Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
20-03-2014
Med's Done....
11-03-2013
Hi!

I'm a Canadian citizen. I sponsored my Korean wife for permanent residency, from Korea (where we had been living since 2011), and we all (her and I and our two sons) landed and settled in Canada this past May. We could really use that CCTB money, but man, the information on the gov't site is giving me a headache. Help! I'm looking for 'first steps' kind of advice. Here's some relevant info.:

• my taxes are all up to date (I continued to list my parents' home in ON as my permanent res. on tax returns 2011-2014)
  • I was a househusband in Korea, but am now the primary earner (low income, though)
  • my tax returns were filed with a zero income for that period (including 2014)
  • I have citizenship certificates for both my sons (3 years and 1 year old)

So....here's where it gets tricky. When we apply for CCTB, should I list myself as the primary caregiver (I'm not, really)? I thought this would be easier because my taxes are up to date, whereas my wife has never filed a Cdn. tax return, obviously. However, after some reading, I'm beginning to think that might not be so easy. CCRA usually gives the benefit in the mother's name. That's fine. But how will they calculate what we're entitled to? Will they ask for translated and notarized tax records from Korea? Also, proof of birth for the children IN ADDITION to citizenship certificates? It not only seems redundant, but it's something else we'll need translated and notarized, etc.

Confused and looking for some direction...

Thanks a million!

Ken

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Don't overthink this ;).

Apply in your name, following the instructions.

If CRA needs further information/documentation, they will tell you exactly what you need to send.