+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any successful cases of provincial nominees moving to another province?

chelavnzuo

Star Member
Jan 2, 2014
I fully understand it is feasible in theory - we intended to live in the province of nomination and had lived there for X years, but then intention changed and we are protected by the Mobility Rights.

However, I would like to know if this is also true in practice, in other words, are there any recent cases of successfully renewing PR and/or obtaining citizenship as PNP inter-provincial movers?

Please share your personal experience with regards to this issue.

Thanks.

Edit:
I am not talking about cases where nominees landed in another province or nominees moved out of the province of nomination within days or weeks of landing.
I am only interested about the case where nominees landed in the province of nomination and had been lawfully living in that province for a number of years already before changing the intention.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
It's a non-issue. There is no problem with doing that.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Instead of asking about successful cases, you should be asking if anybody had any trouble because of that and no, I haven't heard of anybody. I haven't even heard of any cases where people got in trouble for leaving days after landing but still I wouldn't recommend that as immigration may decide to start going after those people at some point.

chelavnzuo

Star Member
Jan 2, 2014
Leon said:
Instead of asking about successful cases, you should be asking if anybody had any trouble because of that and no, I haven't heard of anybody. I haven't even heard of any cases where people got in trouble for leaving days after landing but still I wouldn't recommend that as immigration may decide to start going after those people at some point.
Hey Leon, do you know anyone in person (not from this forum) who was or is in the same boat as me, if so how did it turn out?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't know anyone personally but I have told countless people on this forum that it's safe to move, at least after staying a few months and not one of them has come back to complain that they had a problem afterwards.

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
There was even a story where a Newfoundland PNP PR landed at Toronto, and started working there, without ever having set foot on Newfoundland, and it does not look like he was in any trouble (yet). However, it is still not advisable to not even try to settle in the province who nominated you. While I don't think it's likely for government or immigration to enforce it, it gives the government a legal loophole in which they may exploit in the future to strip you of your PR status due to misrepresentation.

It's one thing to claim not being able to find a job in the nominating province (thus you have to move, say, to Toronto to find a job you want), and it would be impossible to prove that you were never intending to settle in that province in this case. But it would be much easier for the government to 'prove' misrepresentation if you never even set foot on the province who gave you nomination.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In earlier days, there was no checking if a PNP applicant was landing in their PNP province or not. They started doing that in November 2010, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2010/ob251.asp

So currently, if the immigration officer suspects that a PNP applicant is not going to settle in their PNP province, they may hold off on their landing and forward their documents to their PNP office where they will have to show up and convince the PNP office that they were indeed planning on settling.

I remember having heard of a couple that was refused to land because they were landing in BC and it was apparent that they had bought a house in BC already while they were PNP applicants from some other province.

There was also one person here who applied under Quebec, was working or studying in Ontario when their PR came through and decided to land in Ontario and their papers were sent to immigration Quebec without letting them land. I did not see that person post again about how their meeting with immigration Quebec went.

So currently, they are not even going after people who stay for a couple of days and then leave their PNP province but just like they started going after people who land outside in November 2010, they might at any time decide that they are also going to start going after people who land and leave. If that happens, it would be safer if you stayed for some time so you can say that you did intend to live there when you landed and that you tried to find a job there but did not succeed.

chelavnzuo

Star Member
Jan 2, 2014
Leon said:
If that happens, it would be safer if you stayed for some time so you can say that you did intend to live there when you landed and that you tried to find a job there but did not succeed.
What if the change in intention is not due to work issue but relationship? Say significant other is studying / working in a different province and I wanted to move there to be closer to her? Given that I have resided in the province of nomination for more than 2 years.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
chelavnzuo said:
What if the change in intention is not due to work issue but relationship? Say significant other is studying / working in a different province and I wanted to move there to be closer to her? Given that I have resided in the province of nomination for more than 2 years.
You are WAY over-thinking this. I said in my first reply that it's a "non-issue". I stand by that.
Everyone else has basically confirmed this to you, perhaps more eloquently....

Sit down, have a cuppa, and chill...

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chelavnzuo said:
It is really not a problem after two years. I have heard of immigration officers telling PNP applicants that they must stay in their PNP province 2 years, 3 years, until citizenship or even forever but there is really no legal base for such claims. When you signed up for PNP, you stated that you have the intent to settle in that province. As long as this was true when you applied and when you landed and they can't prove otherwise, there is really nothing they can do to you. They can not say if you stayed for two years that you never had the intent to settle when you landed.

The charter of rights and freedoms allows a PR the right to live and work in any province.

sumangrewal

Star Member
Apr 15, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi,
we landed montreal and became PR on Sep 2018 under Quebec skilled worker.We got PR card, health card till feb 2019.Can we move to manitoba or toronto in coming months permanently as not getting jobs of relevant field

Reactions: Manbirsingh

Manbirsingh

Star Member
Oct 21, 2017
hi,
we landed montreal and became PR on Sep 2018 under Quebec skilled worker.We got PR card, health card till feb 2019.Can we move to manitoba or toronto in coming months permanently as not getting jobs of relevant field
If u are not getting job in Montreal then it is more difficult to have job in Manitoba.
I’m in Manitoba more than two months and also planning to move but now confused about moving.
Looking for views here