+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any PRs from visa exempt countries - were you asked for PR card when flying?

purplesnow

Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rob_TO said:
Did either of you happen to have an eTA that you obtained prior to becoming a PR?

And if so, did you voluntarily tell the airline you were a PR, or did they just demand to see the card?
I didn't. Airline asked for an ETA. told them I had a PR card instead.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
ozlis said:
Yes - I had a valid ITA - I was asked for my PR card (both times it was more along the lines of....... er do you have a work permit or something for Canada?).

So you voluntarily told them you were a PR?

This still doesn't answer the initial question though. If you had simply told them you had no other status, would they have allowed you to board simply based on your eTA? That is still the unknown question.

I spoke to another Aussie yesterday, she is currently stuck in the states - Air Canada won't let her travel without PR card. Looks like she will need to fly domestic to a border town and drive over the border using her passport.
Does she have an existing eTA? Again if so, she could attempt to fly directly to Canada and simply not voluntarily disclose to the airline she has PR status. Of course this is a risk, but would be a lot simpler if successful.

methyl

Feb 1, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico City
App. Filed.......
29-07-2016, Received 02-08-2016. Out of status app.
Doc's Request.
PGR 30-11-2016
Nomination.....
SA Approved 31-08-2016
AOR Received.
AOR1 23-08-2016. AOR2 30-11-2016
File Transfer...
31-08-2016
Med's Done....
28-06-2016
Passport Req..
17-05-2017
VISA ISSUED...
06-06-2017
LANDED..........
31-07-2017
purplesnow said:
I didn't. Airline asked for an ETA. told them I had a PR card instead.
Did they actually ask you to show ETA? According to CIC web site to carry a piece of paper is unnecessary:

Do I have to print anything to prove that I have an eTA?
No. An eTA is electronically linked to your passport. You will need to travel with the passport you used to apply for your eTA

Seems that once airline is aware of person's PR status they demand additional docs. But what about when they are not aware?

So I'm actually wondering if anybody (except Americans and spyfy, who seems to get denied every time regardless ;)) attempted to check in based on passport only, and got "no board" response and only then showed the PR card resulting a successful check in.

ozlis said:
Required PR card at check-in, two separate occasions.
Was that a case of airline asking if you are a PR and you confirmed it?

ozlis

Oct 20, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Both times I needed to produce a document after they were checking in the system for a while.

I got the vibe that unless I was able to produce the PR card there was going to be an issue.

As for my friend stuck in the states, she HAD a valid ETA but not anymore now that she is PR. They did not let her board.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
ozlis said:
Both times I needed to produce a document after they were checking in the system for a while.

I got the vibe that unless I was able to produce the PR card there was going to be an issue.

As for my friend stuck in the states, she HAD a valid ETA but not anymore now that she is PR. They did not let her board.
Not really enough info to make any conclusions.

Airline may have simply asked your status in Canada, and you voluntarily told them. Could be much different from the airlines knowing you're a PR, and demanding a PR card to allow boarding.

Same with your friend, did she voluntarily tell them she's a PR, or did the airline already know this without her saying anything? And was her eTA still showing as valid on CIC website?

To really test the system, a PR with an eTA still showing as valid would basically need to board without ever mentioning status, and indicating to the airline they are a foreign national and not a PR if asked.

ozlis

Oct 20, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rob_TO said:
Not really enough info to make any conclusions.

Airline may have simply asked your status in Canada, and you voluntarily told them. Could be much different from the airlines knowing you're a PR, and demanding a PR card to allow boarding.

Same with your friend, did she voluntarily tell them she's a PR, or did the airline already know this without her saying anything? And was her eTA still showing as valid on CIC website?

To really test the system, a PR with an eTA still showing as valid would basically need to board without ever mentioning status, and indicating to the airline they are a foreign national and not a PR if asked.
Ok, I've checked my own ETA status online:

Following an assessment of your file, it has been determined that you no longer meet the requirements for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). As a result, your eTA has been cancelled.

Your file is now closed. Should you wish to reapply for an eTA, we encourage you to do so only once you have addressed the reason(s) for the cancellation of your application. At that time, you may submit a new application at www.canada.ca/eTA.

You are no longer considered to hold a valid eTA. As such, you should not plan or undertake any travel to Canada.

So I think you can say that as soon as you are PR, your ETA is cancelled and you cannot use it to travel. Which is logical.

methyl

Feb 1, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico City
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
PGR 30-11-2016
Nomination.....
SA Approved 31-08-2016
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
31-08-2016
Med's Done....
28-06-2016
Passport Req..
17-05-2017
VISA ISSUED...
06-06-2017
LANDED..........
31-07-2017
ozlis said:
So I think you can say that as soon as you are PR, your ETA is cancelled and you cannot use it to travel. Which is logical.
That is logical, however, it's not the ETA that is used to travel. It is the passport, to which ETA is linked, that is used to validate whether you are allowed to check in.
The question here is whether PR status is linked to passport in the same way that ETA is linked to passport, and would still allow you to board, provided that you do not disclose PR status to the airline.

ozlis

Oct 20, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
methyl said:
That is logical, however, it's not the ETA that is used to travel. It is the passport, to which ETA is linked, that is used to validate whether you are allowed to check in.
The question here is whether PR status is linked to passport in the same way that ETA is linked to passport, and would still allow you to board, provided that you do not disclose PR status to the airline.
I'm confused now.

So you are saying that if you try to check in without an ETA, but not mentioning that you are PR to see if the airline will just let you on without any further questions?

methyl

Feb 1, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico City
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
PGR 30-11-2016
Nomination.....
SA Approved 31-08-2016
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
31-08-2016
Med's Done....
28-06-2016
Passport Req..
17-05-2017
VISA ISSUED...
06-06-2017
LANDED..........
31-07-2017
ozlis said:
I'm confused now.

So you are saying that if you try to check in without an ETA, but not mentioning that you are PR to see if the airline will just let you on without any further questions?
That is the question we're trying to resolve.
As CIC says, you do not need to have ETA in hand, only passport (in case of non-PR).

ozlis

Oct 20, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
methyl said:
That is the question we're trying to resolve.
As CIC says, you do not need to have ETA in hand, only passport (in case of non-PR).
Correct.

If you don't have an ETA, they ask for another form of document to prove travel. They may not specifically say 'show me your PR card' but they will ask to sight whatever document you have to prove you can travel.

You won't get past check-in without them requesting whatever travel document you have (visa, PR card, PRTD).

This has been the case the last two times I've traveled as above. Actually three now that I think about it, twice in the states, once in China.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
ozlis said:
Ok, I've checked my own ETA status online:

Following an assessment of your file, it has been determined that you no longer meet the requirements for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). As a result, your eTA has been cancelled.

Your file is now closed. Should you wish to reapply for an eTA, we encourage you to do so only once you have addressed the reason(s) for the cancellation of your application. At that time, you may submit a new application at www.canada.ca/eTA.

You are no longer considered to hold a valid eTA. As such, you should not plan or undertake any travel to Canada.

Now THIS is good feedback.

Based on this report, it seems that yes, eTAs can in fact be cancelled after landing as a PR.

I have no idea why your eTA would have been cancelled, and not other PRs after they landed. Perhaps it takes a manual entry by the CBSA officer doing your landing or some other individual, or it's a new automated process that doesn't have all the bugs worked out yet so it's happening sporadically or people are being missed.

Regardless, seeing a new PR's previously obtained eTA actually be cancelled makes the concept of traveling on an existing eTA after becoming a PR much more risky. Even if your eTA showed as valid today, on the date you are scheduled to fly back to Canada it may be cancelled resulting in a guaranteed denial of boarding.

methyl

Feb 1, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico City
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
PGR 30-11-2016
Nomination.....
SA Approved 31-08-2016
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
31-08-2016
Med's Done....
28-06-2016
Passport Req..
17-05-2017
VISA ISSUED...
06-06-2017
LANDED..........
31-07-2017
ozlis said:
Correct.

If you don't have an ETA, they ask for another form of document to prove travel. They may not specifically say 'show me your PR card' but they will ask to sight whatever document you have to prove you can travel.
They cannot ask for a different document simply based on not having a printed ETA - printed ETA is not required, as per CIC.

ozlis

Oct 20, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
methyl said:
They cannot ask for a different document simply based on not having a printed ETA - printed ETA is not required, as per CIC.
I didn't say printed. They can see if you have an ETA in their system. If you don't have one, they will ask for something else.

methyl

Feb 1, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico City
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
PGR 30-11-2016
Nomination.....
SA Approved 31-08-2016
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
31-08-2016
Med's Done....
28-06-2016
Passport Req..
17-05-2017
VISA ISSUED...
06-06-2017
LANDED..........
31-07-2017
ozlis said:
I didn't say printed. They can see if you have an ETA in their system. If you don't have one, they will ask for something else.
The airline cannot see if you have an ETA. The way it works - the airline submits traveler details through the IAPI system and the system returns either "board" or "do not board" response.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
methyl said:
The airline cannot see if you have an ETA. The way it works - the airline submits traveler details through the IAPI system and the system returns either "board" or "do not board" response.
right, and if it says "do not board", more than likely they will ask to see other proof that you're allowed to travel to canada, right? so as the other poster is saying, that means they are essentially asking to see your pr card or something else.