+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any native English speakers who have taken the IELTS?

Franakantz

Jun 27, 2012
This is Bonkers.

I'm English. I was born and live in London, England. I speak English every waking minute of the day. One of my university degrees is in English and still have to take this test? ???

F_W

Jan 23, 2013
Sorry, may be I was late to this discussion, but the primary question was really interesting. To me.

Anyway, Hello USNick!

Well thank you for your question – it definitely sounds tough according to our life during last ten years, yes. Certainly, all I can do – it's just put some of my personal experience, that's all.

As for the answer, I should say that: the IELTS exam is a very complicated one, and the trick is in its simplicity. Frankly, I was feeling like a dumb B (please, pardon my expressions, but I speak as I feel, which is a truly expression of the situation I was in) during my preparation to the exam at first.

Anyway, here we go.

1/ Taking the first part (listening) is very easy, it's approx. 1,3-2,0 slower than natural speech. At first it seems like that– oh, my, what a slap, can't I do that?? And then you starting to understand that regardless you understand everything (!), you are not able to write some because the sheet structure doesn't look familiar. And when you missed, you definitely start developing your stress rate. So it's like a card-house – one blow failures all the construction. And nobody's gonna care whether you understand or not – they'll simply doom your answer, and this is it. And there is no help with your margin notes and even complete writing after the speaker – you just have to do the task. That's the only thing required.

2/ The second part (reading). Well, almost like the first task. If you can read, there is nothing difficult with this. But, a structure of questions (and a structure of any particular question, for sure) may be slightly controversial – it may contain some variations, so your answer may be not correct, even if it is correct. Sounds silly, but that's true. And, for example, when you haven't studied anything for ten years, you may have lots of mistakes with understanding some academic expressions, so it's a real possibility to get a fail with this misunderstanding.

3/ The third part (writing). This part includes two tasks for writing. The first one is practically, a preface. They give you some graphs (diagrams), and you need to describe it. But the tragedy of the stomach issue is, that you have to use an ‘academic speech' so it's not enough to humble idioms or expressions – you just need facts. And you have to do it in a certain way – for example you can't use in your descriptive essay expressions like ‘in conclusion' – you have to use ‘to sum up', or ‘to summarize', you've got to start your paragraphs in a certain way, because if you don't, they'll simply dump all your work. Plus, for example, you can't use just an expression like this: “the graphs run together”. You have to say that they “confluence” at any particular point and etc. To make a long story short – all possible variations in that line. And definitely, the spelling is charged very attentively – if you misspell something, you lose a point.

4/ The fourth part (speaking). This part includes three sub-parts, which in common takes 14 min of speaking. Briefly, there are introductions, a topic (in common), and an abstract topic as a conclusion. The requirements are obvious – if you start speaking just like at home “yessir, I'm gonna do that, I'ma defntl'a good speeca, I'm sorey” ( :) ) or better, but in inappropriate style, either – you'll definitely fail the task. And don't pitch the professor with expressions like, for instance “I'm from Montana (Tennessee, Missouri, Burnsaltwhoknowswhere town, Smallville or Cheaperfalls – whatever you like), so I definitely can speak English, you know”. He (the professor) is probably from London (and not Canadian one), and he is PhD or something on English literature or on the Language itself. And, probably even his mama was a professor of English literature. So then, he'll simply loath and ridicule you right away and this is it. Your speaking may be slower, but rather official and polite.

Well, in conclusion. Speaking more seriously, please, pardon me for a little straight style of writing. There is no insult or abuse to anyone (to anyone). All I was trying to do was just an attempt to say this:

A. Be prepared. Even if you are a natural or native speaker, you will need your ability to speak in a formal style, formal language. Improve your vocabulary, Improve your writing - and especially the spelling. Read academic literature - the academic test requires academic skills. Do not do your attempts (if you want or need) to pass this test “on the spot”. Otherwise, you may be surprised that you take at about 6, and some non-native speakers did it better than you. That's very unpleasant feeling, believe me.

B. As any exam, it's a trick. And as far as you deal with a trick, you need to follow its rules. Because whether you don't – you fail. Remember – none need your abilities of a native speaker. All they want you to do it's just to do the tasks. And nothing more.

C. As far as taking this exam may need some people, who are natural speakers but they grew up for sometime in a different culture (my way, actually) they have to remember this: don't try crossing the bridge before you came to it. Saying this, I mean you don't show off your abilities. Anyway, professors are always right, remember this. Study as everyone. Prepare carefully. Work with all your potential. Follow the rules. This exam (a very good one) was created not for checking your native abilities, it was created for those people who are not natives just as a formula, and all is necessary it's just to follow it. And nothing more. Hope, you can understand what I've said.

Thank you.

See you, then.

Johnny31

VIP Member
Dec 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Franakantz said:
This is Bonkers.

I'm English. I was born and live in London, England. I speak English every waking minute of the day. One of my university degrees is in English and still have to take this test? ???
Yes.