+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anxious movers

anjun

Star Member
Jul 2, 2013
Dear members,

We are making the big move back to Canada. My husband did a short landing in 2014 and my family sent his pr card to him. Since then we did not return to Canada. My husband is "worried" that something could affect his ability to travel to Canada. He's not done anything wrong for him to worry but I think it could be anxiety. Is there a way to check the Pr card before we travel just so he can rest assure that he will enter Canada no problems. Also he did his landing in Ontario, we are looking in Calgary. As far as I know Pr card holders can freely travel to any province and then request a address change when that is finalized. Can someone confirm?
Thanks!

RAY2112

Jul 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If your PR still valid you can enter Canada.
And yes can go to any province.

anjun said:
Dear members,

We are making the big move back to Canada. My husband did a short landing in 2014 and my family sent his pr card to him. Since then we did not return to Canada. My husband is "worried" that something could affect his ability to travel to Canada. He's not done anything wrong for him to worry but I think it could be anxiety. Is there a way to check the Pr card before we travel just so he can rest assure that he will enter Canada no problems. Also he did his landing in Ontario, we are looking in Calgary. As far as I know Pr card holders can freely travel to any province and then request a address change when that is finalized. Can someone confirm?
Thanks!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
anjun said:
Dear members,

Thanks!
There is nothing to "check". If the PR card is not expired, then it's fine for entering Canada.

If he's been outside Canada 3 years or more after landing, then he should have proof he still meets the residency obligation by living with a Canadian citizen spouse. So should have a copy of marriage certificate, and if any proof you've been living together while in US (so mail going to same address, any joint bill, etc).

It doesn't matter where you are settling now as PRs are allowed to live anywhere they want in Canada. The only time you'd need to inform CIC of your address is when he applies for PR card renewal.