+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anybody got his SAUDI driving licence exchanged in ALBERTA

newcomer

Dec 3, 2007
Middle East
Hi,

Did anyone get his Saudi Driving Licence exchanged in Alberta in order to get exemption from GDL programme.

If anyone having done so ,please reply I need some information in this regard.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thnx

seton

Jun 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2012
AOR Received.
05-11-2012
Med's Request
15-02-2013
Med's Done....
21-02-2013
Passport Req..
04-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2013
LANDED..........
03-05-2013
All your information is here: http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/1671.cfm#all_other_JM

Since Saudi Arabia doesn't have a reciprocal license agreement with Alberta, you can only apply for an exemption from the graduated program. You will still need to do the written and road test.

newcomer

Dec 3, 2007
Middle East
seton said:
All your information is here: http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/1671.cfm#all_other_JM

Since Saudi Arabia doesn't have a reciprocal license agreement with Alberta, you can only apply for an exemption from the graduated program. You will still need to do the written and road test.
Hi,

Thanks very much for the info and advice.

Well actually I understand that Canada has not any reciprocal licence agreement with Saudi Arabia but one can get exemption from GDL programme by submitting his atleast 2 yrs old DL issued from KSA.

The problem is that as I mentioned above the DL should be issued more than 2 yrs ago but Saudi DL does not bear date of issue whereas only date of expiry is mentioned.My husband s DL was issued almost 8 yrs back but unfortunately as it does not show date of issue so the registries here in AB need him to submit a letter/document stating his driving record history issued by Saudi Transport authorities.When my husband tried to get that type of letter/doc from KSA through one of his friends there ,he was informed that such type of letter cannot be issued in absence of original DL and original Iqama (which obviously my husband does not have now).

I just need to ask has anyone undergone similar sort of experience and how such type of letter can be obtained ?

Any help in this regard will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If he is unable to prove 2 years experience but does have a foreign license which is provable by the fact that he has the license and can get a translation of it, he would be able to bypass the one year learners permit period by passing the written exam and basic road test. With a GDL license, he can do almost everything he can do with a full license. The only restrictions are 0% alcohol level when driving and loss of license after half the demerit points vs. a full license. After 2 years on GDL, he would be able to get his full license by passing the advanced road test. This is the road I took myself as I also had problems proving 2 years experience.

newcomer

Dec 3, 2007
Middle East
Leon said:
If he is unable to prove 2 years experience but does have a foreign license which is provable by the fact that he has the license and can get a translation of it, he would be able to bypass the one year learners permit period by passing the written exam and basic road test. With a GDL license, he can do almost everything he can do with a full license. The only restrictions are 0% alcohol level when driving and loss of license after half the demerit points vs. a full license. After 2 years on GDL, he would be able to get his full license by passing the advanced road test. This is the road I took myself as I also had problems proving 2 years experience.

Thanks very much Leon for being so helpful and supportive as you have always been.This is an excellent piece of advice,though our first priority is to get a non GDL licence,still its a reasonable option.

Regards

an74

Nov 15, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad to London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AUGUST 30 2004
File Transfer...
APR 2011
Med's Request
01-10-2012
Med's Done....
09-10-2012
Passport Req..
24-10-2012. PP RECEIVED LVO 29 OCT, Decesion made line added Nov 13, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
09-11-2012, PP returned back 20-11-2012
LANDED..........
Jun 2013 got PR card August 20 2013
newcomer said:
Thanks very much Leon for being so helpful and supportive as you have always been.This is an excellent piece of advice,though our first priority is to get a non GDL licence,still its a reasonable option.

Regards
Thanx guys sharing this good info I m still in ksa n moving to calgary in jun this year please tell me how can I get this letter from road transportation ksa

messenger

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2011
Thessaloniki, Greece
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26/2/2013
Doc's Request.
28/1/2014
AOR Received.
Stage 1 22/3/2013 & Stage 2 Aug 2013
File Transfer...
27-3-2013
Med's Done....
31-1-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
7-5-2014
VISA ISSUED...
13-5-2014
LANDED..........
17-7-2014
an74 said:
Thanx guys sharing this good info I m still in ksa n moving to calgary in jun this year please tell me how can I get this letter from road transportation ksa
I also inquired to AB licensing and they told me that I should request a letter proving my years of driving with the country's licence. (I am in Europe but from a country that does not have reciprocal agreement)
Thats done i got the paper from my country's licensing authority and I will translated when I get to AB. (It has to be translated there by an authorized AB translator)
This way I will avoid the GDL and if I pass the written and driving exam I will be ok.

Regards

an74

Nov 15, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad to London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AUGUST 30 2004
File Transfer...
APR 2011
Med's Request
01-10-2012
Med's Done....
09-10-2012
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
messenger said:
I also inquired to AB licensing and they told me that I should request a letter proving my years of driving with the country's licence. (I am in Europe but from a country that does not have reciprocal agreement)
Thats done i got the paper from my country's licensing authority and I will translated when I get to AB. (It has to be translated there by an authorized AB translator)
This way I will avoid the GDL and if I pass the written and driving exam I will be ok.

Regards

Thanks so we must have to take this letter no option

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I had the similar situation in 2008 when I was preparing for a move from KSA to Canada.. I approached Saudi Traffic Police Dept ( licence issuing authority ) for getting a certification of my driving experience. The Captain ( he is the brother of my Saudi college ) gave me a computer print out showing my current licence history which contains date of issue and validity, on a plain printer paper, in Arabic. I requested it on the official letter head but the Captain said they are not authorized to issue any kind of such letter or certification. He told me to go to the Ministry of Transport office (MOT) at Malaz, Riyadh.. I went to MOT office and one officer told me to go to Ministry of Foreign affairs and get approval from there. Even though I was working in the Ministry of Civil Aviation ( MODA ) and I had some known people in other Ministries, I tried my best, but it was not successful. Several days I went one of my close Saudi friend to meet many officers but it was a waste of time. Most of them are saying why not Canada Government accept the Saudi Licence. What I can tell to them!!. With my driving experience for more than 20 years in KSA, finally I had to appear for Ontario driver's written test and road tests starting from G1, G2 and G accordingly..

However, may be situation changed now, and therefore try with KSA Traffic Police.

ItsBeenLongNow

Champion Member
Nov 26, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
newcomer said:
Hi,

Did anyone get his Saudi Driving Licence exchanged in Alberta in order to get exemption from GDL programme.

If anyone having done so ,please reply I need some information in this regard.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thnx

I took an extract of my driving record from Saudi Arabia (Maroor office)
It was on a big pre printed MAROOR, not letter head but water marked paper, in arabic of course.
got it and my Saudi D/L translated from OTIO Mississauga,ON. and went for G1 written test
once i passed my G1, I was eligible for and exempted from G1 & G2 road exit (road tests) and went direct for G
exam

Regards

wasimiq

Feb 25, 2013
Calgary
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dears,
i am moving to Alberta,i have a 10 years old Pakistani driving licence.currently i am living in Saudi Arabia but i don,t have Saudi driving licence.my questions are ...

1- Should i get a letter from Pakistan driving authority
2- my driving licence is already in english so i think i don,t need to translate it.
3- if i take a letter from a saudi insurance company that i am having no insurance claim or accident for last few years.i hope this will be helpful to tax and a G2 licence...pls answer in detail

messenger

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2011
Thessaloniki, Greece
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26/2/2013
Doc's Request.
28/1/2014
AOR Received.
Stage 1 22/3/2013 & Stage 2 Aug 2013
File Transfer...
27-3-2013
Med's Done....
31-1-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
7-5-2014
VISA ISSUED...
13-5-2014
LANDED..........
17-7-2014
wasimiq said:
dears,
i am moving to Alberta,i have a 10 years old Pakistani driving licence.currently i am living in Saudi Arabia but i don,t have Saudi driving licence.my questions are ...

1- Should i get a letter from Pakistan driving authority
2- my driving licence is already in english so i think i don,t need to translate it.
3- if i take a letter from a saudi insurance company that i am having no insurance claim or accident for last few years.i hope this will be helpful to tax and a G2 licence...pls answer in detail
1. Hi. Get a letter from your Pakistani Ministry of Transport stating the years you are holding the licence and the class of the licence!
2. Try to get an international licence as well (regardless of your being in English) This will allow you to drive in Canada I believe up to 6 months
3. Ask for a Bonus Malus certificate from your insurance. If for example you land in Alberta the insurance companies there they might give you a discount of 4% for each year of claim free driving back home. (40% maximum)

Good luck

an74

Nov 15, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad to London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AUGUST 30 2004
File Transfer...
APR 2011
Med's Request
01-10-2012
Med's Done....
09-10-2012
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
messenger said:
1. Hi. Get a letter from your Pakistani Ministry of Transport stating the years you are holding the licence and the class of the licence!
2. Try to get an international licence as well (regardless of your being in English) This will allow you to drive in Canada I believe up to 6 months
3. Ask for a Bonus Malus certificate from your insurance. If for example you land in Alberta the insurance companies there they might give you a discount of 4% for each year of claim free driving back home. (40% maximum)

Good luck
I have DL from pakistan from 2002 to 2008. But then i didn't renewed it, because I moved t KSA. I am having 7 years old DL from KSA but here no issuance date mentioned. Here getting letter from MROOR office is not easy. Any body can guid me what to do, I can renew my Pakistani License but I will travel directly from KSA not from Pak