+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any structural engineers who got pr? Need some help with NOC

dmwakode

Jul 25, 2018
Hey guys
I am a structural engineer and have a few queries regarding NOC duties of a structural engineer.
I have a reference letter from my company which is a well known company in my field with presence in Canada.
My question is that duties and responsibilities of a structural engineer here in india working on foreign projects does not match upto 60% with those of NOC 2131 duties.
Has anyone faced similar issues?
Kindly reply.

Thanks

monica25

Star Member
Jun 18, 2018
Hey guys
I am a structural engineer and have a few queries regarding NOC duties of a structural engineer.
I have a reference letter from my company which is a well known company in my field with presence in Canada.
My question is that duties and responsibilities of a structural engineer here in india working on foreign projects does not match upto 60% with those of NOC 2131 duties.
Has anyone faced similar issues?
Kindly reply.

Thanks
Hi, Consider NOC 2231 or 2253 perhaps?

dmwakode

Jul 25, 2018
Hi, Consider NOC 2231 or 2253 perhaps?
Thanks for the reply. Noc 2231 and 2253 are for technicians. Whereas structural engineers are civil engineers with postgraduation in structural engineering or having experience in designing civil structures.

daninmotion

Star Member
Apr 22, 2022
Calgary
Category........
WP
Thanks for the reply. Noc 2231 and 2253 are for technicians. Whereas structural engineers are civil engineers with postgraduation in structural engineering or having experience in designing civil structures.
Hello, I know its been years but I am in a similar situation. Working as a Structural Designer with Civil Engineer duties. What was the outcome of your application? Did you apply as a Civil Engineer?

karankullar

Jul 11, 2012
Surrey, BC
Hello, I know its been years but I am in a similar situation. Working as a Structural Designer with Civil Engineer duties. What was the outcome of your application? Did you apply as a Civil Engineer?
If you have civil engineering related duties, how could you be a structural designer then? In practice, those two have some overlap but that overlap is mostly related to the kind of administrative duties they have. The technical duties are usually quite different. Please elaborate on your situation. Are you drafting for structural engineers or actually doing the design calculations and other related tasks as well?

daninmotion

Star Member
Apr 22, 2022
Calgary
Category........
WP
Hi, thank you for replying. I am doing the design calculations (multi-family residential, and commercial buildings) and the markups I design are added to the drawings by the drafters in the office. I also join meetings with different contractors (architects), and confirm the accuracy of construction drawings and conformance with appropriate building codes and regulations.

There is no specific NOC Code for Structural Designer.

I am not a registered Engineer but work under the direct supervision of the P.Eng of Record of the office. (Hold a Bachelor in Civil Eng and Civil Eng Technologist Diploma)
I do not sign any engineering drawings.

karankullar

Jul 11, 2012
Surrey, BC
Hi, thank you for replying. I am doing the design calculations (multi-family residential, and commercial buildings) and the markups I design are added to the drawings by the drafters in the office. I also join meetings with different contractors (architects), and confirm the accuracy of construction drawings and conformance with appropriate building codes and regulations.

There is no specific NOC Code for Structural Designer.

I am not a registered Engineer but work under the direct supervision of the P.Eng of Record of the office. (Hold a Bachelor in Civil Eng and Civil Eng Technologist Diploma)
I do not sign any engineering drawings.
That makes sense. You are essentially working as an engineer-in-training (EIT), just like any other graduate of a civil engineering degree would. However, your Canadian credential is a technologist diploma and your bachelor's degree is from Mexico. I wrote all this out so that you can pick any mistakes I may have made in understanding the situation.

There are multiple ways for you to go about this. A few things that come to mind:
1. Check to see if your bachelor's degree in from a university/college that is a Washington Accord signatory, i.e., the degree is conferred by an engineering degree granting institute that has accreditation from a national accreditation board that signed onto the Washington Accord. In case you don't know what Washington Accord is, simply google it. In short, if you have a degree that falls under Washington Accord, Engineers Canada and all the provincial regulatory bodies will accept your degree as an equivalent to a Canadian engineering degree. Important note: Do not confuse equivalency given by WES or any of the other degree assessing services with an equivalency granted by Engineers Canada. To register as an EIT, equivalency from Engineers Canada is what you need to worry about. On a positive note though, WES equivalency is good enough for IRCC to consider your bachelor's degree valid in Canada. If your degree does fall under Washington Accord, simply let Engineers Canada or provincial regulatory body know and they will grant you an EIT status. All problems solved. Title won't matter after that.
See the following link for Washington Accord colleges/universities in Mexico:
http://cacei.org.mx/
Make sure you graduated when the college was accredited. Sometimes the window of accreditation does not contain graduation dates and that's a problem.

2. I am assuming your engineering technologist diploma was a 2 or 3 year long diploma that falls under the Sydney Accord (engineering degrees have Washington Accord, technologist diplomas have Sydney Accord, and technician diplomas have Dublin Accord). You can confirm if that's the case at this link: https://www.cctt.ca/accreditation/accredited-programs?id=b900b8b1d6ff4882b5cfe6890ea6e2d2
In case the link doesn't work, it's the Canadian Council of Technicians and Technologists website. If your diploma falls under Sydney Accord, simply apply as a Engineering Technologist. The title of Structural Designer won't matter. Engineering Technologists can be Structural Designers. Happens all the time. And since you will get WES equivalency for your bachelor's degree. You will get the points for a bachelor's degree anyways when you apply for your Permanent Residence. Basically, applying as an engineering technologist will have no disadvantage over applying as an engineer. And once you have the PR, you can go through the process of getting your degree equivalency (likely take extra courses in Canada) as directed by your provincial regulatory body.

TLDR: title doesn't matter, simply justify the job under either engineer or technologist and you will be fine. If your degree does fall under Washington Accord, apply as an engineer after getting EIT status. If your diploma falls under Sydney Accord, apply as an engineering technologist after getting your GradTech status (could be different in different provinces, it's GradTech in BC).

Now, if your diploma does not fall under Sydney Accord, that's a whole different story. Let me know if that's the case and I will if I can find something. It will likely get a little tricky because then you will need to justify how you're working under direct supervision and your don't necessarily need the credential. I am not fully sure how that would work.

Hope this helps.
Cheers!