+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any recent Citizenship applicants 2019/20 from Windsor with H1b daily commute to USA

Dr kbknaidu

Jun 29, 2012
London,UK
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
BUFFALO
App. Filed.......
29th june 2011
Doc's Request.
17th july 2011
AOR Received.
1st sep 2011
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
May 29 2011
Med's Request
Oct 26 2013
Med's Done....
Nov 15 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
In Process Since Jan 7th 2014
VISA ISSUED...
07-02-2014
LANDED..........
09-03-2014
Hi Please reply who successfully completed their citizenship dream from Windsor commuting for work with H1b to USA and finally got the Canada Citizenship , if so please share your experiences and documents you should have and few people mentioned in the same forum that we need to have FAOI entry exit records but I have CBSA entry exit records, which one I need to take to the interview and how much time is taking currently, I just finished my RO with 1090 days by today, so planning to send all application next week or so, please guide me step by step, because there will be extra scrutiny for me as am a regular commuter to USA for work, and this will effect in interview as well. Thank you in advance

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi Please reply who successfully completed their citizenship dream from Windsor commuting for work with H1b to USA and finally got the Canada Citizenship , if so please share your experiences and documents you should have and few people mentioned in the same forum that we need to have FAOI entry exit records but I have CBSA entry exit records, which one I need to take to the interview and how much time is taking currently, I just finished my RO with 1090 days by today, so planning to send all application next week or so, please guide me step by step, because there will be extra scrutiny for me as am a regular commuter to USA for work, and this will effect in interview as well. Thank you in advance
I am NOT a naturalized citizen who was commuting to work in the U.S. prior to applying for citizenship (well, in a sense I was, but it was telecommuting pursuant to contract, thus technically self-employed working in Canada and not an "employee" of the American business paying me for my services, and it involved minimal physical travel to the U.S., which happens to be one of my least favourite countries even though employment there tends to be financially advantageous).

I have, however, watched for reports from Canadian citizenship applicants who were cross-border commuters in addition to closely following many other tangents related to potential residency or presence issues (both for citizenship applicants and PRs with Residency Obligation concerns). Based on this I can offer some observations.

Obviously, an applicant with such extensive ties to a foreign country, in addition to a history of very frequent travel, is WAY more at RISK for elevated scrutiny, thus far more likely to encounter non-routine processing, with a risk that the total stranger bureaucrats who will make decisions in their case might approach that decision-making with overt skepticism. You appear to be aware that you are likely to encounter such elevated scrutiny.

Because of this, the prudent cross-border commuter will WAIT to apply with a very strong case, an extra-strong case, and thus take extra if not extreme care to get everything right. Two looming keys to this are:
-- submitting a very near if not perfect travel history using the online presence calculator, and​
-- a good, bigger than usual MARGIN of actual presence significantly GREATER than the minimum required​

Frankly, if you are just now at the 1090 days of actual presence within the prospective eligibility period (the five years preceding the day the application is made), it would be FOOLISH to not wait to apply at least another MONTH. Sure, 1095 days credit within the eligibility period meets the requirement. But the applicant bears the burden of proving this as a matter of fact, proving it to the satisfaction of a total stranger bureaucrat. And while that burden of proof is technically the same for all applicants, as a practical matter applicants in situations likely to trigger stricter scrutiny if not outright skepticism would be wise to pad the stats, so to say, building up a margin over the minimum requirement which will readily satisfy even the more skeptical bureaucrats.

More In-Depth Observations As to Some Particulars:

" . . . few people mentioned in the same forum that we need to have FAOI entry exit records but I have CBSA entry exit records, which one I need to take to the interview . . . "​

Even though IRCC explicitly encourages applicants to NOT obtain their CBSA travel history (indeed, item 14 in the application itself includes the note "Please do not contact the CBSA to request your history of travel"), it is possible that bringing your CBSA travel history to the interview, along with a relevant record of movement or border control records from other countries, such as the U.S., could help in the interview.

HOWEVER, the interview is NOT a hearing. It is NOT, not generally, an opportunity for applicants to present additional evidence or otherwise make their case. If IRCC is not satisfied the applicant meets the requirements, and should be granted citizenship, based on the application itself subject to their *verification* procedures, including reviewing documents and asking some questions in the interview, there are separate non-routine processing procedures for that.

For concerns or questions about meeting the actual physical presence requirement, in particular, there are the non-routine procedures attendant what is typically referred to as "RQ." RQ itself simply means "Residence Questionnaire." Depending on the nature and scope of IRCC's questions or concerns, the applicant may be asked to provide additional information or documents, pursuant to which the applicant will be given CIT 0520, sometimes called RQ-lite, or CIT 0171, the traditional "RQ" which is also referred to as "full-blown RQ." Obviously the latter asks for a lot more than RQ-lite. And, actually, the RQ-lite has a checklist of requests, and for the individual applicant what is actually requested can vary from just one or two of the items listed, or to the full list.

There may be some instances in which applicants have presented additional information or documents at the interview, and by doing that avoided being issued either type of RQ. But generally it appears that if IRCC has questions or concerns, it will proceed to make the request formally, which may be given to some applicants in the interview or sent to the applicant after the interview. Regardless what the applicant has to show the interviewer.

For applicants with extensive ties in the U.S., especially work history in the U.S., yes the U.S. entry records are one of the things commonly asked for. And having those to present at the interview may suffice. Maybe. But my sense is not usually.

And the reason WHY presenting U.S. and even the Canadian travel history records is not likely to suffice is that if and when IRCC has a "reason-to-question-residency/presence," IRCC will typically want more than documentation of travel history dates. It is likely to want supporting evidence to prove actual presence IN Canada for days in-between the known travel history dates.

Which leads to the particular challenges applicants with extensive ties abroad might encounter, especially if their employment history does not constitute supporting evidence the applicant was IN Canada, based on being employed in Canada tending to show being actually present in Canada to attend to that employment.

In a way, what I am describing is some underlying cause for more scrutiny when a cross-border commuter makes a citizenship application. But the point is that the travel history only goes so far in making the case. Such applicants should be prepared to offer additional evidence to document they were, in fact, actually present in Canada during those periods of time they report being in Canada.

To some extent this aspect of processing citizenship applications is evolving, given the extent to which government records of cross-border travel are increasingly more thorough and reliable. Processing agents and Citizenship Officers can generally rely more on government travel history records, today, than they could even just a few years ago. They still will NOT rely on such records entirely. If there is much of any reason to question the applicant's actual presence in Canada, then other evidence is typically required to meet the burden of proof.

For prospective applicants apprehending elevated or even skeptical scrutiny, building a bigger margin of presence over the minimum tends to offer better insurance of success and better odds of smooth sailing through the process, or at least smoother (and faster) sailing than applying with a small margin all too easily challenged..

Dr kbknaidu

Jun 29, 2012
London,UK
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
BUFFALO
App. Filed.......
29th june 2011
Doc's Request.
17th july 2011
AOR Received.
1st sep 2011
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
May 29 2011
Med's Request
Oct 26 2013
Med's Done....
Nov 15 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
In Process Since Jan 7th 2014
VISA ISSUED...
07-02-2014
LANDED..........
09-03-2014
Thank you for such a detailed explanation, really I appreciate it

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
@dpenabill @Dr kbknaidu @harirajmohan I am also commuting cross-border. What kind of proof did you collect along the way to prove that you were physically present in Canada and meet the requirements in case they asked for it?
Some officers will ask for I94 history from cbp website https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/history-search. So you can keep on taking copy of your travel history every 3 months(as it only shows last 100 records).
Or you can simply apply foia request after the end of your residency(after you apply for citizenship) at https://foiaonline.gov/foiaonline/action/public/home. Some officers will ask this and this one will take months to get it but it will come before even you reach test stage hence you will be ready with your records if at all asked by cic.

I was asked for I94 history from cbp site but i sent the foia one mentioning that cbp site only shows 100 entries. Many have submitted foia/cbp-I94 history in this forum. So it should be sufficient for you to prove your residency days during commute period.
Apart from that, as usual, your other residence proofs such as rental lease, yearly rental receipts/home tax/mortgage documents can be collected yearly and kept ready.
For kids: Also start collecting report cards of yearly/half yearly/quarterly(whichever the frequency the school sends).

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/july-2019-citizenship-applicants.625579/page-191#post-9074993
Nowadays this is the list of documents they ask. Its not for all as nowadays they ask mostly the passport copies during the last many months unlike during peak pandemic (they asked only the above full list for most).
In the above list, you can only try to collect rental receipts/lease, child report cards along the way as foia takes months to come and provincial health summary takes a month or so. So you can collect these 2 after you apply for citizenship.
The above list was asked to me last month - Most receive this after the test, rarely before the test hence you can collect these documents before even you get your acknowledgement(or at least before your test).

Last edited:

neil_user

Star Member
Mar 14, 2021
Some officers will ask for I94 history from cbp website https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/history-search. So you can keep on taking copy of your travel history every 3 months(as it only shows last 100 records).
Or you can simply apply foia request after the end of your residency(after you apply for citizenship) at https://foiaonline.gov/foiaonline/action/public/home. Some officers will ask this and this one will take months to get it but it will come before even you reach test stage hence you will be ready with your records if at all asked by cic.

I was asked for I94 history from cbp site but i sent the foia one mentioning that cbp site only shows 100 entries. Many have submitted foia/cbp-I94 history in this forum. So it should be sufficient for you to prove your residency days during commute period.
Apart from that, as usual, your other residence proofs such as rental lease, yearly rental receipts/home tax/mortgage documents can be collected yearly and kept ready.
For kids: Also start collecting report cards of yearly/half yearly/quarterly(whichever the frequency the school sends).

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/july-2019-citizenship-applicants.625579/page-191#post-9074993
Nowadays this is the list of documents they ask. Its not for all as nowadays they ask mostly the passport copies during the last many months unlike during peak pandemic (they asked only the above full list for most).
In the above list, you can only try to collect rental receipts/lease, child report cards along the way as foia takes months to come and provincial health summary takes a month or so. So you can collect these 2 after you apply for citizenship.
The above list was asked to me last month - Most receive this after the test, rarely before the test hence you can collect these documents before even you get your acknowledgement(or at least before your test).
Awesome thanks for the great resource, just want to make sure I am covering things as I start on this cross border journey.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Is working outside canada on h1b after receiving AOR raise any issue for the citizenship application process?
Is that an issue during citizenship interview ? @harirajmohan
No one knows what the officer will think and how long they will delay.
There are some who are in US, completed their process without any issue. Some get asked on I94/pcc/documents on trips etc but most there is no issue.
We have cases pending for the guys who are inside. So we cant really assess anything to compare. Legally there is no clause for delay.
My colleage told that he moved to US during the test and interview during prepandemic. He had no issues. Eligibility criteria doesnt have intent clause hence you are free to move if you have to and just expect few months delay by some officers but i dont see issues more that that.
if we are unlucky then file might get delayed for 2-3 years and you might move back to Canada to retain PR status till oath which is the only pain part in this process.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mexontario

Mexontario

Sep 9, 2020
Windsor, ON
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
02-05-2014
Doc's Request.
23-06-2014
AOR Received.
04-06-2014
File Transfer...
23-06-2014
Med's Request
23-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Passport Req..
26-09-2014
VISA ISSUED...
18-11-2014
LANDED..........
04-04-2015
No one knows what the officer will think and how long they will delay.
There are some who are in US, completed their process without any issue. Some get asked on I94/pcc/documents on trips etc but most there is no issue.
We have cases pending for the guys who are inside. So we cant really assess anything to compare. Legally there is no clause for delay.
My colleage told that the moved to US during the test and interview during prepandemic. He had no issues. Eligibility criteria doesnt have intent clause hence you are free to move if you have to and just expect few months delay by some officers but i dont issues more that that.
if we are unlucky then file might get delayed for 2-3 years and you might move back to Canada to retain PR status till oath which is the only pain part in this process.
Agreed, I know some windsor applicants who moved righr after applying and completed their oath. Should be no issues as long as you can maintain PR status on the day of oath!!

Reactions: harirajmohan