+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Annual salary on reference letter- how to calculate from changing gross salary

tokyo_123

Nov 28, 2018
Hello all,

My previous employer has mentioned the gross monthly income on my letter. Would this be okay? I have read at many places that one should try to get annual income written.

My second related question is, since I want to first try to convince them to do this, how should I calculate this annual income? My gross monthly salary was different in the first two months while on probation, then increased, and then increased again a month before I left the organization. Should I use the last month's gross salary and multiply that by 12? I need to suggest an amount to my HR hence I am asking this.

Thirdly, if HR does agree to write annual salary on the letter, will I need to provide any further proof along with the letter such as pay slips or salary certificate? Or the fact that its on the letter would be enough?

Appreciate your help!

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
HR should be able to calculate your annual salary no problem. I would get them to do that. Showing a monthly income looks like you are not permanent in my opinion.

tokyo_123

Nov 28, 2018
Okay and if they do agree to do that, will I have to provide any supporting documents still like salary certificates or pay slips?

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
Pay slips. It's not really a fact of if they agree to it or not. You should always have a letter or documentation with your top line on it.

Kriff

Apr 21, 2019
Please I fit into that situation as well. How were you able to go about it? I worked in a small firm, so no HR. Thank you.

Kriff

Apr 21, 2019
Please how is the annual gross salary calculated? Do they add all the monthly salaries together for a total of one year?

tokyo_123

Nov 28, 2018
Yes. I reported the annual gross salary so that's just the addition of all monthly salaries. If you are reporting annual net salary that would be your total years monthly salaries minus any taxes paid. I went with annual gross salary cause that's what the finance Department reported on my salary certificate/pay slips. So make sure you check what supporting documents you are providing along with the employment letter

Reactions: Kriff

Kriff

Apr 21, 2019
Alright. Great. I will work with annual gross salary and add payslips. We had a similar issue as well as regard transfer between sister companies. Please can I private chat you to show you my reference letter and LOE? Thank you.