+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anyone from Montreal got online test invite and/or oath ceremony

bas12

Apr 20, 2018
Any idea if this is a good idea even if your file is within normal processing times?
Law firms usually take citizenship cases at around 18-20 months of processing.
They argue that IRCC not meeting standard processing time of 12 months is causing excessive amount of problems for the applicants, but the delay should be at least a few month over that for them to believe that mandamus should succeed.

If you happen to be eligible for urgent processing, maybe try that route.
Otherwise, you can try calling IRCC, or contact your MP around the time you're past their average processing time, which is 18 months right now.
I just received my ATIP notes I ordered after the oath, and it looks like my attempts to contact them before starting the process of suing them in federal court actually resulted in some minor activity, they were checking my tax returns.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vinami

bas12

Apr 20, 2018
Can you elaborate on how you filed mandamus?
A went with one of the law firms that have a lot of experience with mandamus for immigration. There are some recommendations on the first pages of this thread https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/applicants-waiting-for-more-than-2-years-interested-in-mandamus-with-a-firm-as-a-group-meet-here.743417/, as well as elsewhere on this forum.
It cost me a few thousand, but for me it was totally worth it. I cannot imagine still be hanging in the air for several more months, if not years.

Some people on this forum managed to file the first stage on their own, and were lucky enough that IRCC finalized their application within a month, so they didn't need to continue the process, but that seemed like a risky undertaking to me.

Last edited:

Vinami

Jul 28, 2020
A went with one of the law firms that have a lot of experience with mandamus for immigration. There are some recommendations on the first pages of this thread https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/applicants-waiting-for-more-than-2-years-interested-in-mandamus-with-a-firm-as-a-group-meet-here.743417/, as well as elsewhere on this forum.
It cost me a few thousand, but for me it was totally worth it. I cannot imagine still be hanging in the air for several more months, if not years.

Some people on this forum managed to file the first stage on their own, and were lucky enough that IRCC finalized their application within a month, so they didn't need to continue the process, but that seemed like a risky undertaking to me.
Thanks for the info. I could imagine how hard it was going through this endless delay. At least it worked out for you in the end. Congratulations!

Reactions: bas12