Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
In Process Since Jan 7th 2014
VISA ISSUED...
07-02-2014
LANDED..........
09-03-2014
Anybody in this group doing daily commute to USA from Canada on H4 EAD, if so please reply , I need some important info

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Daily commute on H4 EAD is not allowed. H4 itself is void once you move outside of US
Where do people get this information? No such thing. You will be fine with commuting, but CBP officers are not always well informed and sometimes they will send you to secondary inspection.
Of course every time you enter the US using H4 Visa, the H1B spouse must be already in the US or traveling with you.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Good luck with that.
I was denied entry on H4 since we now live in Canada. If you still want to go ahead and do it, you can but very soon your entry will be denied and you will be asked to get B1/B2
You must have answered something wrong. Does your spouse live and work in the US in H1B status?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
You must have answered something wrong. Does your spouse live and work in the US in H1B status?
It doesnt matter as rules still dont specify this much clarity depth for making cbp to avoid denial. Many rules are still vague and left up to the interpretation to the officer who upholds the law. Same like how one judge blocks it and another judge allows the same subpoenas.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
It doesnt matter as rules still dont specify this much clarity depth for making cbp to avoid denial. Many rules are still vague and left up to the interpretation to the officer who upholds the law. Same like how one judge blocks it and another judge allows the same subpoenas.
That is unfortunately true.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
We (myself and spouse) live in Canada. Spouse is on H1 and i was on H4.
I was denied entry and asked to get B1/B2, got B1/B2 and no issues there after
Was the H1B spouse in the US already or traveling with you when you were denied entry? It will be informational to see what questions you were asked and how you answered them. Again, as above some of these things are highly discretionary and left to the CBP officer. But normally, they will at least send you inside for secondary and let a supervisor make the denial decision.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Where do people get this information? No such thing. You will be fine with commuting, but CBP officers are not always well informed and sometimes they will send you to secondary inspection.
Of course every time you enter the US using H4 Visa, the H1B spouse must be already in the US or traveling with you.
The purpose of H4 visa is to join the H1 holder living in US. If the H1 holder doesn’t live in US, H4 visa is moot.

I too was under the impression that having valid H4 visa would be sufficient to commute with H1, but CBP very well know what they are doing in denying H4 commuters. This is not grey area for sure because nobody is successful in commuting daily on H4 visa at different port of entries .

The experience of members on H4 commute is consistent. In addition to this member ybx, another member, I think, rakatatoon also ran in to similar issues. His spouse was denied entry and was asked to get B2 for such travels despite showing a print out of appropriate laws created by attorney. Justinline also quoted a story where H4 holder was denied entry when she attempted to pick up the spouse from US side

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
We (myself and spouse) live in Canada. Spouse is on H1 and i was on H4.
I was denied entry and asked to get B1/B2, got B1/B2 and no issues there after
but how can you maintain US employment with B1/B2? The whole point of attempting to travel using H4 was for to work in US with H4 EAD right. with B1 / B2 it wouldn’t be possible to work in US

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Commuters are unfortunately at the mercy of CBP officer's discretion in this matter. They seem to be taking the view that the H1 spouse must be 'living' in the US in order for H4 to enter. If there are enough H4 commuters, they can group together and find some judicial solution to this.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Commuters are unfortunately at the mercy of CBP officer's discretion in this matter. They seem to be taking the view that the H1 spouse must be 'living' in the US in order for H4 to enter. If there are enough H4 commuters, they can group together and find some judicial solution to this.
Likely a waste of time and money. Don’t think any US court is going to support couples living in Canada while commuting to work in the US on H1B and H4. Most likely they will say you have the option to live in the US.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Given that the experience is consistent across borders at different port of entries, CBP should definitely be right in not allowing H4 holders to commute.. no sane country would allow a dependent visa holder to utilize dependent visa without primary holder living in the country.

We are just armchair interpreters using bunch of websites and are concluding that they are acting arbitrarily.