+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

any way to help me renew my PR, RO problem

smsmsm

Apr 22, 2015
i am a PR and this is my story:

1- i landed in 11/2010 in CA as federal skilled worker and stayed for a week only, i got my driving license (G2, now expired), my TD visa, SS card, i didn't apply for health card.

2- then i left back to my country.

3- i was planning to come back to Canada before 11/2013 but i didn't as it was hard to me leave my new job there.

note: i didn't receive my initial PR card due to photo issue and i was planning to solve it when if i come in 11/2013, but i didn't as i said.

also, i lost my original landing paper (Confirmation of Permanent Residence IMM 5292) but i have a copy of it.

also, i have a USA visa till end of 2020.

also, i have been traveling all over in the past yrs during 2010-2016.

so how could u help me in that? is there a way i can solve my issue & come back to Canada? i am afraid if i apply to travel doc., it will be rejected since i didn't stay in CA as required by law & i don't really have H&C reasons expect i didn't find a job in CA by searching online (which they will ignore that, i know).

i am looking for a way to renew my PR & get back to CA.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
i am a PR and this is my story:

1- i landed in 11/2010 in CA as federal skilled worker and stayed for a week only, i got my driving license (G2, now expired), my TD visa, SS card, i didn't apply for health card.

2- then i left back to my country.

3- i was planning to come back to Canada before 11/2013 but i didn't as it was hard to me leave my new job there.

note: i didn't receive my initial PR card due to photo issue and i was planning to solve it when if i come in 11/2013, but i didn't as i said.

also, i lost my original landing paper (Confirmation of Permanent Residence IMM 5292) but i have a copy of it.

also, i have a USA visa till end of 2020.

also, i have been traveling all over in the past yrs during 2010-2016.

so how could u help me in that? is there a way i can solve my issue & come back to Canada? i am afraid if i apply to travel doc., it will be rejected since i didn't stay in CA as required by law & i don't really have H&C reasons expect i didn't find a job in CA by searching online (which they will ignore that, i know).

i am looking for a way to renew my PR & get back to CA.
You can try to get into Canada through a land border but that seems pretty unrealistic. That is basically the only option you have. Your best option is to see whether you still qualify and apply again after you renounce your previous PR. If you are somehow able to enter Canada you have to remain in Canada for 2 years and you can't sponsor your family. You will likely have to remain separated for that time.

smsmsm

Apr 22, 2015
You can try to get into Canada through a land border but that seems pretty unrealistic. That is basically the only option you have. Your best option is to see whether you still qualify and apply again after you renounce your previous PR. If you are somehow able to enter Canada you have to remain in Canada for 2 years and you can't sponsor your family. You will likely have to remain separated for that time.
yes i thought of that via land border, but it is so risky, they will report me even if they allowed me to enter. and that is my problem coz it means i will be in a case which will long 3-4 yrs in court and my chance to win it is very low, if there is any way not to be reported then it would be great.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
yes i thought of that via land border, but it is so risky, they will report me even if they allowed me to enter. and that is my problem coz it means i will be in a case which will long 3-4 yrs in court and my chance to win it is very low, if there is any way not to be reported then it would be great.
Canada has a very lenient residency obligation of only 2 years out of 5. There are consequences if you don't follow it. If you only spent a week in Canada you didn't really give it a good try. and that was 8 years ago.

smsmsm

Apr 22, 2015
Canada has a very lenient residency obligation of only 2 years out of 5. There are consequences if you don't follow it. If you only spent a week in Canada you didn't really give it a good try. and that was 8 years ago.
i know i am wrong & it is my mistake but sure it was out of my hands at that time, now i need a way to solve that.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
i know i am wrong & it is my mistake but sure it was out of my hands at that time, now i need a way to solve that.
Your only option is to try to re-enter Canada by land through the US. Impossible for us to say if you will be reported or not. However the chances are likely quite high given how long you've been out of Canada and the fact you don't have your original COPR or even an expired PR card. But you can certainly try. Again, this is your only option if you want to try to save the PR status you have now. Otherwise you have to reapply.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
It's too late to solve anything now. You made a conscious choice to not move to Canada, and now you must live with it.

As mentioned earlier, your options are to either: (i) try your luck at the land border; or (ii) renounce your PR status and reapply.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
so in case of i got reported at the border, how would be my life then? wt to do? ...etc.
If you get reported, then you should expect to lose your PR status and be asked to leave Canada since you don't have an H&C argument for failing to meet the residency obligation.

If that happens, you will have to leave Canada. If you want to become a PR again, you will have to apply again from the start.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
For clarification: there is nothing "wrong" about not meeting the PR Residency Obligation. While technically the PR RO is NOT a "condition" in the sense that Canadian immigration rules employs *conditions*, in practical terms that is what it amounts to. That is, in practice there is a residency obligation condition for keeping PR status.

Losing PR status for being inadmissible due to a breach of the PR RO is NOT a penalty. It is essentially an adjudication formalizing the practical reality: a PR who is not permanently settled, permanently resident in Canada, is recognized as no longer having the status of a Permanent Resident. That is, it is essentially a confirmation that the individual is NOT a permanent resident and thus determined to NOT be a Permanent Resident (that is, to not have the privileges and rights of a PR).

This has NO negative implications so far as Canadian immigration policy and practice is concerned . . . other than, again, the formal determination that the individual is NOT a permanent resident and thus NOT a Permanent Resident. Thus, for example, losing PR status for failing to meet the PR RO has NO negative impact on the individual's future applications for status in Canada (either temporary status, such as to visit, or study, or work in Canada; or a subsequent application for a PR visa).

You can consult with Canadian immigration professionals about your situation and obtain some information and opinions about what your options are at this juncture. My preference is to consult with an immigration LAWYER rather than a consultant, recognizing it is difficult enough to find a reliable attorney let alone finding a reputable, reliable consultant.

Otherwise, there are numerous extensive discussions in multiple topics here about similar situations. You can do some real homework, including reading through many of those topics, and evaluate your prospects, and make some decisions about how to navigate going forward.

It will probably be worthwhile to evaluate your eligibility for a grant of PR status again, such as through Express Entry or a provincial sponsorship program. That may be the best option available.

Depending on other factors, including your willingness to take risks and navigate your way forward recognizing major contingencies, and your financial and other resources, if you can in fact travel via the U.S., that route is a gamble but it is a possible route. If you can, in effect, afford to fail, and are willing to proceed with little assurances of the outcome, that could be your best option if, otherwise, a new application for PR status is not a feasible option.

There is NO sure way to save your PR status. The situation is what it is.

rish_ind

Oct 31, 2012
Hello Fellow members,

Thanks for all input.
Question: Many friends suggesting to travel via US-Canada land border in case of expire PR card. But if I travel from third country and just crossing via US and In case CBSA asked for US address and phone number then what to answer?
And what is best option: rent car from US or friend living in Canada can pickup is advisable?

Please guide, Thanks lot.