+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anyone for Sept 2018 (Fall) intake for MTIS in UVIC(university of victoria)

Feb 27, 2018
Great, yes, it's extremely expensive. totally 3 terms, and $9000+ for each term. But how long does it take for you to get the addmission after applying?
I got the admit a couple of days ago. Applied on Nov 1st week. Any idea how much fees we need to pay to book our seat? As of now they have only asked me to just reply back to them stating that I accepted their offer

Feb 27, 2018
But I think the advantage is that students can apply for permanent residence directly without a job offer after graduation from MTIS, right ?
Yes you may but chances are low. And here is why. If you simply do MTIS and search for a job u would get 1yr work permit as ur study term is 1yr. In that 1 yr it is really difficult to get PR. However, if you choose to do a 1yr of extra co op after the course then UVIC will award u with a 2yr study term thus you will fetch a 3yrs of Post grad work permit. I got this info from UVIC after I emailed them.

P.S Study permits can be extended from Canada itself and no need to return to the native country.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2017
Yes you may but chances are low. And here is why. If you simply do MTIS and search for a job u would get 1yr work permit as ur study term is 1yr. In that 1 yr it is really difficult to get PR. However, if you choose to do a 1yr of extra co op after the course then UVIC will award u with a 2yr study term thus you will fetch a 3yrs of Post grad work permit. I got this info from UVIC after I emailed them.

P.S Study permits can be extended from Canada itself and no need to return to the native country.
Hi Souvikmaitra,

I don't know exactly the amounts of money a MTIS student should prepare, but I suppose it needs to be a little more than the tuition fee as its a self-funded program, but still not sure.

As for the PR, I have explored the following website in detail, and I think the BC province has a special strategy for PR application for post graduate in some programs including MTIS program. That is if you graduate from MTIS, in the following 3 years after graduation, you can apply for PR directly even without a job offer, even your work permit expires or even you return to your native country. This is my understanding, but I am not very sure, do you have any idea about this ? Or am I have a wrong understanding about this PR strategy ?

website link : https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-to-B-C/BC-PNP-Skills-Immigration/International-Post-Graduate

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2018
Hi Souvikmaitra,

I don't know exactly the amounts of money a MTIS student should prepare, but I suppose it needs to be a little more than the tuition fee as its a self-funded program, but still not sure.

As for the PR, I have explored the following website in detail, and I think the BC province has a special strategy for PR application for post graduate in some programs including MTIS program. That is if you graduate from MTIS, in the following 3 years after graduation, you can apply for PR directly even without a job offer, even your work permit expires or even you return to your native country. This is my understanding, but I am not very sure, do you have any idea about this ? Or am I have a wrong understanding about this PR strategy ?

website link : https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-to-B-C/BC-PNP-Skills-Immigration/International-Post-Graduate
The total cost in INR for the MTIS program is estimated to be around 18 lakhs. You can check regarding their tuition fees on UVic website and other expenses and calculate yourself and cross check my estimation.

And for PR it is correct what you said, I went through the website contents but I am not able to find the program MTIS (although all engineering programs are eligible) and no where I saw that we can apply for PR still if you returned to your country. Can you please share the link or may be indicate the section under which it is present? Thanks!

Sep 23, 2017
The total cost in INR for the MTIS program is estimated to be around 18 lakhs. You can check regarding their tuition fees on UVic website and other expenses and calculate yourself and cross check my estimation.

And for PR it is correct what you said, I went through the website contents but I am not able to find the program MTIS (although all engineering programs are eligible) and no where I saw that we can apply for PR still if you returned to your country. Can you please share the link or may be indicate the section under which it is present? Thanks!
Hi Souvikmaitra,

OK, and I think It may take several thousand canadian dollars to secure that seat, maybe you could email UVic again for the answer......

As for the MTIS program, on the website, please click and download this PDF -- BC PNP IPG & EEBC IPG Eligible Programs of Study Document (PDF, 1MB) --and in page17, you can find this program Master of Engineering: Telecommunications and Information Security, I think that's the full name of MTIS in UVic.

As for the PR, I am not quite sure if it's still applicable if students return to the native country, but I suppose students can apply for BCPNP right away after graduation, then within the next 12 months with work permit, it may be enough to get the nomination. That's what I thought.....

However, before applying for BCPNP, one has to pass the IELTS(general, not academic) with 6 in each band, and get 67 scores in the federal Express Entry. That's what I found till now. But still not very sure about what I learned. ..

Do you have any more idea?

Feb 27, 2018
Hi Souvikmaitra,

OK, and I think It may take several thousand canadian dollars to secure that seat, maybe you could email UVic again for the answer......

As for the MTIS program, on the website, please click and download this PDF -- BC PNP IPG & EEBC IPG Eligible Programs of Study Document (PDF, 1MB) --and in page17, you can find this program Master of Engineering: Telecommunications and Information Security, I think that's the full name of MTIS in UVic.

As for the PR, I am not quite sure if it's still applicable if students return to the native country, but I suppose students can apply for BCPNP right away after graduation, then within the next 12 months with work permit, it may be enough to get the nomination. That's what I thought.....

However, before applying for BCPNP, one has to pass the IELTS(general, not academic) with 6 in each band, and get 67 scores in the federal Express Entry. That's what I found till now. But still not very sure about what I learned. ..

Do you have any more idea?
Thanks for the info, everything seems fine except I am kinda confused with the English test as Skill Immigration - International Post Grad does not require any English proficiency but for Express Entry - International Post grad you need it.
https://www.welcomebc.ca/getmedia/14a55c84-1301-4959-8a5d-888785a2ac2a/BC-PNP-Skills-Immigration-and-Express-Entry-BC-Program-Guide.pdf.aspx
My question is then why would anyone apply to Express entry rather than Skill Immigration?. Let me know if you know anything

Sep 23, 2017
Thanks for the info, everything seems fine except I am kinda confused with the English test as Skill Immigration - International Post Grad does not require any English proficiency but for Express Entry - International Post grad you need it.
https://www.welcomebc.ca/getmedia/14a55c84-1301-4959-8a5d-888785a2ac2a/BC-PNP-Skills-Immigration-and-Express-Entry-BC-Program-Guide.pdf.aspx
My question is then why would anyone apply to Express entry rather than Skill Immigration?. Let me know if you know anything
Sorry I have no idea about this question either.

Anyway I am still struggling with my statement of intent, but could you please kindly share your background such as IELTS, education, GPA, work experience etc ?