+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Another Successful Conjugal Sponsorship Application!

elkan

Star Member
Sep 6, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-09-2010
AOR Received.
23-11-2010
Passport Req..
13-05-2011
This is just a post for all of you out there who are in need of a positive story. Today, my boyfriend got an email from Buffalo requesting his passport. Here is our timeline:

We met online in May 2009, we are a heterosexual couple. I am Canadian born and my boyfriend is American, no barrier to immigration, and no plans to get married.
Submitted our application September 2010.
Buffalo began processing our application November 2010.
Sent additional documents (voluntarily): January 2011.
Passport Request: Friday May 13, 2011.... not bad for what's known to be a day of bad luck!

No update on ecas about decision made.

The only communication we received from Buffalo was the AOR.

I'll admit, I was extremely anxious about our application and was expecting a refusal. The only barrier to immigration that we had was the hassle of crossing the border each time, and one Visitor Record being issued because he did not have significant ties to the US. I was also nervous about the application because we applied 16 months after meeting. I thought that if we were refused, it would be that they believe we were a genuine couple, but that we were not in a "marriage like" relationship for an entire year. We provided as much evidence as possible to refute that, including life insurance policies, last will & testament, pension plan beneficiary designations, joint credit card statements, skype chat logs, conversations via email about apartments with 6 month leases in Toronto, emails about buying furniture and applicances, pictures, flight itineraries, pictures (including ones with my entire extended family in Mexico for a wedding), letters of support from friends, family, and work colleagues.... just to name a few. ;)

The one regret we had: paying $1500 for an immigration consultant to proofread our application and send it off. We did all the work.

My boyfriend is in the US right now, but is expecting to drive to Buffalo to "land" in the next 2 weeks. We are absolutely thrilled and will be celebrating with our families tonight (sadly... not together yet)

So, if any of you are out there I hope this gives you some encouragement. I know reading Allison & Kerrianne's successful stories made me feel so much better. Conjugal Sponsorship is not a guaranteed refusal. If you are genuine, have the evidence, and you go by the OP 2 manual when putting together your application, you can create a very strong case.

Good luck to all of you!

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
CONGRATS, Elkan! I am so delighted to receive your PM today; it MADE my day!!

I know it is a big relief to have that email in hand. You must be jumping up and down, crying and laughing all at the same time. I'm so happy for you. All the best to you and your guy.

Allison

Rnn007

Nov 8, 2010
CONGRATULATIONS! Thank you SO much for that story - really, it's very encouraging, we're days away from sending our application under common-law, so it's great to hear about success stories!

Hope you don't mind asking a quick question, but, you said "Sent additional documents (voluntarily): January 2011."
Was that just supporting evidence of your relationship? We have some stuff we are waiting on that isn't 'essential' - it's not in the document checklist, and we have a fair amount as evidence of our relationship. but it's stuff that will help the application (can't hurt, at least!). But the police certificate is getting older day by day, we're running out of time. So I was thinking of sending off everything we have, and then sending the 2 extra pieces of proof when we could.

May I ask what the additional documents were?

Thanks for your time, and once again, CONGRATULATIONS :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Brilliant!!! Congrats!!!

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Elkan, How was landing and where are you living now?

elkan

Star Member
Sep 6, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-09-2010
AOR Received.
23-11-2010
Passport Req..
13-05-2011
Hi Allison!
Sorry for the late response, we have been traveling to Europe / back to the US over the summer. We're currently in Mississsauga. My boyfriend's landing went very smooth, no trouble at all. He listed his vehicle as part of his "goods" while landing, but hasn't exported if from the US yet (we're still thinking of selling his vehicle). He didn't get all the bells and whistles when he got to the border with his paper work, but as soon as they found out he was "landing" they immediately changed their tone, and were very friendly. The first thing he did when he crossed the border was apply for his SIN number. The only struggle he's had now is finding employment, so we're just working on networking right now. In Septemeber, he'll be able to apply for his Health Card, and then find an oncologist here in the Mississauga area for his follow up appointments.

We now await for his Permanent Residency card. He checks the mail daily, but alas... it has not come yet. Even without his PR card, we've had no problem at all crossing the border. We crossed the border last week in Sarnia, and they said "Welcome home" to both of us. It was the smoothest border crossing in years! Felt great!

Sometimes we're just sitting around, and we chuckle in disbelief that it actually "happened" and he's here.

elkan

Star Member
Sep 6, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-09-2010
AOR Received.
23-11-2010
Passport Req..
13-05-2011
Rnn007 said:
May I ask what the additional documents were?
He's from the US, and though it wasn't mandatory we sent state police checks from every state he's lived in. I sent a copy of my last will & testament. I sent a personal letter informing them of a major change in our lives (my partner was diagnosed with cancer two months after we applied) and we had to make some decisions about starting a family in the future and banked his sperm, so there were forms related to that that we showed them as evidence. I had just moved to a new place a couple of months after applying, and my boyfriend had to help my financially with some bills, so we sent copies of our bank statements showing the transfer of funds. And I think that was it. We received no acknowledgment that they received it, they never requested anything.

I know you may have already sent your application, (sorry for the late response, we have been traveling) but I hope this helps! All the best!

chessnut1087

Jan 30, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-04-2014
I have a few questions:

1) What did you tell them as to why you two did not just get married (that question annoys me because rushing marriage to get immigration is awful)
2) what did you tell them as to the "barrier" that you could/would not move to canada?

thanks!!!

yuki.017

Oct 22, 2018
This is just a post for all of you out there who are in need of a positive story. Today, my boyfriend got an email from Buffalo requesting his passport. Here is our timeline:

We met online in May 2009, we are a heterosexual couple. I am Canadian born and my boyfriend is American, no barrier to immigration, and no plans to get married.
Submitted our application September 2010.
Buffalo began processing our application November 2010.
Sent additional documents (voluntarily): January 2011.
Passport Request: Friday May 13, 2011.... not bad for what's known to be a day of bad luck!

No update on ecas about decision made.

The only communication we received from Buffalo was the AOR.

I'll admit, I was extremely anxious about our application and was expecting a refusal. The only barrier to immigration that we had was the hassle of crossing the border each time, and one Visitor Record being issued because he did not have significant ties to the US. I was also nervous about the application because we applied 16 months after meeting. I thought that if we were refused, it would be that they believe we were a genuine couple, but that we were not in a "marriage like" relationship for an entire year. We provided as much evidence as possible to refute that, including life insurance policies, last will & testament, pension plan beneficiary designations, joint credit card statements, skype chat logs, conversations via email about apartments with 6 month leases in Toronto, emails about buying furniture and applicances, pictures, flight itineraries, pictures (including ones with my entire extended family in Mexico for a wedding), letters of support from friends, family, and work colleagues.... just to name a few. ;)

The one regret we had: paying $1500 for an immigration consultant to proofread our application and send it off. We did all the work.

My boyfriend is in the US right now, but is expecting to drive to Buffalo to "land" in the next 2 weeks. We are absolutely thrilled and will be celebrating with our families tonight (sadly... not together yet)

So, if any of you are out there I hope this gives you some encouragement. I know reading Allison & Kerrianne's successful stories made me feel so much better. Conjugal Sponsorship is not a guaranteed refusal. If you are genuine, have the evidence, and you go by the OP 2 manual when putting together your application, you can create a very strong case.

Good luck to all of you!
How did you prove that you are in a conjugal considering you have no plans to get married and no immigration barriers?

Reactions: canuck78