May 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
N/A
NOC Code......
-
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It still shows in progress. my understand is if people submit their RQ within few days, they tend to get a response very fast. The person im referring to was prepared with all documents of the RQ before he went for the test, actually his consultant made sure that he is prepared coz he knew he would get RQ due to so much travel.

He submitted the RQ next day. I submitted almost end of jan, it was terrible experience, to be honest if i get RQ again within this year, i will just withdraw my application. its way too much work.

Alias said:
Hi,

Question for stone8198.
You got the RQ after your Jan test. Was there a change in status in ecas after your test or is it still showing in process. Just want to understand if they change the status to decision made for RQ cases.

Thanks,

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
stone8198 said:
It still shows in progress. my understand is if people submit their RQ within few days, they tend to get a response very fast. The person im referring to was prepared with all documents of the RQ before he went for the test, actually his consultant made sure that he is prepared coz he knew he would get RQ due to so much travel.

He submitted the RQ next day. I submitted almost end of jan, it was terrible experience, to be honest if i get RQ again within this year, i will just withdraw my application. its way too much work.
While the sooner the response is submitted, the better impression that makes, that is probably only an incremental factor.

Reasons for concerns or questions loom as the far larger factor, in conjunction with how well the applicant's submission responds to those concerns or questions, and how well the applicant's submission overall supports his or her case.

The merits matter.

And beyond that there are all sorts of other factors which can have an impact on the timeline, including which local office it is and how much of a backlog there is in that office.

Forecasting timelines even for routine applicants, let alone those issued RQ, is gambling blind.

fishbone

Star Member
Mar 15, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dpenabill said:
Forecasting timelines even for routine applicants, let alone those issued RQ, is gambling blind.
Bitter pill to swallow, but so true!

stone8198

May 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
N/A
NOC Code......
-
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey Guys,

Quick update on my file.. got ATIP report.

I have been referred to Hearings. I guess with the Judy. Due time for my application was july 2016, now it has been extended to Feb2017.
I had submitted my RQ quickly, and the office prepared my file for the Judge as he could not make a decision.

Anybody with Judge Hearing experience?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
stone8198:

Overall note: It appears I misinterpreted the extent of your shortfall. I still am not entirely sure how many days physical presence you declared. I originally thought you reported physical presence for 910 days. In recent years this would be considered a very large shortfall and the odds would not be good, but as I previously posted, in this situation there would be no harm riding the process out to see how it goes.

dpenabill said:
There is no harm in following the process through, so there is no compelling reason to withdraw the application unless you are ready to apply again under current law. Many applicants have reported the CJ strongly suggests, at the time of the hearing, withdrawing the application. Whether or not to do so at that stage is a personal choice.
But your clarifications in subsequent posts appear to indicate you were 910 days short of the 1095 day physical presence threshold. That is, your physical presence was between 450 and 185 days (depending on your total basic residence, which has to be at least 1095 days and could be as many as 1460). Even at the high end, 450 days actual presence, that is just about off the charts, just plain outside the scope of any reasonable prospect of success except in extremely unusual circumstances (none of which are so much as hinted in the circumstances you report; and actually the opposite, meaning your circumstances, like lack of family ties in Canada, appear to push the scales in a negative not positive direction).

This is not to say I am advising you to withdraw. That is your choice. There is no harm in following the process through, so long as, of course, you are truthful in all the information you submit to IRCC and a Citizenship Judge.

But the odds are so much against success it probably is not worth expending much effort or money to pursue this application. For example, I typically would strongly suggest obtaining the assistance of a lawyer, but frankly unless you are in a financial position such that you could essentially throw away several thousand dollars, probably not worth it.

In any event:

stone8198 said:
Hey Guys,

Quick update on my file.. got ATIP report.

I have been referred to Hearings. I guess with the Judy. Due time for my application was july 2016, now it has been extended to Feb2017.
I had submitted my RQ quickly, and the office prepared my file for the Judge as he could not make a decision.

Anybody with Judge Hearing experience?
There are several topics in this forum in which the hearing process itself is discussed.

Including my observations, such as in a post partially quoted here:

dpenabill said:
Hearing Preparation In Particular:

Prepare to make an affirmative case but then be considerate, polite, in making that affirmative case:

NOTE: Yes, lawyer Recommended. The assistance of a lawyer is a good idea. But even an experienced lawyer may have some difficulty making an affirmative case at a CJ hearing (which is an indicator of how difficult it is for a non-lawyer). Moreover, a lawyer cannot change the facts. And at this stage most of the facts are in the record.

Most reports of CJ hearings indicate they are usually conducted relatively informally, more or less in the style of an interview, the CJ usually asking questions . . . the CJ in control.
There is much more in that topic, and again there are multiple topics here which go into varying degrees of detail about the process at this stage.

Researching actual cases:

If you want to see actual cases, official accounts of actual cases, they are fairly easy to research at the CanLII website, found here: http://www.canlii.org/en/ca/fct/
Put "citizenship act" in quotes and hit the search button. After reading a few you can probably identify some additional terms to narrow the search results. You can select an option to list cases by date, beginning with the most recent.

Mostly look at cases dated between 2012 through 2014. It is important to look at the more recent cases (after 2011), as there was clearly more flexibility or leeway prior to 2010/2011; the older cases do not reflect the approach more recently taken by CIC/IRCC, CJs, or the Federal Court. On the other hand, the most recent cases, those beginning in 2015 to present, barely represent the kind of cases which would be of interest to you because these are overwhelmingly appeals filed by CIC, not applicants, since the right to appeal was taken away as of August 1, 2014 (part of the Bill C-24 changes). That said, the most recent cases, those appealed by CIC, do illuminate important aspects of how residency issues are approached, but for your purposes those in the 2012 through 2014 range probably best illustrate the dynamics of residency cases.

I cite and link a sample of cases below.

Some General Observations About Your Case:

Timeline to CJ Hearing

I am not sure you can definitively discern from the response to an ATIP request there will be a referral to a Citizenship Judge, but given the facts in your case such a referral is indeed likely. If this happens soon this would appear to be a record-breaking timeline for CJ hearing referrals, by a big margin (years sooner than any other reported, including in the hundreds of official cases reflected in the Federal Court).

It is possible of course, and indeed it could be that a Citizenship Officer readily identified your case as one which should be promptly denied, and since all Residency cases must go to a CJ before they can be denied, they fast-tracked it.

I am speculating a bit in that assessment, but given your circumstances it is easy to envision a Citizenship Officer concluding the case against approval is obvious, clear-cut so to say, no chance a CJ might be persuaded otherwise, an easy call, thus a relatively easy referral, do it, get it done.

As I already noted, in a previous post by me it appears I misunderstood just how much short of the 1095 days of physical presence threshold you were when you applied. I interpreted your account to mean you had been present in Canada 910 days, rather than were short by 910 days. My bad.

dpenabill said:
Even back when CIC was not so strict about physical presence (before Jason Kenney was Minister and there was an avalanche of RQs 2010 to 2013), internal CIC memos revealed that the absolute cutoff for CJ referrals was 900 days. (It is apparent that the practical cutoff has been much higher for a long time, and 910 days would have likely gone to a CJ hearing even when CIC was more flexible and lenient.)
But based on later posts by you, I now apprehend that you are 910 days short of the physical presence threshold. Even without discrepancies (mistakes) in disclosing your travel history, this much of a shortfall seems well beyond the range of any chance for a positive outcome. The errors/mistakes almost certainly eliminate whatever slim chance there may have been.

You report that you know someone who took the oath even though he applied with "barely 700 physical presence days," and suggest that the difference between his situation and yours is minimal. But there are obvious differences of major import, like the mistakes. Those loom very large. Very large.

The earlier time span for that individual also looms large.

But there are also numerous other details which are probably different and which can also make a real difference in how things go. You indicate, for example, that individual was in Canada working on a work permit way longer than you. That detail probably entails a number of major differences, the biggest one being the extent to which he had firmly established his primary residence in Canada before (or at the beginning of) the time that counted toward citizenship.

All that said, while indeed some applicants with substantial shortfalls have been approved and taken the oath, those are the EXCEPTION, NOT the rule, not the way it goes very often at all. And the more recent the case, the more unusual it is for a big shortfall case to be successful.

Some particulars:

stone8198 said:
People get RQ with 1400 physical and basic residence too, and the same RQ that i received.
stone8198 said:
Secondly, if you are referring to Residency obligation, i met residency obligation, but not the physical requirement. Under old rules, residency requirement needs to be met, not physical presence. Without residency obligation the file would have been returned to me without processing any further.
All Residency Case applicants have been given the same RQ form (CIT 0171) for many years (recognizing that there have been periodic changes to the form, so the details in the form depended on the date RQ was issued; biggest changes came in 2012), including those which eventually were pursued as possible residency fraud cases.

You mean you met the basic residency requirement, not the "residency obligation." The old law effectively provided that PRs could be eligible for citizenship even if they were NOT qualified.

Indeed, under the old law a PR became eligible for citizenship, at minimum, three years and a day after landing and becoming a PR, even if he or she spent virtually no time in Canada (and PRs who had been living in Canada prior to landing could become eligible as soon as two years and a day after landing).

To meet the residency requirement, however, the PR must have been resident in Canada for at least three of the four years preceding the date of application. Regardless how long the PR has been a PR, to be qualified for a grant of citizenship, the PR must meet this residency requirement as of the day before the application is made.

What resident-in-Canada means was never fully resolved. Three different tests were developed and applied. The primary test is the physical presence test. Under this test, resident-in-Canada is interpreted to mean, in effect, physically present in Canada. Thus, under this test the PR must have been physically present in Canada for at least 1095 days within the four relevant years (calculated on the basis that a day after landing counts as a day, while a day in Canada prior to landing only counts as half a day).

This test can be applied to any applicant without explanation or justification. If this test is applied, one day short means the applicant must be denied. Indeed, there was a recent case in which the CJ approved the applicant but had decided the case based on the physical presence test; since it was clear in the record, however, the individual was a few days short of 1095 days physical presence, a Federal Court set aside the CJ's decision. The CJ could not approve an applicant short by even a few days if the CJ used the physical presence test.

(See the VENERA DEMUROVA decision http://canlii.ca/t/glp84 in which CJ approved applicant who was just two days short, but Justice Shore granted CIC's appeal because the CJ approved the applicant based on the Pourghasemi physical presence test, and as a matter of law two days short fails that test. In contrast, however, an applicant who was just two days short and was denied approval by the CJ, based on the physical presence test, won an appeal based on a denial of fair procedure arguing that the RQ requests suggested a qualitative test would be used; see JEAN JACQUES MUKULA MIJI decision at http://canlii.ca/t/gjdd7 .)

It appears that since sometime around 2008 to 2011, CIC began pushing for the physical presence test in nearly all cases.

Thus in the last five years or so, right up to the adoption and implementation of the new law imposing a strict physical presence requirement with no exceptions, it has been increasingly apparent that any shortfall case was at risk for being rejected, and that those with a large shortfall (more than 100 days short) have particularly poor odds. There have been exceptions, and apparently you know one in person. Again, these have been the exception.

The physical presence approach is often referred to as the "Pourghasemi" test. It is undoubtedly the primary approach taken to assessing residency under the old law. That is, it it the test most commonly applied. And again, falling short by one day fails this test.

The CJ is the one who gets to decide which test to apply.

Alternative, qualitative residency tests:

The other two tests for assessing whether the residency requirement has been met are qualitative tests. The most common one is known as the Koo test, applying what is typically referred to as the Koo criteria. (There are at least 400 Federal Court decisions referring to Koo.) In applying this test there is a specific set of criteria assessed against the facts in the applicant's case. (Names of the various tests derive from the Federal Court decisions first articulating the respective test; for the Koo decision see http://canlii.ca/t/4gqw and the specific criteria are listed in the decision, as well as in many dozens of other subsequent decisions.)

The other qualitative test sometimes applied is typically referred to as the Papadogiorgakis test. This is a more generalized test, typically referred to as the test based on the PR having centralized his or her mode of living in Canada. Under this test it is recognized that an individual maintains his or her residence in Canada while temporarily absent from Canada.

While the Koo test applies specific criteria, ultimately both qualitative tests tend to focus on the extent to which the individual's life was centralized in Canada and the extent to which time absent from Canada should be considered to nonetheless be time resident-in-Canada.

Since you have a shortfall, any chance of success you have is dependent on persuading the Citizenship Judge (1) to apply one of these qualitative tests, and (2) based on that, to conclude you were resident-in-Canada for at least 1095 days (any credit for pre-landing days still being one-for-two) within the four years prior to the day you applied.

From the perspective of CIC there was a presumption, of sorts, that a PR spending less than half the time in Canada is not resident-in-Canada.

That means, anyone with less than 730 days actual presence would be presumed to not be resident in Canada.

Some sample cases:

Most postive cases (note, again, these really are rare exceptions, extremely unusual cases):

http://canlii.ca/t/gn3st (TSAI CHUAN LIAO) 427 day shortfall, but CJ applied Koo and approved citizenship; CIC appealed but Federal Court dismissed CIC's appeal.

http://canlii.ca/t/gjfvp (PATMORE) merely 277 days physical presence, but CJ applied the Papadogiorgakis centralized mode of living in Canada test and approved applicant for citizenship; CIC appealed and lost the appeal

Some additional sample cases:

http://canlii.ca/t/gn38v (RYEOME LEE) 21 days short -- CJ denied; lost appeal

http://canlii.ca/t/g8fv9 (FIONA JANE EDWARDS) 892 days present -- CJ applied physical presence test and denied approval -- Federal Court upheld CJ's decision

http://canlii.ca/t/gp2g6 (Villaumé) just 218 days presence in Canada; CJ approved; CIC appealed; Federal Court set aside the CJ's decision

http://canlii.ca/t/gjnkn (AKINTOMIWA OLADAPO OJO) case stating that date of establishing physical residency in Canada must be determined before Koo criteria can be applied to time in Canada after that date (thus counting such time as resident-in-Canada notwithstanding absences)

http://canlii.ca/t/gdt30 (SHUO QIN) is another case in which the CJ's approach, not applying Koo, was determined to breach procedural fairness

http://canlii.ca/t/gfvgt (Arwas & Wachter) 866 days presence for one; 879 for the other; CJ denied both; Federal Court upheld denial for both

The above just scratch the surface of actual cases and the decisions made by various CJs as reviewed by various Federal Court justices.

Hope-Judge

Feb 22, 2016
Dear Dpenabill hi,
After passed citizenship test, i got cit520 and sent required documents, two weeks later they sent me RQ which they asked 90% same documents. I sent detailed documents and then 3 days after my status changed DM. Since March 25, 2016 still same. While in that no refusal letter or invitation letter also. I asked couple lawyer and consultants they said case 99% in good standing and waiting to Oath Ceremony program in my residence city. I was applied with 1,460 days ( On March 12, 2015).

What is your opinion if u have a time would you answer?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hope-Judge said:
Dear Dpenabill hi,
After passed citizenship test, i got cit520 and sent required documents, two weeks later they sent me RQ which they asked 90% same documents. I sent detailed documents and then 3 days after my status changed DM. Since March 25, 2016 still same. While in that no refusal letter or invitation letter also. I asked couple lawyer and consultants they said case 99% in good standing and waiting to Oath Ceremony program in my residence city. I was applied with 1,460 days ( On March 12, 2015).

What is your opinion if u have a time would you answer?
I am no expert.

The totality of facts and circumstances matter.

Most but not all reports of a decision made in this context appear to be successful cases soon, or at least relatively soon, to be scheduled for the oath. But any prediction really is largely a guess.

In any event, the odds probably are favourable, but beyond that there is nothing to do now but wait to see what happens next. There is nothing you can do at this stage to change what happens next. So watch eCas and the mailbox while you wait. You could get a notice tomorrow or not for a few months.

That's the best I can offer.

(By the way: if the opinions of lawyers and consultants were obtained without cost, those views are worth what you paid for them. And, while I am sure there are some good consultants, in general my impression is that there are so many who lack competence or integrity I tend to doubt consultants unless there is strong reason supporting their view. The opinion I would tend to trust would be one that is paid for, by a lawyer who has taken the actual file and reviewed it in some depth before offering an opinion.)

Hope-Judge

Feb 22, 2016
:p :p Guys!!, finally i got OATH letter.....
Here is my application time line;

March 12, 2015 / Application recieved
March 26, 2015 / Ack. Lettter
October 22, 2015 / Citizenship test ( not attended)
January 20, 2016 / Second citizenship test (20-20)
February 15, 2016 / CIT 520 requested
March 25, 2016 / RQ requested
March 27, 2016 / Ecas changed to Decision Made
April 25, 2016 / Oath Invite letter ( Letter dated on by CIC April 14, 2016)

Thank you for everyone to helps or answers...( Dpenabill)

Conclusion: Don't afraid getting Cit520 and RQ..

S.Z

Star Member
Dec 1, 2010
Hope-Judge said:
:p :p Guys!!, finally i got OATH letter.....
Here is my application time line;

March 12, 2015 / Application recieved
March 26, 2015 / Ack. Lettter
October 22, 2015 / Citizenship test ( not attended)
January 20, 2016 / Second citizenship test (20-20)
February 15, 2016 / CIT 520 requested
March 25, 2016 / RQ requested
March 27, 2016 / Ecas changed to Decision Made
April 25, 2016 / Oath Invite letter ( Letter dated on by CIC April 14, 2016)

Thank you for everyone to helps or answers...( Dpenabill)

Conclusion: Don't afraid getting Cit520 and RQ..
Congrats! Will a RQ request be after cit520? I think I got cit520( was the one interview officer gave to me to request i94 records ?), so RQ request will be next?

Hope-Judge

Feb 22, 2016
S.Z said:
Congrats! Will a RQ request be after cit520? I think I got cit520( was the one interview officer gave to me to request i94 records ?), so RQ request will be next?
Hello S.Z,
This is depends on officer decision can request cit520, RQ or both of them. It depends on your application satisfy.

CANADAPATRIOT

Star Member
Feb 28, 2016
It is worth to track if there are some cases where ONLY CIT 0520 was issued versus CIT 0520 and RQ. Are there any applicants who only got CIT 0520 but no RQ..please post

arambi

Aug 16, 2014
I did receive full RQ
Citizenship
We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on December 2014.

We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s) on February 2015.

We started processing your application on March 2015.

We sent you a notice on November 2015 to appear and write the citizenship test on November 2015. The notice you will receive by mail will be your official confirmation of your appointment. If you have not received this notice prior to the date of your scheduled appointment, please contact us.

We sent you a notice on May 2016 to appear and take the oath of citizenship at the citizenship ceremony to be held on May 2016. The notice you will receive will be your official confirmation of your appointment. If you have not received this notice prior to the date of your scheduled appointment, please contact us.

fishbone

Star Member
Mar 15, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
arambi said:
We sent you a notice on May 2016 to appear and take the oath of citizenship at the citizenship ceremony to be held on May 2016. The notice you will receive will be your official confirmation of your appointment. If you have not received this notice prior to the date of your scheduled appointment, please contact us.
Congratulations!!

How long did it take between Decision Made and your oath notification?