+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any idea how to clear goods to follow from Customs?

SkilledPro

Mar 13, 2009
Hi,

I have about 3 boxes of goods to follow that will come from USA via UPS. According to UPS, they do not clear Personal Effects goods from customs and that I will be the one to clear it myself. I wonder if anyone has tried doing this? I was told that POrt of Entry will contact me when my boxes arrived. Any idea or input on how to go about the procedure?

Thanks in advance.

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I had about 13 boxes sent from Jeddah (Saudi Arabia) port by cargo shipment to my destination at Toronto.

When cargo arrived I got call from the clearing agent in Toronto and they wanted me to go to their office first and submit the Original B/L and pay $ 233 towards Handling, Security Surcharge, DDC and Customs Inspection and once I did the same they given me a receipt and a " long Room Copy" and " Custom Delivery Authority".

I was asked to go and do customs clearance at Canada Customs by submitting " Long Room Copy", " Custom Delivery Authority" and Casual Goods Accounting Document( This document I received from Canada Customs at Pearson airport while declaring goods to follow with the B4 forms at the Airport customs when I first arrived).

For Identification your passport and PR Card also to be shown.

The customs officer asked me whether cargo has any items other than what is declared and said they will check. I said no and the officer went inside and came back after 5 minutes and given me the documents with their stamp as Goods Arrived and OK for Pick up and also put Canada Customs Stamp.

I was asked to go to IWD Warehouse and pick up the Carg. IWD keeps cargo for one week free and after words they charge. Storage charge $ 40 for 2 days and $ 20/day for additional days. Dock charges $40 also is payable. I had to pay total $80.

You have to do the loading of the cargo.

Canada Customs open 24 hours/7 days a week.

Delivery agent Monday to Friday 9 am to 5 pm.

IWD Warehouse Monday to Friday 8 am to 4 pm.

Hope you got an idea about the formalities and how things work out.
Good luck.

mustafa001

Star Member
Apr 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/2006
Doc's Request.
09/02/2009
AOR Received.
19/03/2007
IELTS Request
02/07/2009
Med's Request
04/04/2011
Med's Done....
30/04/2011
Interview........
31/01/2011
Passport Req..
02/06/2011
VISA ISSUED...
25/07/2011
LANDED..........
18/08/2011 ( Inshallah)
Dear wilson

do you advice me to take my furinuter from Dubai or purchase from there cost wise and from where can i get items to follow sheets and which shpping agency is cheaper please advice

SkilledPro

Mar 13, 2009
Hi Wilson,

Thank you for the info. I wonder if I will need to pay and why do we need pay for the Handling, Security Surcharge, DDC and Customs Inspection? From my understanding, the $233 was paid to the cargo company? was this an extra payment on top of the shipping charges?

Best Regards,

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mustafa001 said:
Dear wilson

do you advice me to take my furinuter from Dubai or purchase from there cost wise and from where can i get items to follow sheets and which shpping agency is cheaper please advice
Hi Musthafa,

There are several cargo agents in Dubai. All of them are not charging equal as they are sub agents of shippers. So you should check with some of them individually.

For furniture, I don't think you will be benefitted by shipping to Canada. The freight and handling will cost you more than a new one in Canada. There are lot of furniture shops in Canada where you can get the stuff cheap during any sale period. Small items like chairs, cabinets etx are found in Canadian Tire. You should wait and see the proper time by comparing with the weekly flyers distributed.

I shipped only useful items like my crockeries, cutleries, kitchen utensils, sheets, dress, some books and I baught lot of winter dress from the malls during the sale period. Always check the price, weight and the size of the items. Please don't carry any electrical equipments which is not 11o Volt or dual votage of 110-220 V ( or 240V), with flat blade plugs.(US and Canadian standard).

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SkilledPro said:
Hi Wilson,

Thank you for the info. I wonder if I will need to pay and why do we need pay for the Handling, Security Surcharge, DDC and Customs Inspection? From my understanding, the $233 was paid to the cargo company? was this an extra payment on top of the shipping charges?

Best Regards,
Hi skilledpro,
Yes, I paid in addition to the freight amount paid to the Cargo agent. The charges depends on the total consignment weight. As you have only 3 boxes and as you are sending with UPS the charges may not be high. But you have to pay some thing, which I cannot say how much it would be.

canadaforall

Champion Member
Aug 11, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30th January 2009
Doc's Request.
February .12 .2009
AOR Received.
30. 08.2009
IELTS Request
no
File Transfer...
Med's Request
march 27th 2012
Med's Done....
5 april 2012
Interview........
waved
Passport Req..
March 27th 2912
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
wilson said:
Hi Musthafa,

There are several cargo agents in Dubai. All of them are not charging equal as they are sub agents of shippers. So you should check with some of them individually.

For furniture, I don't think you will be benefitted by shipping to Canada. The freight and handling will cost you more than a new one in Canada. There are lot of furniture shops in Canada where you can get the stuff cheap during any sale period. Small items like chairs, cabinets etx are found in Canadian Tire. You should wait and see the proper time by comparing with the weekly flyers distributed.

I shipped only useful items like my crockeries, cutleries, kitchen utensils, sheets, dress, some books and I baught lot of winter dress from the malls during the sale period. Always check the price, weight and the size of the items. Please don't carry any electrical equipments which is not 11o Volt or dual votage of 110-220 V ( or 240V), with flat blade plugs.(US and Canadian standard).
Did you pay custom duties on the items?

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
:D No, all items were released free of duty.

The customs officer did not open and check any boxe.Just viewed the list and asked : " Do you have any thing in the boxes, not included in the list". The list was random and not itemized individually. There was no problem for that.

canadaforall

Champion Member
Aug 11, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30th January 2009
Doc's Request.
February .12 .2009
AOR Received.
30. 08.2009
IELTS Request
no
File Transfer...
Med's Request
march 27th 2012
Med's Done....
5 april 2012
Interview........
waved
Passport Req..
March 27th 2912
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
wilson said:
:D No, all items were released free of duty.

The customs officer did not open and check any boxe.Just viewed the list and asked : " Do you have any thing in the boxes, not included in the list". The list was random and not itemized individually. There was no problem for that

Thanks Wilson.

Mapleland

May 16, 2012
Hi. Any idea if the goods have to be collected by the primary applicant or can my spouse collect/clear the goods?

SAM_2014

Oct 17, 2015
Visa Office......
London (Previous MCH Current BWJ)
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17-07- 2014
Doc's Request.
Sent with application
Nomination.....
14-11- 2014
AOR Received.
------
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
14-11-2014
Med's Request
05-10-2015
Med's Done....
07-10- 2015 Ecas Medical have been received 14-10-2015
Interview........
04-10- 2015 (Updated PCC & FORMS)
Passport Req..
08-02 2016 Alhamdolilah
VISA ISSUED...
Passport submitted 11-02-2016 & received 15-03-2016 Alhamdolilah
LANDED..........
29-04-2016
Any update whats happening now a days for clearence.

Seniors please share your experiences, so that we can plan.