+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any landings?

mango.lassee

Star Member
Dec 28, 2008
To RV or anyone who has completed landing,

Per the CIC website (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/funds.asp), proof of funds for single person is 10,833 CAD. CIC website also says that if we are carrying an amount over 10,000 CAD, we have to disclose it to the official at the port of entry. This means that we need to show 10,833 CAD or 10055 USD (today's rate) which means that for a single person, the amount required to show as proof of funds falls in the 'disclose' category, correct?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
ML

Rocking vibes said:
I landed last week and it was the smoothest of the landings I have ever read.......keeping in mind the kind off complex visa situation.....I have an expired F1 on my passport with no H1B stamp at all.

I rented a car from Detroit Airport....($28 from Priceline), drove thru the Windsor tunnel, BTW I had all my docs as a backup and luggage to survive a month Just in case if I had to go for stamping in Toronto or back in my home country. OK, after crossing the moist tunnel(it runs under the Detroit river), I was stopped by the security gaurd on the Canadian side and I explained him that I was here for the landing process. He had a quick look at my passport and directed me towards the Immigration building. I was the only one in the line and the officer was very friendly and completed my paperwork, asked about how much money I was bringing in, and then told me that I don't have to fill up the form since I was not over $10000 limit(I had the form filled up already). I then gave him the goods to follow list and then he told me that my PR cards will be mailed to the Canadian address I gave him.....That's it. I asked him about the SIN office and he gave me the directions for it. After applying the SIN, I drove back thru the tunnel and the gave my passports to the US immigration officer, I told him that I was in Canada for landing and was returning back to the US, he said ok and then asked me to drive further...................I was like, should I drive to the immigration office, to get my I-94's in the passport. He said, it was no point for me to wait for 45 mins for an immigration officer to tear the bottom half of the I-797 and stick it in the passport, he asked me to do it myself. I was like WOW.....that was easy and very unlike other experiences I read...where ppl had to show AVR documentation to educated the officers and then get grilled regarding work status........I guess I just got lucky to run into a kewl officer, God bless him...................So the next step for me is to wait for my PR cards.

All the best to everyone else.....

And I also busted the myth that AINP guys cannot land elsewhere in Canada apart from Alberta, although my intentions are to settle down in Calgary once my company approves the transfer.

Rocking vibes

Oct 29, 2008
I did not take any funds with me although I had the bank statements handy. They did not check any funds while entering Canada.......I am not sure if I got lucky or if that's the procedure.

manianz47

Sep 15, 2008
To Mango.lasse..

If you are entering with more than CAD 10000.00, you should declare that to Customs with the
E677 Cross-Border Currency or Monetary Instruments Report-Individual form
This is mandatory. Ensure this even if the IO does not ask...
Bank statements are not considered as funds being brought in hence the above form need not be filled.

All the Best

mango.lassee

Star Member
Dec 28, 2008
Thanks RV and Manian.

I'm just trying to find out if I need to take 10,000 or more to show as proof of funds. If not necessary to carry that much, then I don't plan on doing so (it is a huge sum!).

Anyone else who can share their pointers/experience on this subject? Thanks.

poppyjml

Star Member
Nov 1, 2008
in my case, I also thought that I need to take the entire 10000 when I land, so i have some in cashier's check and some in cash.
but, they didn't even check it. they just asked me how much i brought without looking at my cash or cc.

btw, i landed in calgary. i dunno if that's also the case in edmonton.

Hope42010

Star Member
Oct 15, 2009
Brazil
poppyjml said:
I landed last Saturday in Calgary by plane. I didn't have any problems during the landing. It took me 1 1/2 hours in the immigration just because the line was long, and some of those that came before me took a long time to finish. They just looked at my passport, COPR and asked me how much money I'm bringing and the address where I'll be staying.

Then after I was done, I took my baggages, and I presented my 2 lists of item.1 is for the Goods that I'm currently bringing in and 1 for the list of goods to follow. They then asked me to sign a couple of papers, asked me again about how much money I'm bringing in, signed my list of goods to follow, made a copy of that list, and gave me a copy. And that was it! :)

Then monday, I applied for SIN, alberta health insurance, and swapped my US driver's license for an Alberta DL. And I just opened a bank account yesterday.

I'm currently busy now job hunting. Hope I find a job soon!

Good Luck to all those who will be landing! :)
Great news and good luck to you with your new life, what category did you apply? And what is your line of work?

Thanks.

poppyjml

Star Member
Nov 1, 2008
Thanks Hope!!
I applied using the strategic recruitment stream of alberta. my NOC code is 2171, so I'm in IT.

Hope42010

Star Member
Oct 15, 2009
Brazil
Damm it !!!! I should have listened to my mother and stayed in school instead grabbing a hammer and going out after money… ;-D

Just kidding, again good luck and prosperity.

Seinfeld

May 31, 2009
So mango.lassee, What did you finally do? Am in the same situation. Am landing as a family of 3, CIC website states 16580 CAD as the min. funds requirement for 3 people.
Can I take like 8000$ each in cashier's check (draft) in me and my wife's name? Will that suffice since individually it's less than 10,000 CAD, we don't have to fill up the disclosure of funds thing?
Also, CIC site states that proof of funds have to be provided only at the time of application of immigration. In that case, Is it mandatory to show proof of funds while landing? Can someone please clarify?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/funds.asp

mango.lassee said:
Thanks RV and Manian.

I'm just trying to find out if I need to take 10,000 or more to show as proof of funds. If not necessary to carry that much, then I don't plan on doing so (it is a huge sum!).

C

cchabert

Seinfeld said:
So mango.lassee, What did you finally do? Am in the same situation. Am landing as a family of 3, CIC website states 16580 CAD as the min. funds requirement for 3 people.
Can I take like 8000$ each in cashier's check (draft) in me and my wife's name? Will that suffice since individually it's less than 10,000 CAD, we don't have to fill up the disclosure of funds thing?
Also, CIC site states that proof of funds have to be provided only at the time of application of immigration. In that case, Is it mandatory to show proof of funds while landing? Can someone please clarify?

mango.lassee said:
Thanks RV and Manian.

One of the blanks on the CORP form is for how many funds you bring, some get asked some don;t, but if for any reason you be asked to show your funds and you don;t have the way to proof it you will coming back in the same airplane

jati

Jun 19, 2009
I have landed in july,2009 and got my PR card in Oct,09. On the day i landed and applied for PR, officer asked me for that how much money i have with me.. I told him that as i hv an arranged employment so im not carrying any money. He asked me some company details and completed all my formalities and wish me best of luck. On the third day of landing, I went back to my home country for doing all my pending work like sale of property and packing etc. as i hv not done all this before. Now as i got my PR card and completed all my pending things and now ready to move with my family (4 persons including me). Is still my family have to show or declare the money. I am already a PR card holder and my family members are landing first time, so i have to proceed through the same window, from where my family members will go or i am allowed to go directly out of the airport without any custom formalities.

One more question...This CAD 10,000 limit is the total we all carry or its for individual and is there any risk if carrying more than that...what type of form we have to fill if we are carrying more than the limit.

Thanks in advance for sharing experiences.

mango.lassee

Star Member
Dec 28, 2008
Seinfeld,

I took a cashiers check as proof of funds (< 10K). They wrote it down in my COPR and everything went smoothly with my landing.

The way I read the proof of funds link is that you need to show more then 16850 CAD for your family when you are applying for AINP, not when you are actually landing. Folks, correct me if I am stating otherwise.

I'm not sure how the 8000$/person works in your case as this was not my situation. Do you each have a different COPR form? Perhaps you could take 8000$ + your bank statements and show them that you have some $$ while entering while the rest can be easily wired to Canada? Good luck!

Also, thanks to RV, Manian and poppy for their advice earlier in this thread.

Seinfeld said:

mango.lassee said:
Thanks RV and Manian.