+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any changes in PR requirements?

asc456

Nov 12, 2018
Dear All,

I'm currently working in the Gulf and I have a perfect job. However, after receiving the PR and landing in Feb 2019, I've been constantly looking for opportunities in my field but to no avail. And now, pandemic is the number 1 reason for hiring freeze. So given the circumstances and the already good job that I have, is there a possibility that the immigration officers will waive the 2 years in 5 years requirement for PR renewal? By my calculation, I've to move to Canada and start living there by Feb 2022 to make it 2 years in the five years since receiving PR.

Also, do people normally go from job to no job in Canada to fulfill PR requirements?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Dear All,

I'm currently working in the Gulf and I have a perfect job. However, after receiving the PR and landing in Feb 2019, I've been constantly looking for opportunities in my field but to no avail. And now, pandemic is the number 1 reason for hiring freeze. So given the circumstances and the already good job that I have, is there a possibility that the immigration officers will waive the 2 years in 5 years requirement for PR renewal? By my calculation, I've to move to Canada and start living there by Feb 2022 to make it 2 years in the five years since receiving PR.

Also, do people normally go from job to no job in Canada to fulfill PR requirements?
There have been no changes to the residency requirement. You must live in Canada for 2 out of every 5 rolling years to meet the residency obligation. So yes, that would mean you would have to return by February 2022.

Yes, there are people who relocate to Canada with no job to fulfill PR requirements if keeping their PR status is important to them. Ultimately it's your choice of course.

IndianBos

Oct 8, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
19-Jun-2014
Nomination.....
16-Oct-2014
File Transfer...
11-Dec-2014
Med's Request
24-Apr-2015 (Delayed for adding a child)
Med's Done....
9-May-2015 (Updated 29-May-2015)
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
17-Jun-2015 (mailed 29-June-2015)
VISA ISSUED...
11-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
7-Sep-2015
Dear All,

Actually Canada needs people here paying taxes and consuming to propel the economy. Extending your PR without you living in the country is a benefit to you, but not to the country.
Even during pandemic, I don't think there are any rules to change the residency obligation requirement.

Reactions: mashulia_26