+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anonymous Call

rajibsam

Jul 29, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi All,

I would like to share my experience regarding a call I got yesterday.

Caller: I am calling from CIC located in Ottawa. May I speak to rajibsam
rajibsam: Yes speaking (not sure why getting call from CIC ::) )
Caller: Before we proceed I would like to inform you that this call is being recorded and this call should not get disconnected. If this call is disconnected then the recorded message will automatically be sent to Legal and deportation team.
rajibsam: Ok. What this call is regarding? ( Deportation team :eek: )
Caller: You have to fly back to India within two weeks and would have to complete your visa application.
rajibsam: What?? ( :eek: :eek: )
Caller: Let me confirm your identity - you are rajibsam and your date of birth is XX. Your country of origin is India. ( Information all correct :'( - No chance of identity mismatch)
rajibsam: Yes
Caller: You are in Canada on Work Permit and recently your application is processed
rajibsam: Not recently, last year.
Caller: Yes, but we received your file recently from Canadian High commission in India that your application isn't complete. CIO form is missing. This is very serious matter and without this form you can't stay here. You have to go back to India and complete the form.
rajibsam: What is this CIO form?
Caller: CIO is Citizen of Indian Origin. This is a form to validate if you are legally entitled to work in Canada. This form is required by Indian and other south asian citizens to work in Canada.
rajibsam: But I have valid work permit and I have Indian passport as proof of Indian Citizen.
Caller: Yes, but CIO form is mandatory and without this you can't stay in Canada.
rajibsam: I am here with my family, I can't go back within two weeks, can't I submit it from Canada?
Caller: No its not possible. But we can appoint lawyer on your behalf in India who can submit it to Canadian High commission. How would you like to complete this process - Go back to India or do it through lawyer? If you dont do it then your application will be sent to Legal and deportation team and you would have to leave Canada within two weeks.
rajibsam: Ok, I would like to do it through lawyers. Please give me more information.
Caller: Ok, I will forward this call to Legal team who would elaborate you on the process. Dont get disconnected.
rajibsam: Ok (Dont know whats happening ??? )
**After 2 mins of waiting on the call **
New Caller: May I speak to rajibsam
rajibsam: Yes, speaking.
New Caller: Please confirm your passport number.
rajibsam: My passport no XXX
New Caller: Ok, it matches our record.
rajibsam: I am confused regarding this call. Can you please explain why I am getting this call?
New Caller: You didnt submit CIO form when you applied for Work Permit, this is very serious matter. We received your application from Canadian High commission in India. You have to go back to India and complete the process. This form is important to validate if you are legally working in Canada. As you are aware that many people work full time on part time work permits, hence, canadian govt has made this form mandatory to ensure only people with legal permit work here.
rajibsam: But I have legal full time open work permit.
New Caller: I am not talking about you, you are legal we know. I was talking about general people who do fraudulent activities.
rajibsam: Ok. Can't I fill CIO form here in Canada. I am here with my family. My wife is studying, I can't leave immediately.
New Caller: No you can't. You have to do it through lawyers.
rajibsam: Ok. Tell me the process.
New Caller: The charge for this process is CAD 725. You have to go to the nearest Canada Post and make a payment.
rajibsam: To whom?
New Caller: To Canadian High Commission in India. With the receipt we will proceed further. Where is your nearest Canada Post?
rajibsam: Dont know. I have to check. (But now I got suspecious, this can't be a govt process)
New Caller: Legal team wants you to complete this process today.
rajibsam: I dont have 725 dollar with me now. I need one week of time. And moreover I am planning for a vacation in India, I may do it myself in India.
New Caller: Ok. Then your application will be forwarded to Legal team. You will get a call shortly.
rajibsam: Ok. ( Call disconnected. At this time I was pretty sure this is a fake call and someone/group is trying to con me)

But I did some mistakes:
1. I should not have revealed my passport information :mad: . But I was nervous and didnt know whats happening at that time. Moreover I am not so knowledgeable about legal matters.
2. I should have noticed the numbers from where I got call. The numbers are 666-755-3179 (I missed the call) and 907880824959 (conversation tool place in this number). Later I searched on these numbers and got to know that 666 is a non existent area code in north america and it could be used for masking numbers. 90 is country code of turkey.

Why I got confused:
1. I got little time to think. Caller1 started the conversation with deportation and I was under pressure.
2. I was in back foot since there is a possibility that we miss some form when we apply for visa. I didn't remember what all forms are required for work permit.
3. Caller1 was speaking in pure North American accent and was speaking in a way that I have done some big mistake

Purpose of this post: Most of you may be like me - on some kind of visa - and may be not aware of various kind of forms required for visa (or may not be on top of the mind!). Hence, be alert if you get a call like this. This seems to be an international gang trying to con people and I may not be the only person getting this call. If you get call like this atleast you should be informed.

Thanks and regards,
Rajib Samanta

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Wow. Definitely some kind of scam. There is definitely zero chance this call came from CIC.

Next time they call ask for a contact name and phone number. If they refused, tell them you are recording the call as well and will be contacting the police. This should stop the calls.

Johnny31

VIP Member
Dec 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So they had your name, DOB, and country of origin...scary!

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
I wouldn't put this down to friends pranking. There have been other threads discussing these calls. One was something like "Fake immigration". You may want to call CIC and make a formal report with the phone numbers you recorded. It is great that you have shared this with others so they will be better prepared if they are recipients of similar calls. Good luck.

Johnny31

VIP Member
Dec 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Regina said:
Look around, rajibsam . It is obviously your "friends", somebody who is close to you or to your circle of relatives and friends.
I don't know - I haven't seen many immigration pranks going around. Not really the "it" thing to do in 2014.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
This is a scam and it is already being documented/followed here -> http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t173539.0.html
Please add your experiences to that thread so that everybody can be kept in the loop.

Cha2

Star Member
Mar 25, 2014
rajibsam said:
Hi All,

I would like to share my experience regarding a call I got yesterday.

Caller: I am calling from CIC located in Ottawa. May I speak to rajibsam
rajibsam: Yes speaking (not sure why getting call from CIC ::) )
Caller: Before we proceed I would like to inform you that this call is being recorded and this call should not get disconnected. If this call is disconnected then the recorded message will automatically be sent to Legal and deportation team.
rajibsam: Ok. What this call is regarding? ( Deportation team :eek: )
Caller: You have to fly back to India within two weeks and would have to complete your visa application.
rajibsam: What?? ( :eek: :eek: )
Caller: Let me confirm your identity - you are rajibsam and your date of birth is XX. Your country of origin is India. ( Information all correct :'( - No chance of identity mismatch)
rajibsam: Yes
Caller: You are in Canada on Work Permit and recently your application is processed
rajibsam: Not recently, last year.
Caller: Yes, but we received your file recently from Canadian High commission in India that your application isn't complete. CIO form is missing. This is very serious matter and without this form you can't stay here. You have to go back to India and complete the form.
rajibsam: What is this CIO form?
Caller: CIO is Citizen of Indian Origin. This is a form to validate if you are legally entitled to work in Canada. This form is required by Indian and other south asian citizens to work in Canada.
rajibsam: But I have valid work permit and I have Indian passport as proof of Indian Citizen.
Caller: Yes, but CIO form is mandatory and without this you can't stay in Canada.
rajibsam: I am here with my family, I can't go back within two weeks, can't I submit it from Canada?
Caller: No its not possible. But we can appoint lawyer on your behalf in India who can submit it to Canadian High commission. How would you like to complete this process - Go back to India or do it through lawyer? If you dont do it then your application will be sent to Legal and deportation team and you would have to leave Canada within two weeks.
rajibsam: Ok, I would like to do it through lawyers. Please give me more information.
Caller: Ok, I will forward this call to Legal team who would elaborate you on the process. Dont get disconnected.
rajibsam: Ok (Dont know whats happening ??? )
**After 2 mins of waiting on the call **
New Caller: May I speak to rajibsam
rajibsam: Yes, speaking.
New Caller: Please confirm your passport number.
rajibsam: My passport no XXX
New Caller: Ok, it matches our record.
rajibsam: I am confused regarding this call. Can you please explain why I am getting this call?
New Caller: You didnt submit CIO form when you applied for Work Permit, this is very serious matter. We received your application from Canadian High commission in India. You have to go back to India and complete the process. This form is important to validate if you are legally working in Canada. As you are aware that many people work full time on part time work permits, hence, canadian govt has made this form mandatory to ensure only people with legal permit work here.
rajibsam: But I have legal full time open work permit.
New Caller: I am not talking about you, you are legal we know. I was talking about general people who do fraudulent activities.
rajibsam: Ok. Can't I fill CIO form here in Canada. I am here with my family. My wife is studying, I can't leave immediately.
New Caller: No you can't. You have to do it through lawyers.
rajibsam: Ok. Tell me the process.
New Caller: The charge for this process is CAD 725. You have to go to the nearest Canada Post and make a payment.
rajibsam: To whom?
New Caller: To Canadian High Commission in India. With the receipt we will proceed further. Where is your nearest Canada Post?
rajibsam: Dont know. I have to check. (But now I got suspecious, this can't be a govt process)
New Caller: Legal team wants you to complete this process today.
rajibsam: I dont have 725 dollar with me now. I need one week of time. And moreover I am planning for a vacation in India, I may do it myself in India.
New Caller: Ok. Then your application will be forwarded to Legal team. You will get a call shortly.
rajibsam: Ok. ( Call disconnected. At this time I was pretty sure this is a fake call and someone/group is trying to con me)

But I did some mistakes:
1. I should not have revealed my passport information :mad: . But I was nervous and didnt know whats happening at that time. Moreover I am not so knowledgeable about legal matters.
2. I should have noticed the numbers from where I got call. The numbers are 666-755-3179 (I missed the call) and 907880824959 (conversation tool place in this number). Later I searched on these numbers and got to know that 666 is a non existent area code in north america and it could be used for masking numbers. 90 is country code of turkey.

Why I got confused:
1. I got little time to think. Caller1 started the conversation with deportation and I was under pressure.
2. I was in back foot since there is a possibility that we miss some form when we apply for visa. I didn't remember what all forms are required for work permit.
3. Caller1 was speaking in pure North American accent and was speaking in a way that I have done some big mistake

Purpose of this post: Most of you may be like me - on some kind of visa - and may be not aware of various kind of forms required for visa (or may not be on top of the mind!). Hence, be alert if you get a call like this. This seems to be an international gang trying to con people and I may not be the only person getting this call. If you get call like this atleast you should be informed.

Thanks and regards,
Rajib Samanta
Yes, It is a scam. You are definitely not alone. See thread below... The good thing is that you have not given them any money. When they call again - tell them you are recording the call and will hand it over to the police.

See the thread of those who have had similar experiences. You might want to copy and paste your own story and include it on this thread so that more people will be aware that these "scammers" are still on the loose.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/fake-canadian-immigration-team-t173539.90.html

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
rajibsam said:
Thanks. I posted this in the fake immigration thread.
I would ask for the employee number and name too and then report it to the CIC. Thanks for information.

J.M.

Star Member
Jan 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As noted, it is indeed a scam. The Canadian visa officers will not ask you to deposit or transfer money through any means other than as designated on official forms, and the fees are standard throughout all visa offices in CAD, so these are indicators of fraudulent immigration calls. Also, they will not threaten deportation over the phone. If the government truly wishes to deport you, they will most assuredly notify you in person, and possibly confiscate your travel documents while giving you a time and date for a deportation hearing. Same goes for threats of arrest. If you truly are wanted already, the police will come find you and arrest you. They won't call you and demand that you give them money.