+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any experience with medical inadmissibility? What is their limit?

McHoagie

Star Member
Apr 9, 2016
Thank you for the reply.

I contacted a physician and was told that it "will not affect my medical". Whatever exactly that's supposed to mean.

Considering steroids don't show up on blood work unless specifically looked for, I should be okay.
I'm just concerned that they might write this off as a deal breaker.
I just don't like the idea of withholding information regarding anything in the application. It's a tough call.

Linear M

Mar 7, 2017
Canada
Category........
Other
Guys my daughter is 5 and had congenital facial paresis , right side, it has improved a lot since birth and she is perfectly fine , only a slight drooping right cheek, that effects her smile slightly , rest she is perfect, should I worry on the medical ? Or carry her medical record in med day?

Rienrich

Jan 25, 2017
Linear M said:
Guys my daughter is 5 and had congenital facial paresis , right side, it has improved a lot since birth and she is perfectly fine , only a slight drooping right cheek, that effects her smile slightly , rest she is perfect, should I worry on the medical ? Or carry her medical record in med day?
Take the record with you. See if you can't maybe get a report from the Dr that treated your daughter giving the information of the condition and the treatment that she had. I went for my medical this past Saturday and had a short report from my Dr for each past or present condition, be it surgery, prescription meds etc (just to not delay things should they request it later). The Dr will decide which is important to load with your report. Won't hurt to have it with you. You will have to disclose it to the Dr.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Linear M said:
Provided your daughter's condition doesn't require treatment that will exceed the Excessive Demand Threshold, it won't be an issue.

Linear M

Mar 7, 2017
Canada
Category........
Other
Had medical today, my daughter was checked and before they could refer to some other consultant, I shared reports I had , and they asked me to share copies , and that is it, so I feel I will make it through.

LoopyL

Feb 5, 2013
Hi we are due to have medicals soon and need to disclose an incidental mri finding for our son. We were told it's something they often find and not sure if will ever be a clinical issue. Where can I find info on mri costs in Canada for kids?

HEYHEY

May 27, 2017
I don't think such issues reflect your medicals and fall under the inadmissability section.
I have a friend who has diabetes and still passed the medicals.
I, for example, have a slight scoliosis, not visible and not problematic at all since it is really slight. However, it is a side one and it was visible on the x-ray and they wrote it in my medical report. Wasn't an issue at all.
They also wrote "abnormal skin" which got me worried insane. It turned out this was the description of my tattoos and they asked to do hepatitis tests.

First thing they will do if something in your results is disturbing is to arrange more tests. So no need to worry for such tiny issues.
Hi AnnaBG,

Kindly would like to ask if I can somehow private message you.

The reason is that I have a question that you might not wosh to answer.

How much was the angle of your scoliosis, because my wife has as well and would like to check with you.

Kind regards,

luckyhirang

Jul 15, 2015
Manila, Philippines
In the medical exam, a general physical exam is conducted checking any mobility issues, eyesight, general psychological state, and general condition of internal organs.

As regards the blood work, tests are conducted for HIV, Syphilis, glucose. Urinie analysis is also done with a dipstick. A chest x-ray is done for TB. This is pretty much it.

What CIC is trying to look is for any medical condition that would cause unnecessary burden on medical setup or risk to public health. Medical conditions such as TB are a public health concern and will be a sure shot case for denial. However, if a patient has been treated or is undergoing treatment for TB, CIC could consider the case and allow upon satisfying that the disease has been cured.

When it comes to a burden on medical setup, conditions such as HIV or other similar conditions that require periodic medicines or medical care will be a ground for denial. This is not absolute and there have been cases where people have demonstrated that they will not be a burden on the health services. One of the cases that I remember is where an applicant was HIV positive. His application was denied on medical grounds. He challenged the decision in the court and demonstrated that he has private medical insurance that would cover the cost for medicines. He also had an undertaking from a non profit which assured him medicines in Canada free of cost. Based upon this the CIC's denial was turned down and he was granted PR.

But, such a case is a exception and not a norm. Small medical conditions such as hypertension, thyroid etc are not ground for inadmissibility. Challenging a denial on medical grounds is a tough battle and needs specialized lawyers and money. Its is subjective and arbitrary where there are no clear rules.
Hi legalfalcon,

I'm just wondering whether or not included in excessive demands on health or social services is having a congenital leg amputee (Below-the-knee or transtibial)? Though I have a modular leg (artificial leg) since 5 y.o. This isn't a hindrance for me because I am able to do what normal people can do like walking,hiking,biking, and many more. I am also employed since 1998 to present.

Your valuable insight on this.

Thanks and best regards,
Lucky

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi legalfalcon,

I'm just wondering whether or not included in excessive demands on health or social services is having a congenital leg amputee (Below-the-knee or transtibial)? Though I have a modular leg (artificial leg) since 5 y.o. This isn't a hindrance for me because I am able to do what normal people can do like walking,hiking,biking, and many more. I am also employed since 1998 to present.

Thanks and best regards,
Lucky
You should search through Canlii to see if there have been any cases of medical inadmissibility based on being an amputee. As your condition doesn't really require treatment, I think you should be fine.

Reactions: luckyhirang

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi legalfalcon,

Thanks and best regards,
Lucky
Aren't you applying under spousal sponsorship? If so, excessive demand doesn't apply to you - different immigration program, different rules.

If you are applying under spousal sponsorship I would strongly recommend you limit your posts to that section of the forum to ensure the replies you get are accurate. Any replies you receive here will be in the context of economic immigration - not spousal sponsorship.

Reactions: YamPower and jes_ON

Avtar_15

Star Member
Jul 29, 2018
India
Category........
Sorry for upping this thread as I would like to ask question about medical inadmissibility.
Last month I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer (carcinoma papillary). Its a early stage and my doctor said that there's nothing to worry about as the surgery is already scheduled in September. My main concern is is as I want to apply for Canada student visa, after this surgery am I eligible for study permit or do I have to drop my plans of studying in Canada. Please guide me guys as I am very much tensed because of this situation. All help will be highly appreciated.

navinball

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2018
Sorry for upping this thread as I would like to ask question about medical inadmissibility.
Last month I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer (carcinoma papillary). Its a early stage and my doctor said that there's nothing to worry about as the surgery is already scheduled in September. My main concern is is as I want to apply for Canada student visa, after this surgery am I eligible for study permit or do I have to drop my plans of studying in Canada. Please guide me guys as I am very much tensed because of this situation. All help will be highly appreciated.
Cancer and surgery but you are tensed about a study visa? Hope you get well soon.

b_ava

Jan 24, 2019
Hello Everyone,

Is there any one here that had the experience with medical inadmissibility or know someone who has been in this condition? I have sponsored my parents and my mom suffer from MS. However she has been in a stable stage for the last 10 years. Do you know any one who was able to change the decision from inadmissibility to PR? Thanks