+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any new immigrants here - Please share your thoughts, personal experience, and views.

B2324

Apr 24, 2020
Hi Everyone,

My husband and I recently immigrated to Canada in January. The COVID - 19 situation has deteriorated since and we are unable to find jobs that will sustain us here. We're thinking of traveling back to India once the lockdown has eased, since we do not see how we will be able to manage funding our accommodation and daily expenses. It is an unfortunate situation, but we do not have the resources to support ourselves without permanent work, and have been faced with a lot of issues for accommodation since our arrival. We've been moving across AirBnBs, and do not have the funds to last us beyond May. I am sure there are more new immigrants like us in the same circumstance, and it is getting really difficult with no immediate solution in sight.

We were thinking of going to India once the borders are opened, and hope to come back (We have our PR cards) when the situation is a tad better here. Right now, we're spending a lot of money in dollars (which is a lot for us) without having any solid income that would sustain us back. Anyone else in this situation here? What are your future plans?

shl121

Jan 14, 2019
Hi! I'm sorry to hear that, I just moved to Canada permanently on last February. I was able to rent through (www.caprent.com). I'm working in the health sector ,so it wasn't hard to find a job but my brother working in amazon delivery and I think they are hiring so mauby you can check at least for the time being.
good luck & stay strong

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi! I'm sorry to hear that, I just moved to Canada permanently on last February. I was able to rent through (www.caprent.com). I'm working in the health sector ,so it wasn't hard to find a job but my brother working in amazon delivery and I think they are hiring so mauby you can check at least for the time being.
good luck & stay strong
Did you do your licensing already? Unless you come from few countries it is hard to find employment in healthcare right away especially in the regulated professions. Maybe you are in research or administration.

shl121

Jan 14, 2019
Did you do your licensing already? Unless you come from few countries it is hard to find employment in healthcare right away especially in the regulated professions. Maybe you are in research or administration.
No. I'm using my intentional license to drive for now but they accept my driving experience and my road test exam next month depends on Corona virus situation. My point they could check for jobs in amazon in general not necessary in delivery section.

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
No. I'm using my intentional license to drive for now but they accept my driving experience and my road test exam next month depends on Corona virus situation. My point they could check for jobs in amazon in general not necessary in delivery section.
I think they meant license to practice (healthcare) and not driver's license

almoststuck

Apr 26, 2020
Hi Everyone,

My husband and I recently immigrated to Canada in January. The COVID - 19 situation has deteriorated since and we are unable to find jobs that will sustain us here. We're thinking of traveling back to India once the lockdown has eased, since we do not see how we will be able to manage funding our accommodation and daily expenses. It is an unfortunate situation, but we do not have the resources to support ourselves without permanent work, and have been faced with a lot of issues for accommodation since our arrival. We've been moving across AirBnBs, and do not have the funds to last us beyond May. I am sure there are more new immigrants like us in the same circumstance, and it is getting really difficult with no immediate solution in sight.

We were thinking of going to India once the borders are opened, and hope to come back (We have our PR cards) when the situation is a tad better here. Right now, we're spending a lot of money in dollars (which is a lot for us) without having any solid income that would sustain us back. Anyone else in this situation here? What are your future plans?
I am very sorry to hear that. The situation indeed requires immediate attention; be it in your unfortunate case, or in general for all immigrants arriving anew.

I think this thread is the a good start to spark some light to the press. I propose submitting a story for the CBC to investigate:
https://cbchelp.cbc.ca/hc/en-ca/articles/217732587-Submit-a-news-tip-or-story-for-CBC-to-investigate

pavan23

Nov 18, 2014
Hi Everyone,

Hey, I Landed in January as well. Found a job in my field in April during the lock down. I know things are hard but would suggest you to keep applying for as many jobs as possible. Moving back to India at this point is a tough decision. Try to find part time jobs if possible. I haven't done any part time jobs, I managed by staying with Friends. Attend what ever interviews you get. I had around 25 interviews before i landed this job. All the best.

deadbird

Jan 9, 2016
Very sorry to hear that. Please keep faith and if possible try to find *any* job that pays the bills. You will eventually bounce back.

Julys

Aug 2, 2018
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
21-02-2019
Med's Done....
19-02-2019
Hi. I landed in Ontario mid-February. I barely had all my paperwork in order except for the provincial health care and started my job search process when soon after the lockdown started. Personally, I cannot travel back home because the borders are locked in my country of origin. My target job was IT Business Analyst but for now, I only found a quite unstable work from home call center agent job to allow me to get by until things go back to normal (when? it is yet unknown). I have no choice because the funds that I have saved for years are depleting fast when converted to CAD. Wishing everyone to stay strong and good luck!

Reactions: Tishawn