+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any firms hiring through remote process?

prescot

Jul 20, 2015
Well aware of how it is very unlikely to land a job sitting abroad. Despite that, would still like to know if any of the forum members have had experiences going through remote hiring process via skype. Are there any firms that are flexible enough to pursue it? Think of firms that have offshore centres abroad where they could bring in candidates for video con interview. Question pertains to IT industry/ Banking firms with IT divisions. Currently trying to explore and exhaust this option before hunting for job from inland. Thanks

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
I cannot speak to the IT industry but I was successful in doing exactly that. Found a job, got a work permit based on the job, now a citizen.

It is very hard to do, but not impossible. The best advice I can offer you is to try to find a list of potential employers, and call them directly. Speak to the HR manager or department, and ask. I found a fair number of companies were hesitant because there have been issues with foreign employees who made promises they could not keep. However. Make sure that you understand the process that you will have to follow to succeed (including successfully land in Canada). What is your strategy. Be humble and ask nicely. Follow up regularly once you have been given an opportunity to send a resume.

Expect that you will have to land in a place that no canadian wants to live (unless you already have your PR status). Find companies that have locations like that. Small towns in remote and cold places.

I was able to interview using skype, however expect that you will have to travel for physical interviews.

If you are able to succeed, expect it to take time. It took me 3 + months of work to finally get an offer, plus another 6 months to finally get the permit to work in Canada.

Good luck. It is not simple but worth it if you can make it work

prescot

Jul 20, 2015
Thanks for the detailed response and very useful insights. I have the PR in hand and put the status prominently on top of the resume. I will keep looking and take your guidance. Thank you

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
Since you already have PR status, that is 70% of the battle won for sure. Good for you :)

That means you can look for a job anywhere in Canada. One of the most important questions you will likely have to answer is timeline. If you got an offer, how long will it take before you arrive and start. Can you do it in 2 weeks or 2 months. Have a clear timeline for when you are expecting to arrive irrespective. Employers like to hear specifics on that.

In Canada for most resignation is possible with a notice period of 2 weeks. That means most employers will expect you to be available somewhere between 2-4 weeks after offer.

Have some references in hand that can be called. The employers will call your references, even if in foreign country.

If you are confident in your own abilities to land an offer, plan to arrive but preset some interviews. (one more option) This will provide clear timelines for discussions with employers as well. You need to show them you are serious.

Good luck with that. Should be fun

Janakrustagi

May 3, 2016
Hi I'm in a similar situation, where I have received my PPR on 6th Dec and have given my passport for PR Visa and COPR. I will receiving them back this week. I got an ITA so I don't have a job in hand before moving there which is a bit scary since I'll be moving there with my wife and 5 month old daughter.

I have started applying to some jobs from the Job Bank on the CIC site. Is that the right way to go?
I was planning to move there in March but if the employer requires me to move there earlier, I can. Should I move there first and get a job in a month or two and then get my wife and baby over? I know its not impossible to get a job while trying from abroad but its tough. Please share your views and advise.

What are the sites and ways to apply? How can I find the right employer? My experience is in the Retail Marketing, Sales, Management and Merchandising. I have about 2.5 years experience in US, working in sales and marketing with Costco and Walmart, will that help?

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
Since you are not in Canada at the moment, your biggest challenge will be the interview process. What happens if a prospective employer wants to interview you. Normally they would just contact you and set up an appointment with an interviewer. You go and if they like you, you will get an offer.

I do not see any harm in applying through all the usual channels online as some employers might be willing to do the interview remotely, though if you cannot attend in person you may end up getting disqualified.

My best suggestion is to figure out who the employers are that are hiring for the jobs you are qualified for, and then contacting their HR departments directly. Ask them if you could submit your resume and if so, explain your situation. Ask nicely if they might have any options that would meet your situation and timelines.

Hope that helps.

Good luck

prescot

Jul 20, 2015
If you are in US it must be relatively easier. You can try setting up series of interviews and travel for a couple of weeks. I am not sure how well job bank works. Other top sites like workopolis, indeed, company sites should help. To do all this, try and get a Canada number first. You can get a call forwarding number even if you live outside. This is basic. Recruiters may not pursue calling international numbers

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Janakrustagi said:
Hi I'm in a similar situation, where I have received my PPR on 6th Dec and have given my passport for PR Visa and COPR. I will receiving them back this week. I got an ITA so I don't have a job in hand before moving there which is a bit scary since I'll be moving there with my wife and 5 month old daughter.

I have started applying to some jobs from the Job Bank on the CIC site. Is that the right way to go?
I was planning to move there in March but if the employer requires me to move there earlier, I can. Should I move there first and get a job in a month or two and then get my wife and baby over? I know its not impossible to get a job while trying from abroad but its tough. Please share your views and advise.

What are the sites and ways to apply? How can I find the right employer? My experience is in the Retail Marketing, Sales, Management and Merchandising. I have about 2.5 years experience in US, working in sales and marketing with Costco and Walmart, will that help?
Others can comment but you can often read on this forum that job bank is a waste of time and only really serves to fulfill an employers requirement placed on them by CIC. There may be no real jobs behind the positions advertised in the job bank so go for the commercial job agencies like indeed.ca and so on.

Janakrustagi

May 3, 2016
Thanks, guys.
I really appreciate the advise. I will start applying on the commercial sites and get call forwarding setup on a Canada number. Also I agree directly writing mails to company HRs might be effective. Thanks again.
Hopefully all goes well.
:)

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
I thought I might add. A phone call is the best way to initiate contact. Just sending emails randomly will definitely get you in a spam box, and left unread. Once you have made contact with a person, they will probably give you an email address to send your resume to. That creates a connection point that you can follow up and chase.

The other benefit that you get from this in particular is that the people can hear that you actually speak English (or French) well enough to do the job. Especially useful for them to know if you are not Canadian.

I got a job in less than 3 months without status, doing that.

Just saying.

Good luck