+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Annual Salary Plus Benefits under the Employment Reference Letter?

damien86

Star Member
Jan 5, 2016
Hi everyone,

I have the following questions regarding the employment reference letter. I would be grateful if anyone could help.

1. The instructions for proof of work mention "annual salary plus benefits". So the employment reference letter should contain information regarding the latest salary of a breakdown of every promotion? Also what exactly is meant by benefits? What do the Canadian officers want to see in the employment reference letter in this regard?

2. Do I need to provide an extra document showing what my employer paid to me? Like an offical list of Social Security payments list?

3. I've had a work exchange. That means I was employed by a company, but sent to secondment to another country for a fixed term while my principal employer continued to pay my salary. I am planning to mention this in my letter of explanation. But I am not sure if I should also get a reference letter from the second company, because I was there like a visiting employee and I was not getting any salary. Any thoughts?

Many thanks in advance!

thatguy56

Sep 10, 2015
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-10-2015
AOR Received.
27-10-2015
Med's Done....
21-09-2015
Keep your letter simple. Mention the Annual Salary and the benefits (in a succinct manner, like Travel Allowance, Health Insurance and whatever you might have) in the letter. Ask your employer to mention that during your job you were sent to other companies as part of your job description. That should suffice. Also, be descriptive of your job description - your roles and responsibilities, on the reference letter so that the VO can get a better picture.

damien86

Star Member
Jan 5, 2016
thatguy56 said:
Keep your letter simple. Mention the Annual Salary and the benefits (in a succinct manner, like Travel Allowance, Health Insurance and whatever you might have) in the letter. Ask your employer to mention that during your job you were sent to other companies as part of your job description. That should suffice. Also, be descriptive of your job description - your roles and responsibilities, on the reference letter so that the VO can get a better picture.
thank you! any other comments?

eris

Jun 29, 2019
Philippines
Hi, I'd just like to ask what you ended up writing in the benefits portion? My company wants me to clarify if "benefits" means cash allowances or company benefits like number of hours of leave, medical coverage and so forth, since they do not want to make any more corrections.

hodari

Mar 28, 2018
Quebec
In my reference letter, my company just put "Current monthly salary (including benefits): $xxx". I got PR with no issues.
Benefits here means any monetary allowance on top of your base salary - like bonuses and travel/accommodation allowances.

eris

Jun 29, 2019
Philippines
In my reference letter, my company just put "Current monthly salary (including benefits): $xxx". I got PR with no issues.
Benefits here means any monetary allowance on top of your base salary - like bonuses and travel/accommodation allowances.
thanks so much!

yoshitaas

Star Member
Jun 24, 2020
Hi, So did your employer mention any benefits in details? Mine has just written "standard corporate benefits".

amyung

Star Member
Oct 12, 2019
Same as hodari, my letter mentioned just "annual salary including benefits is $000 and there wasn't any issue. They don't need to know all the benefits that you receive and each company can have "benefits" differently.
@yoshitaas that should be fine

yoshitaas

Star Member
Jun 24, 2020
Same as hodari, my letter mentioned just "annual salary including benefits is $000 and there wasn't any issue. They don't need to know all the benefits that you receive and each company can have "benefits" differently.
@yoshitaas that should be fine
Hi, Thanks. Also, for the employment periods, did your letters mention anything like (inclusive of both dates), in the letter? Or was it just from <date> to <date>? Please guide.
Thank you

hodari

Mar 28, 2018
Quebec
Hi, Thanks. Also, for the employment periods, did your letters mention anything like (inclusive of both dates), in the letter? Or was it just from <date> to <date>? Please guide.
Thank you
Don't sweat such small details man. Relax.

For the benefits part trust me IRCC doesn't care how much you earn as long as it's paid experience. Whether it's minimum wage with no benefits or CEO with millions in bonuses, as long as it's paid and full-time experience - so make sure the letter states your hours per week or at least explicitly states full-time.

And for the dates, the same dates will be mentioned in the work history section of your application anyway, which are inclusive.

yoshitaas

Star Member
Jun 24, 2020

For the benefits part trust me IRCC doesn't care how much you earn as long as it's paid experience. Whether it's minimum wage with no benefits or CEO with millions in bonuses, as long as it's paid and full-time experience - so make sure the letter states your hours per week or at least explicitly states full-time.

And for the dates, the same dates will be mentioned in the work history section of your application anyway, which are inclusive.
Hi,
Thanks. I am not worried about the benefits part. One of my jobs is part time, but it just mentions the number of hours, not full time or part time.It has mentioned average number of hours per week, and average salary per week.

Hi
Thanks
My doubt about benefits eas cleared. It is mainly about the hours. One of my jobs was part time? And it mentions average hours per week and average salary per week, and hourly. It does not mention full time or part time. Other jobs do.

hodari

Mar 28, 2018
Quebec
My doubt about benefits eas cleared. It is mainly about the hours. One of my jobs was part time? And it mentions average hours per week and average salary per week, and hourly. It does not mention full time or part time. Other jobs do.
Do you need this part-time job for points?