+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any landings?

nix1

Nov 16, 2008
USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kishankanhaiya said:
How will you go an collect it now that you are in the US?

thanks!
I am sure Rocking Vibes will answer you, but I just wanted to say something too. He is a permanent resident of Canada and he is free to come and go. You do not have to have a PR card to be able to travel. You have other documents that tell the border people that you are a Canadian PR.

kishankanhaiya

Jan 7, 2009
nix1 said:
kishankanhaiya said:

thanks!
I am sure Rocking Vibes will answer you, but I just wanted to say something too. He is a permanent resident of Canada and he is free to come and go. You do not have to have a PR card to be able to travel. You have other documents that tell the border people that you are a Canadian PR.
thanks Nix! I believe you are refering to the COPR document. I have read on other forums that you can use COPR document to travel back and forth if you do not travel by commercial carrier. I just want to confirm.

ingegarcia

Jun 19, 2008
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
28-01-2010
Can I use a rental car to potentially travel back and forth from/to Canada? or would it be consider a commercial carrier...

kishankanhaiya said:
nix1 said:
kishankanhaiya said:

thanks!
thanks Nix! I believe you are refering to the COPR document. I have read on other forums that you can use COPR document to travel back and forth if you do not travel by commercial carrier. I just want to confirm.

Seinfeld

May 31, 2009
Hi RV,
Did you give a Ontario address to send the PR card? If yes, you've busted another myth too that you should give an AB address only.

Also, you entered back into the US with no stamping and with just the petition+I94. Wow..Aren't US immigration supposed to take your fingerprints (like they do in airports when someone enters the country)

Rocking vibes said:
I landed last week and it was the smoothest of the landings I have ever read.......keeping in mind the kind off complex visa situation.....I have an expired F1 on my passport with no H1B stamp at all.

I rented a car from Detroit Airport....($28 from Priceline), drove thru the Windsor tunnel, BTW I had all my docs as a backup and luggage to survive a month Just in case if I had to go for stamping in Toronto or back in my home country. OK, after crossing the moist tunnel(it runs under the Detroit river), I was stopped by the security gaurd on the Canadian side and I explained him that I was here for the landing process. He had a quick look at my passport and directed me towards the Immigration building. I was the only one in the line and the officer was very friendly and completed my paperwork, asked about how much money I was bringing in, and then told me that I don't have to fill up the form since I was not over $10000 limit(I had the form filled up already). I then gave him the goods to follow list and then he told me that my PR cards will be mailed to the Canadian address I gave him.....That's it. I asked him about the SIN office and he gave me the directions for it. After applying the SIN, I drove back thru the tunnel and the gave my passports to the US immigration officer, I told him that I was in Canada for landing and was returning back to the US, he said ok and then asked me to drive further...................I was like, should I drive to the immigration office, to get my I-94's in the passport. He said, it was no point for me to wait for 45 mins for an immigration officer to tear the bottom half of the I-797 and stick it in the passport, he asked me to do it myself. I was like WOW.....that was easy and very unlike other experiences I read...where ppl had to show AVR documentation to educated the officers and then get grilled regarding work status........I guess I just got lucky to run into a kewl officer, God bless him...................So the next step for me is to wait for my PR cards.

All the best to everyone else.....

And I also busted the myth that AINP guys cannot land elsewhere in Canada apart from Alberta, although my intentions are to settle down in Calgary once my company approves the transfer.

GirlOntario

Star Member
Aug 23, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Seinfeld said:
Hi RV,
Did you give a Ontario address to send the PR card? If yes, you've busted another myth too that you should give an AB address only.

Also, you entered back into the US with no stamping and with just the petition+I94. Wow..Aren't US immigration supposed to take your fingerprints (like they do in airports when someone enters the country)

Rocking vibes said:
I landed last week and it was the smoothest of the landings I have ever read.......keeping in mind the kind off complex visa situation.....I have an expired F1 on my passport with no H1B stamp at all.

I rented a car from Detroit Airport....($28 from Priceline), drove thru the Windsor tunnel, BTW I had all my docs as a backup and luggage to survive a month Just in case if I had to go for stamping in Toronto or back in my home country. OK, after crossing the moist tunnel(it runs under the Detroit river), I was stopped by the security gaurd on the Canadian side and I explained him that I was here for the landing process. He had a quick look at my passport and directed me towards the Immigration building. I was the only one in the line and the officer was very friendly and completed my paperwork, asked about how much money I was bringing in, and then told me that I don't have to fill up the form since I was not over $10000 limit(I had the form filled up already). I then gave him the goods to follow list and then he told me that my PR cards will be mailed to the Canadian address I gave him.....That's it. I asked him about the SIN office and he gave me the directions for it. After applying the SIN, I drove back thru the tunnel and the gave my passports to the US immigration officer, I told him that I was in Canada for landing and was returning back to the US, he said ok and then asked me to drive further...................I was like, should I drive to the immigration office, to get my I-94's in the passport. He said, it was no point for me to wait for 45 mins for an immigration officer to tear the bottom half of the I-797 and stick it in the passport, he asked me to do it myself. I was like WOW.....that was easy and very unlike other experiences I read...where ppl had to show AVR documentation to educated the officers and then get grilled regarding work status........I guess I just got lucky to run into a kewl officer, God bless him...................So the next step for me is to wait for my PR cards.

All the best to everyone else.....

And I also busted the myth that AINP guys cannot land elsewhere in Canada apart from Alberta, although my intentions are to settle down in Calgary once my company approves the transfer.
He mentioned that Immigration officer on US Side was newbie

nix1

Nov 16, 2008
USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey Guys,

I am planning on landing on Nov 15 through Sweetgrass/Coutts port of entry. It's a port of entry located along the Montana-Alberta border.

I am planning on driving my minivan. It is financed by a bank and the title is with them. What documents (related to car) do I need to carry with me? I do not want to import the car this time as I am coming back in a week. Thanks.

C

cchabert

Good Nix1 but why crossing and return? For the car I'll bring the latest statement and the contract of the car, and I don't know what they will told you at the border so you experience will be very appreciated here.

Keep us posted.

CCH

manianz47

Sep 15, 2008
Hi

If you are not importing the car now, you should include that in the Goods to Follow List.
In this case no documents are required for the car.
If you intend to return to US immediately and inform so then no issues. If not they will ask you how you will import later (into Canada)

nix1

Nov 16, 2008
USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks CCH and Manianz.

I am planning on including the minivan in the Goods to Follow list. I will have a lot of stuff in that list. But my question is, what happens if some of the things that I have included in the list are not there when I permanently move there. For example, I will add TV in the list now, but if I sold it before I move. I will not have the TV even though I have put it in the list. Would there be a problem?

If they ask me how I will import the car later (next year), what should I tell them? I am just planning on driving it to Alberta again, leave my family there, come back to the US and load everything in a truck and drive myself.

I am concern on this immediate returning matter. I read somewhere on the web that they do not like people just landing and going back to the US right away. But I do not want to lie them saying I am moving to Alberta for good. Any advice what I should do?

GirlOntario

Star Member
Aug 23, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nix1 said:
Thanks CCH and Manianz.

I am planning on including the minivan in the Goods to Follow list. I will have a lot of stuff in that list. But my question is, what happens if some of the things that I have included in the list are not there when I permanently move there. For example, I will add TV in the list now, but if I sold it before I move. I will not have the TV even though I have put it in the list. Would there be a problem?

If they ask me how I will import the car later (next year), what should I tell them? I am just planning on driving it to Alberta again, leave my family there, come back to the US and load everything in a truck and drive myself.

I am concern on this immediate returning matter. I read somewhere on the web that they do not like people just landing and going back to the US right away. But I do not want to lie them saying I am moving to Alberta for good. Any advice what I should do?
It will be extremely punishable offence. Where CIC may put you in Jail with 5000$ fine if you don't carry that junk TV which you bought from craigslist. Canadian govt want people to bring all junk like TV, Shampoo Bottle, Desi Garam Masala, Maggi Tomato sauce bottle, Patel Brothers' broom, Oracle and Unix books. What else an Indian IT professional can carry while migrate to another country? :))

manianz47

Sep 15, 2008
Hi nix1
Not importing something that is included in your Goods To Follow list is not an issue. You cannot import something that is not in the list (without paying Taxes).

For importing the car later - better have a valid / convincing reason.

All the best

nix1

Nov 16, 2008
USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
manianz47,

Thank you so much. You have been very helpful. You said, "For importing the car later - better have a valid / convincing reason." Wasn't my reasoning convincing? What do you think I should say?

aNewHope

Star Member
Feb 24, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nix1:

I would probably try going across the border in a rental car. This eliminates most of the issues and makes it a clean entry and exit.

Good Luck!

Cheers,

nix1 said:
manianz47,

Thank you so much. You have been very helpful. You said, "For importing the car later - better have a valid / convincing reason." Wasn't my reasoning convincing? What do you think I should say?

druckers

Jan 5, 2009
Those who landed, is there a specific document/template for 'goods to follow list'?

Or you wrote everything in a normal document with prices etc? Can someone provide some example of the list?

nix1

Nov 16, 2008
USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks aNewHope. I am thinking about renting a car too. I want to make the landing pain free.

druckers, here you go: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/b4-eng.pdf