Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
Sorry cl169, it seems they just take this long these days. I don't know what you can do.

I called after 8 weeks of not getting it, another week later I got a call from CIC telling me I have to come in to have my photo retaken because there was a problem with the photo. Which ... is no fun. Thankfully, I'm not too far from where I have to go (downtown Vancouver), but I'm really annoyed at the fact that I had to wait 9 weeks to find out the photo isn't ok. I guess they didn't check it until they actually decided to make the card after I called the first time.
They did ask something about if I needed it urgently, which I don't really. It'd be nice, but it's not urgent. Though that makes me think they CAN get it done pretty fast. I have no clue who you could contact about it though :/

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
OPTIMISTIC2009 said:
Hello ,

Is it possible for landed immigrants to get a Social insurance number even if they haven't received the PR card yet ???

Depends on how you applied. Yes, if you applied outland, but apparently if you apply inland, they will only give you a temporary SIN until you get your PR card.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
On the contrary, applying outland gives you no employment privileges whatsoever, so you will not get a SIN number, temporary or permanent, until you have your PR (unless you qualify otherwise, for example if you are in Canada on a work permit).

mitamata said:
OPTIMISTIC2009 said:
Hello ,

Is it possible for landed immigrants to get a Social insurance number even if they haven't received the PR card yet ???

Depends on how you applied. Yes, if you applied outland, but apparently if you apply inland, they will only give you a temporary SIN until you get your PR card.

shamrock

Star Member
Feb 13, 2009
On the contrary, applying outland gives you no employment privileges whatsoever, so you will not get a SIN number, temporary or permanent, until you have your PR (unless you qualify otherwise, for example if you are in Canada on a work permit).
They asked about if they hadn't received the PR "CARD" yet though, and you can get a SIN if you applied outland and have landed but haven't gotten your card yet, I got mine the day after I landed.

You can find the info you need here:
http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sc/sin/index.shtml

shamrock

Star Member
Feb 13, 2009
Just an update...my PR card finally came today, 7 weeks 2 days after I landed.

I must say too...the card is really cool. lol

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

shamrock said:
Just an update...my PR card finally came today, 7 weeks 2 days after I landed.

I must say too...the card is really cool. lol
The exact length of time as quoted by CIC last week, now down to 44 days. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/process-in.asp#pr_card

PMM

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Karlshammar said:

mitamata said:
OPTIMISTIC2009 said:
Hello ,

Karlhammer, that's wrong. If you applied outland and have landed, you can take your passport with the voided PR visa to Service Canada and they will issue you the SIN number. A person HAS PR as soon as they land.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, rjessome. I said "until you have your PR" (i.e., as soon as you land), not "until you have your PR card."

Just to clarify, I misread the original question. I thought the question was if outland applicants could get a SIN and work before they were approved. Sorry, my mistake.

kpit_2009

Oct 27, 2009
Landed Oct 12 2009 - Toronto,
waiting for PR Card

Any one else receive PR Card recently?

Online CIC says 36 days.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/English/information/times/canada/process-in.asp#pr_card

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
I ended up getting mine 12 weeks after landing xD

36 days is in business days, so... that's about 7 weeks. Patience ;)

kittty

Oct 11, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I just read this on the cic website and thought it might ease the minds of anyone wondering where there card is

Please note: Due to an extraordinary circumstance related to our electronic scanning system, PR card processing times have increased significantly. We are working quickly to fix this problem and apologize for any inconvenience it causes. Once the technical issues have been resolved, we will make every effort to clear the backlog of files and reduce processing times.

They also have a link posted if you need your card urgently, however I am computer illiterate and dont know how to post it, however the page I found this on is:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/process-in.asp :)

MARLENA

Mar 24, 2009
If someone already landed and waiting for PR card they can still apply for SIN# but have to provide passport. Is there any other document they have to provide???

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
This won't help Newbie, but the experienes of others suggests strongly that upon landing in Canada, don't schedule any out-of-Canada trips for many months, until you have your residence card in hand.

Look on the bright aide: this process would take much longer in most Latin American countries.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your passport with the visa and the Confirmation of Permanent Residence.

MARLENA said:
If someone already landed and waiting for PR card they can still apply for SIN# but have to provide passport. Is there any other document they have to provide???