+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any license or permission needed for a Event

Discussion in 'Start Your Own Business in Canada – Self Employmen' started by akash06f, Jan 7, 2018.

  1. Hello Everyone,

    Me and my couple of friends planning to organize a party for 200 people in a convention center.

    Do i need to register a company to do so??
    I will be charging people for the entry to the event?
    I want to sell my liquor on my own price in the event too do i need a license for that??
    Need some help from Senior members please.

  2. In order of question.

    No, but it would be in your interest since having a company would limit liability exposure if someone gets injured at your event.
    Up to you to charge or not...
    Selling liquor is a complicated endeavour. Yes license is required and will be hard to get. The convention center may have a catering company with licenses in place, but you will not be getting any of the profits for that.

    Good luck
  3. You'll definitely need a liquor license (specifically a public event liquor license) - make sure you apply well in advance since it's a for profit event - may not be that easy to get. You'll also need to have servers who are officially licensed to serve alcohol. Most venues have something called a corkorage fee on all bottles of alcohol opened - meaning a feel you have to pay for each bottle of alcohol you open / sell. Generally this means you're not going to make any profit on the alcohol you sell unless the prices you charge are very high.

    All liquor sold at the event must be purchased from the provincial distributor (e.g. LCBO).
  4. Thank you guys But do i need to register any company to host the event
  5. I am not aware of any requirements for you to register a company for this purpose. However. Hosting an event will incur some liability exposure for thing that can get you sued. And sure you can get insurance to protect you against that somewhat, the exposure does remain. Registering the company puts a legal barrier between your event and your personal assets. Might be a good idea irrespective.
    scylla likes this.
  6. No but you will need a liquor licence!

Share This Page