+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any one can help please? About PGWP and Bridge Work Permit

rr88

Star Member
Mar 29, 2017
If anyone can help me, I would highly appreciate it!

Situation:
1. Graduated in Quebec in 2015.
2. Got Post Graduation Work Permit that expires on Nov 12, 2017
3. I did not get full 3 years PGWP because my old passport expires on Nov 12, 2017. I was got my new passport.
4. Got CSQ via PEQ, Federal submitted on Nov 3 2016.
5. Currently passed MD and was requested and paid landing fee.
6. Technically speaking, I should get my PR by Nov 2017 or Dec 2017.
7. I'm building my own app as my work, hence, no employer.

Should I wait for my PR? Or should I renew or apply a WP? I did a lot research and it seems I cannot extend PGWP, but only apply for new WP. However, I'm self employed, can I still apply?

MTL2MTL

Star Member
Feb 21, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey ,

According to laws , being self-employed you cannot get LMIA-exempt WP with CSQ . ....But... some have tried and applied for Bridging WP without job offer, and got open WP...Some got refusal ...it probably depends on agent's mood ...

Technically you need a valid status to stay in Canada, so you'll probably need to apply for a visitor visa...and hence you can't work..or deliver invoices to clients ..etc.

Reactions: sunnymks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
3. I did not get full 3 years PGWP because my old passport expires on Nov 12, 2017. I was got my new passport.
Regardless of anything else, you can apply for the remainder of your PGWP. This is the only situation where a PGWP extension is possible.

Reactions: Immstu

GA90

Aug 15, 2017
If anyone can help me, I would highly appreciate it!

Situation:
1. Graduated in Quebec in 2015.
4. Got CSQ via PEQ, Federal submitted on Nov 3 2016.
5. Currently passed MD and was requested and paid landing fee.
6. Technically speaking, I should get my PR by Nov 2017 or Dec 2017.
7. I'm building my own app as my work, hence, no employer.

Should I wait for my PR? Or should I renew or apply a WP? I did a lot research and it seems I cannot extend PGWP, but only apply for new WP. However, I'm self employed, can I still apply?
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Hi, I have a similar situation. I hope this will help you.
I only had 8 months (PGWP), but I'm eligible for 3 years since my Master's program was 2+ years. I met with one of the federal immigration officers at my university and I explained the whole situation to her. My old passport was expiring in less than one year, my embassy refused to renew it as they have a new policy and I had to apply for a new passport directly from my home country. Only after they can send it to my embassy in Canada. This process took almost 6 months, meanwhile, I had to apply for my PGWP within 90 days of my graduation. The officer recommended to apply online and attach an explanation letter with the above. After, I have to send another application "after my current Work permit expires" with another explanation letter. The officer was confident that I should be issued another 2 years/ 4months PGWP. My PGWP will expire next feb. 2018. The only concern that I have! it's taking so long to issue work permits at the moment (80+ days as per CIC webpage). so I guess you're so late to reapply! anyways it's always up to the officer behind the desk. you should try your luck and in case you were unlucky you should leave the country until you have your PR visa for landing. If you're living here, paying your bills and filing your taxes "the logic says they will try to keep you" Wish you all the best.