+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any US citizens with experience applying online?

Rockologist

Star Member
Jan 15, 2018
Before anyone suggests: yes I know I can apply at the POE.

Received my job offer and submitted an online application for a NOC 5241 position, which is LMIA-exempt under NAFTA or whatever they are calling it now. Because of concerns they may not approve, chose to be safe and apply in advance, with the caveat that if it was taking too long, I'd then apply at the POE and if approved, cancel my online application, as I understand I'm allowed to do.

So, far I'm a week under the processing time, and am still waiting for eligibility review to start, so I'm starting to gather things for next steps.

Has anyone here had experience with:
-Applying online as a US citizen? I have a decade-long history with CIC, multiple approved applications (student, work & visitor record) and do not require biometrics or medical. I assume there will also be no need for PPR. Is it safe to think that once in the review stage that a decision should be relatively quick (as long as no additionl docs needed?

-Has anyone applied at the border while a pending online application is under eligibility review? I'm assuming that is still allowed, but maybe during the eligibility they don't want you doing that, in case you're approved at the border but at the same time are being denied online (I'm trying to accommodate every possibility)?

-if you have applied online, was the process within the suggested CIC timeline?

Very specific questions I know, which is why I finally have to ask here, because there's definitely not really any searchable info for this situation.