+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any students denied entry? - Visa before 18th March

prospectiveab

Star Member
Jul 19, 2020
Two people that I know, entered Canada. The Canadian border officials were polite, although they faced some problems while boarding the flight.
Tell us more please. When did they travel? Do you know what questions were they asked by the CBSA officers? And were they offered online courses by their institutions?

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
Two people that I know, entered Canada. The Canadian border officials were polite, although they faced some problems while boarding the flight.
Thanks a lot for the information!

Could you please tell which country they travelled from and which airlines they booked through?

Will be really grateful for your reply and the information, as so many of us here are stuck without help.

Also, I heard some people could get in at the Toronto port of entry. Till now, I did not hear of entry at any other city. Did these friends of yours also go to Toronto? Thank you so much for all your help!!!

Jabs80

Dec 11, 2019
I know instances of two people:

The first person was from Bangladesh. I came across his experiences which he explained in detail (I don't know him personally). He went via emirates. He didn't have any problems at Toronto border. They treated him just like a regular student and asked only for regular documents. However he was asked for travel letter at Dubai airport, during his flight connection.

The second person is a friend of mine. He is indian, but travelled from Dubai. He travelled via emirates too. Both Dubai and Toronto border officers asked for regular documents only.

Both said they face no issue at Toronto (they are polite and considerate), and the only problem is the airport from which you board. In India, the border officials are dicks from what I hear.

Today, I saw a third persons experience on this forum. He travelled from Pakistan through emirates as well. His experiences also are consistent.

The problem is emigration, not immigration.

Reactions: GradStudent18

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
I know instances of two people:

The first person was from Bangladesh. I came across his experiences which he explained in detail (I don't know him personally). He went via emirates. He didn't have any problems at Toronto border. They treated him just like a regular student and asked only for regular documents. However he was asked for travel letter at Dubai airport, during his flight connection.

The second person is a friend of mine. He is indian, but travelled from Dubai. He travelled via emirates too. Both Dubai and Toronto border officers asked for regular documents only.

Both said they face no issue at Toronto (they are polite and considerate), and the only problem is the airport from which you board. In India, the border officials are dicks from what I hear.

Today, I saw a third persons experience on this forum. He travelled from Pakistan through emirates as well. His experiences also are consistent.

The problem is emigration, not immigration.

Thanks a ton for posting!!! I can't explain how grateful I am for this positive news in these dire times!

If you don't mind, what is the " travel letter " that was asked at Dubai airport supposed to be?

And how did the Indian manage to travel from India? Was it the Vande Bharat Mission flight from Delhi airport?

Plus did these people go for the fall September start date? If so, I was just wondering, isn't it too early to go now?

Please help out...it's a really difficult time now.

I've been hearing that a lot of Indian students have been denied boarding the flight...

Reactions: prospectiveab

Dafaqisgoingon

Star Member
Jun 12, 2020
Thanks a ton for posting!!! I can't explain how grateful I am for this positive news in these dire times!

If you don't mind, what is the " travel letter " that was asked at Dubai airport supposed to be?

And how did the Indian manage to travel from India? Was it the Vande Bharat Mission flight from Delhi airport?

Plus did these people go for the fall September start date? If so, I was just wondering, isn't it too early to go now?

Please help out...it's a really difficult time now.

I've been hearing that a lot of Indian students have been denied boarding the flight...
Mate its Air India which is causing problems even to Students with in person classes. I know two people who were denied despite having all the support Letters for in person classes...

Reactions: GradStudent18

Jabs80

Dec 11, 2019
The travel letter is a letter from your university saying that your presence is required in Canada for your studies (thus justifying the requirement to travel). Most universities are hesitant to issue it, so don't have high hopes for it but anyways try your best.

None of the people travelled from india. The first guy travelled from Bangladesh, the second was an Indian on visit visa in Dubai and travelled from there, the third travelled from Pakistan.

All of the national flights from Bangladesh, india and pakistan are hesitant to fly students. I'm guessing they must have got a memo to not let students board. That's the only logical explanation, because flights like emirates etihad and other international airlines allow students to fly as long as student visa approval is before 18 March.

The first guy and the third guy travelled in July for a fall class and was permitted to enter. The second guy began online classes in May and was permitted to enter two weeks ago.

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
Mate its Air India which is causing problems even to Students with in person classes. I know two people who were denied despite having all the support Letters for in person classes...

Oh no! I thought they should at least allow people with that letter to board...what's happening with Air India is not correct and unfair.

I don't understand how Air India is being allowed to monopolize international travel from India like this. Isn't it wrong?

Like I mean, if Air India can take ticket bookings from students, why not allow other airlines also to operate and take bookings from Indian students?

Makes me really wonder whether this is just a money-making scheme?

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
The travel letter is a letter from your university saying that your presence is required in Canada for your studies (thus justifying the requirement to travel). Most universities are hesitant to issue it, so don't have high hopes for it but anyways try your best.

None of the people travelled from india. The first guy travelled from Bangladesh, the second was an Indian on visit visa in Dubai and travelled from there, the third travelled from Pakistan.

All of the national flights from Bangladesh, india and pakistan are hesitant to fly students. I'm guessing they must have got a memo to not let students board. That's the only logical explanation, because flights like emirates etihad and other international airlines allow students to fly as long as student visa approval is before 18 March.

The first guy and the third guy travelled in July for a fall class and was permitted to enter. The second guy began online classes in May and was permitted to enter two weeks ago.

Thank you so much for posting!

I see...as you rightly said, I'm not really sure whether my university will give such a letter. They may not actually...who knows?

Oh I see...no one was travelling from India. Makes sense as Air India is denying all students it seems.

And your guess about the national airlines getting a memo to deny students seems very much possible. This is so sad, especially when Emirates, Korean Air, Etihad are all allowing students.

Thank you so much again for the information on when they travelled! It helps a lot to know about what's happening regarding travel, in the midst of all this confusion. Thank you again.

rahulshah9986

Feb 11, 2020
It was updated on 22nd July, 2020 and says as below:

Non-optional and non-discretionary purpose of travel

Students who have a valid study permit or were approved for a study permit on or before March 18, 2020 may be exempt from the travel restrictions if they travel for a non-discretionary or non-optional purpose. While many Canadian college and university campus locations are closed, classes are generally continuing online. Travel will be deemed discretionary or non-discretionary depending on individual circumstances. IRCC case processing officers will not assess whether the applicant is exempt from the travel restrictions when processing a study permit application. The decision as to the purpose of travel will rest with Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) officers.

Border services officers will assess the circumstances surrounding the student’s travel and consider, for example, whether any of the following apply:

• they are established, residing and studying in Canada. If they are established in Canada, their return is non-discretionary
  • they are expected to begin studying upon arrival after completing their quarantine
  • their presence in Canada is necessary for their continued participation in the program (such as in laboratories or workshops)
  • pursuing online studies is not an option for their school or program or not possible from their home country (for example, due to internet restrictions or bandwidth limitation)
  • the semester has been cancelled or the person will begin studying later in the year

A border services officer will make a final determination on the foreign national’s eligibility to enter Canada at the port of entry.

rahulshah9986

Feb 11, 2020
The letter from the university is must to prove that your presence is essential. So this mostly apply to research students who need to work in laboratories and not to course work students whos studies can be done online.

In view of this, I think now the Airlines should/will allow students to board the flight if they satisfy the above condition.