is for parents and grandparents that are currently stuck in Canada and cannot travel as it may pose a health risk thus creating an unprecedented emergency humanitarian situation.
That is why Canada has been giving extensions that isn't a reason to give PR especially when our health system is going to have even larger wait times due to covid.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Canada doesn't have an easy stream for parents and grand parents to come. Unfortunately that's by design. They believe they already have an ageing population. They don't want to add more 'old people'.
Canada does have an ageing population. This is based on data not on what we believe and why immigration policies favour young applicants.

Aspiring Canadian

Nov 10, 2016
That is why Canada has been giving extensions that isn't a reason to give PR especially when our health system is going to have even larger wait times due to covid.
I'm glad they are supporting that way but there have been documented cases of extensions being refused due to reasons such as "ties not strong enough back home" after COVID started. This is because the policy is not clear. I'm interested to know how many parents are currently in Canada on a supervisa, this way atleast we can know the numbers. Plus I'm sure not all of them are elderly and wouldn't even want to apply for PR or would want to return home. The actual number of people here on a supervisa that want to transition to PR due to exceptional circumstances may be in scope for the govt to craft a temporary policy based on exceptional pandemic/humanitarian grounds. This will help ease the burden on citizens/PR's that are worried about their parents, help ease the burden on the PGP, as well as help with the govts immigration targets. win win win situation.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I'm glad they are supporting that way but there have been documented cases of extensions being refused due to reasons such as "ties not strong enough back home" after COVID started. This is because the policy is not clear. I'm interested to know how many parents are currently in Canada on a supervisa, this way atleast we can know the numbers. Plus I'm sure not all of them are elderly and wouldn't even want to apply for PR or would want to return home. The actual number of people here on a supervisa that want to transition to PR due to exceptional circumstances may be in scope for the govt to craft a temporary policy based on exceptional pandemic/humanitarian grounds. This will help ease the burden on citizens/PR's that are worried about their parents, help ease the burden on the PGP, as well as help with the govts immigration targets. win win win situation.
The majority of parents in Canada on a supervisa would be interested in getting PR. There is absolutely no way for Canada to absorb seniors from PGP ang, H&C and another program. Many Canadians don't even realize PGP exists and the few million without family doctors or waiting months to years for doctors appointment and surgeries would likely be outraged to know that we are adding more seniors (most who will never work or pay taxes) to a health system that can't care for the existing population. For example the city of Brampton does not come close to having enough hospital spaces for their current population but a program like PGP adds many seniors to an existing problem. Although a new hospital has been promised there isn't money allocated and it may take 10+ years to actually get opened.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/brampton-hospital-2021-budget-1.5964553

Aspiring Canadian

Nov 10, 2016
"The majority of parents in Canada on a supervisa would be interested in getting PR." I would love to know the actual academic rational behind this assumption lol. Remember we have to make decisions based on actual facts and not feelings. How can we quantify the number of people that actually want to stay without being biased.

Remember we're looking at a snapshot in time from when the pandemic started around March 2019 until todays date. Most parents naturally will be able to return home as their health allows them to. The small majority that aren't able to travel due to age/health and aren't able to get an extension due to policy are the ones that would be in scope for this temporary policy. Keep in mind this wouldn't apply for people that are planning on coming here in the future as they have the choice of not travelling. This temporary policy would ease the burden of parents actually stuck here without any choice of their own due to the pandemic. The extension policy isn't a guarantee. What happens if the extension is refused and they are forced to travel. That isn't humane at all.

Guys please lets gather ideas on how we can make our voice heard so the govt knows of this unique situation. Please and thank you

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
"The majority of parents in Canada on a supervisa would be interested in getting PR." I would love to know the actual academic rational behind this assumption lol. Remember we have to make decisions based on actual facts and not feelings. How can we quantify the number of people that actually want to stay without being biased.

Remember we're looking at a snapshot in time from when the pandemic started around March 2019 until todays date. Most parents naturally will be able to return home as their health allows them to. The small majority that aren't able to travel due to age/health and aren't able to get an extension due to policy are the ones that would be in scope for this temporary policy. Keep in mind this wouldn't apply for people that are planning on coming here in the future as they have the choice of not travelling. This temporary policy would ease the burden of parents actually stuck here without any choice of their own due to the pandemic. The extension policy isn't a guarantee. What happens if the extension is refused and they are forced to travel. That isn't humane at all.

Guys please lets gather ideas on how we can make our voice heard so the govt knows of this unique situation. Please and thank you
Bring up your story to TV shows such as CTV's W5 might work.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

There are usually over 100k+ applying for PGP every year so we know there is a huge demand. Many parents would apply for PR if they had the option even if they didn't know if they wanted to stay in Canada. Nobody will pass up the offer of PR. How will you define who is old enough or sick enough to qualify? There would be no way you could only say that a portion of parents/grandparents on supervisas could remain in Canada. There would be an automatic lawsuit. Vaccines are being rolled out. Once vaccinated there is no reason why a parent could not travel home.

Reactions: YVR123

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There are usually over 100k+ applying for PGP every year so we know there is a huge demand. Many parents would apply for PR if they had the option even if they didn't know if they wanted to stay in Canada. Nobody will pass up the offer of PR. How will you define who is old enough or sick enough to qualify? There would be no way you could only say that a portion of parents/grandparents on supervisas could remain in Canada. There would be an automatic lawsuit. Vaccines are being rolled out. Once vaccinated there is no reason why a parent could not travel home.
There are certainly reasons why parent could not travel home such as war, unrest, vaccine not being rolled out at home.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There are certainly reasons why parent could not travel home such as war, unrest, vaccine not being rolled out at home.
Canada is likely going to vaccinate anyone in Canada. Some municipalities have already started vaccinating people without health cards. If people aren't able to return home due to war then there is already a process in place (asylum).

Last edited:
Reactions: YVR123

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
This has potential for further investigation.
Investigate what? there isn't anything to investigate when there are programs that exist for parents to visit or be sponsored and it seems like anyone in Canada will be given a vaccine for free. Just going ahead with PGP this year given the longterm strain on our health system is hard enough to justify. I know I need my gallbladder out and I assume I may get it done in 2022 or 2023 which is crazy. it took me 10 months and 3 cancellations to have an endoscopy.

Aspiring Canadian

Nov 10, 2016
I’m sorry to say but that is a very very biased,colonial, and first world assumption. Why would “most people not pass up the opportunity to apply for PR” this assumes that most people’s countries back home are lesser than Canada and Canada is some kind of golden ticket for people from other countries. Contrary to popular belief most people are well settled back home and use the supervisa program to visit their kids