+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any option to withdraw citizenship application for kids from a family application?

skeecandidate

Star Member
Dec 20, 2017
We filed for citizenship for our family of 4 in Aug 2021. We have received AOR for all 4 and background checks completed for myself and spouse. There has been no further updates on the application yet.
My kids are US citizens, and now I feel that I want to avoid dual citizenship for them and let them decide for themselves later if they really need it. Is there any option to withdraw the citizenship application for my kids from the family application and continue with the processing only for me and spouse?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My kids are US citizens, and now I feel that I want to avoid dual citizenship for them and let them decide for themselves later if they really need it.
There is no obvious disadvantage I'm aware of to having Canadian citizenship in addition to US. (The other way around is a different matter).

There are plenty of POTENTIAL downsides to not having Canadian, if eg they turn out not able to get later or live outside Canada, etc.

So with all due respect: get them the citizenship and let them decide if they wish to renounce one of them when they are adults.

skeecandidate

Star Member
Dec 20, 2017
There is no obvious disadvantage I'm aware of to having Canadian citizenship in addition to US. (The other way around is a different matter).

There are plenty of POTENTIAL downsides to not having Canadian, if eg they turn out not able to get later or live outside Canada, etc.

So with all due respect: get them the citizenship and let them decide if they wish to renounce one of them when they are adults.
Thank You, for the response.

But, just in case - Is there any option to withdraw the application for kids and continue processing only for myself and spouse?

GreenDragon

Apr 5, 2022
I agree - I can see no downside for having dual Canadian/US citizenship. If you leave Canada, they may not be able to file later (even if you have become a citizen), or if they turn 18 and leave Canada they can lose their PR, say if they want to go to college in the US. But if they are dual citizens, crossing the border to live and work in the future is easy. And unlike the US, Canada does not make them file taxes if they are not living in Canada.