+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

anyone applied as a personal trainer? Need advice

sc09

Feb 26, 2014
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has applied for CEC as a personal trainer whilst being on an IEC visa. I want to know if you had to of had a medical exam whilst working as a personal trainer? I've been told by an immigration consultant that this job doesn't require it (only those listed as more medical or with vulnerable people,nursing homes, schools,etc). Just wanted this clarified as it means I could accumulate my working hours sooner than thought and get my app in.

Thanks! :)

LPS

Champion Member
Aug 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2013
AOR Received.
07-10-2013
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
09-04-2014
Personal trainer isn't one of the occupations that would require you to undergo a medical exam for your work permit. So as long as you don't need one for some other reason (see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=183&t=17) you are safe.

Of course, a few months after you apply for CEC (or permanent residency in general), all going well, you will be asked to do a medical exam.

sc09

Feb 26, 2014
Thanks! I've not seen it listed anywhere, but didn't know if it was a grey area and might be flagged up as technically 'health and fitness' type of profession, although it's not similar to any of the jobs they list on their website as I mentioned above.

Wow, this has potentially just taken a weight off my shoulders :D

Sarahc888

Dec 28, 2014
Hey hows it goin??
I am also a personal trainer/aerobics instructor from Australia and wanting to move back to Toronto as I did a working holiday there in 2010 and loved it.
If I was to move back on a IEC visa and work as a group ex instructor for a few years or equivalent to full time, would I be able to apply for immigration? Will my work as an instructor in 2010 count towards my experience?
Also, confirming that personal training is under category B which is a skilled profession?
I feel like this is my best option in applying for immigration one day!
How did you go with the process?? is it expensive?
I know the new express entry system is coming in 2015 however, it says that the criteria doesnt change, it just just a new system so hopefully in afew years I can apply and if not, I am 26 so hopefully I can renew my IEC visa till 31.
Hope to hear from you soon
Thanks
Sarah