Med's Done....
30-07-2019
Passport Req..
12-02-2020
VISA ISSUED...
25-02-2020
LANDED..........
13-03-2020
I'm currently here on a Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) valid for one year. I graduated from Centennial College on 03/2018. I'm currently working for an employer full-time.

I was filling out my Express Entry application and noticed the question asking about a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). Most language around this seems to centre around out-of-country applicants who haven't been hired yet.

Could someone please clear up how the LMIA works for someone in my situation, where I'm working on an open work permit that's LMIA-exempt and want to continue working for the same employer after having applied for Express Entry? Do I even need one?

To clarify, I am NOC Type A.

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
I'm currently here on a Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) valid for one year. I graduated from Centennial College on 03/2018. I'm currently working for an employer full-time.

I was filling out my Express Entry application and noticed the question asking about a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). Most language around this seems to centre around out-of-country applicants who haven't been hired yet.

Could someone please clear up how the LMIA works for someone in my situation, where I'm working on an open work permit that's LMIA-exempt and want to continue working for the same employer after having applied for Express Entry? Do I even need one?

Since you are on an OPW you don’t necessarily require a LMIA.
LMIA will come in handy if you need extra points such for valid job offer.
Other then that no need for an LMIA.

Reactions: shannonxtreme

shannonxtreme

Aug 25, 2018
Markham, ON
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Markham
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-06-2019
AOR Received.
22-06-2019
Med's Done....
30-07-2019
Passport Req..
12-02-2020
VISA ISSUED...
25-02-2020
LANDED..........
13-03-2020
Since you are on an OPW you don’t necessarily require a LMIA.
LMIA will come in handy if you need extra points such for valid job offer.
Other then that no need for an LMIA.
Thanks for your reply! So from what I understand, I only need an LMIA to cash in on those extra points for the job offer during my application? And to get one, I'd need to ask my employer to start an application for it, correct?

Does the lack of an LMIA impact my application for PR down the line?

Reactions: bimale4bipeople

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
Thanks for your reply! So from what I understand, I only need an LMIA to cash in on those extra points for the job offer during my application? And to get one, I'd need to ask my employer to start an application for it, correct?

Does the lack of an LMIA impact my application for PR down the line?
- Yes for the first question, because you are already approved to work for any employer in the country provided the employer is offering you the role(in you are already employed)

- No for the second question (neither -vely or +vely)

Reactions: shannonxtreme

shannonxtreme

Aug 25, 2018
Markham, ON
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Markham
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-06-2019
AOR Received.
22-06-2019
Med's Done....
30-07-2019
Passport Req..
12-02-2020
VISA ISSUED...
25-02-2020
LANDED..........
13-03-2020
- Yes for the first question, because you are already approved to work for any employer in the country provided the employer is offering you the role(in you are already employed)

- No for the second question (neither -vely or +vely)
Thank you very much! You cleared up a ton of stress for me.

Reactions: bimale4bipeople

shannonxtreme

Aug 25, 2018
Markham, ON
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Markham
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-06-2019
AOR Received.
22-06-2019
Med's Done....
30-07-2019
Passport Req..
12-02-2020
VISA ISSUED...
25-02-2020
LANDED..........
13-03-2020
Hey did you apply by stating your job offer during your PGWP was an eligible job offer for Express Entry? I thought job offers during a PGWP without an LMIA don't count?

Also when did your study permit expire?
Job offers received while on PGWPs that don't have LMIAs can't be used to get the "Valid Job Offer" extra CRS points. However, work experience while on a PGWP (or any open work permit) can be used to get points for "Canadian Work Experience", even if there isn't an LMIA.

Basically, the only reason you'd get an LMIA for a job while you're on an open work permit like the PGWP is to claim those extra points for a "valid" job offer. I didn't need the extra points so I didn't!

My study permit technically expires August 30, 2020. I originally came here for a four year BEng, but switched to a one year postgrad in college. They never reduced the time on my study permit though so it was still valid for four years. Doesn't matter now since I got PR but yeah.

Koleso

Mar 31, 2021

Hello, I am in the same situation as you. I am on a PGWP for 1 year from Centennial College. If I find a full time job on my NOC type B, is it possible to get PNP after that?