App. Filed.......
June 13th
File Transfer...
June 16th
Med's Done....
Pre-med: June 12th
VISA ISSUED...
July 1st
30th august. BOM-FRANKFURT-TORONTO-CALGARY. Hope we'll meet there.

aparna.bhardwaj

Star Member
Jun 22, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Mumbai
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-06-2014
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
27-06-2014
Med's Request
11-07-2014
Med's Done....
16-07-2014
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
26-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2014
LANDED..........
28-08-2014
spencer1 said:
30th august. BOM-FRANKFURT-TORONTO-CALGARY. Hope we'll meet there.
Oh Cool!! To Univ of Calgary right? I suppose you are going for an undergrad course? Surely, we'll meet. :)

loginbits12

Star Member
May 13, 2014
aparna.bhardwaj said:
Hello All!
I am elated to receive the stamped passport in my hand today almost after a month. My experience is same like all other applicants who ‘in the process of visa' might have encountered feelings of anxiety, nervousness on having missed some documents, the uncertainty in applications and so on...
I would like to start with my profile first to roughly give an idea to students who wish to know with what background I got through!
1. RF Design Engineer(2011 to present):Department of Research and Development for design of RF High power amplifiers for Defence and Telecom applications
2. Master of Science in Physics, specialization in Electronics):72% aggregate: First class with distinction
3. Bachelor of Science in Physics): 76% aggregate: First Class with distinction

How I got through the University?
I applied to two Universities last year in December:
1. U of Waterloo, got rejected as the professor never got back to me and acceptance by the professor is the condition for acceptance in the University.
2. U of Calgary: I got accepted here for Masters! Well not in first shot!! I was initially rejected by the Department of ECE in May as my pure science background did not appeal to them.
YES, it was disheartening to receive rejections after 6 months of waiting period from both the places. With TOEFL expiring in June, it became another matter of concern as I would have to reappear if rejected!
After having sent many mails to one of my prospective supervisors in Calgary who has done enormous research in my area, I heard from him and I was interviewed and gave a presentation towards the end of May. I finally received an unconditional offer letter on June 5 with full funding!!
Visa Process:
I applied at VFS Mumbai with these documents without upfront medical test on June 26, 2014.
Main Documents:
1. Student Permit Application Form
2. Student Permit Questionnaire
3. Family Info
4. VFS University Study Permit Checklist
5. VFS Consent form
6. Colour Printout of Letter of Acceptance
7. Original passport
8. 2 photos
Education Documents:
Only Transcripts of Master's degree and Bachelor's degree. I did not submit any marksheets or degree certificates. My original docs were with a Univ here as I was about to take admission here if Canada didn't happen.
When I received my originals, I sent photocopies of my mark sheets(non-notarized!!) of all years on July 11, 2014 in the second slot as ‘additional education documents' even though I wasn't asked to. Prior to sending hard copies, I had sent scanned copies to intimate them.

Covering Letters:
My letter was not an SOP because there were hardly 3-4 lines on my purpose of study. It was more of a short request letter for visa. I will be copying pasting the exact letter in the following message for reference. I had not submitted any SOP per say.
Another was a covering letter from my father who over n above my assistantship funds and my own savings would be my primary financial support!

Medical Request:
I received a mail to proceed with tests on July 11,2014, 2 hours after I visited VFS to submit my mark sheets implying that probably my transcripts sufficed, if we go by the positive sign of a medical call.

Financial Documents:
Bank statements and certificates of self and father's.
Offer Letter indicating unconditional acceptance with teaching assistantship for two years
I had shown almost 75k $ of which, I have received 42k $ as fundings.

Additional document:
One business license document of father's company proving his established business in Mumbai.( I still don't know why I submitted it. Hehehe.. :D )

NO EXPERIENCE LETTER, NO PAY SLIPS, NO FORM 16, NO NOTARIZED DOCUMENTS!
After being given a second chance for admit, I know how important was this last crucial step of Visa for me. Call it destiny, but even with not so loaded bunch of documents and docs which don't completely satisfy the ‘strongly recommended' criteria, I am through! I too come in those cases where my previous studies is not related to the course I applied for.
This post IS NOT to guide you but to just share my experience which could be similar to many cases here! This FORUM is doing a great job to help people and I am cent percent sure that even a consultant will not be able to provide the kind of information you get here.
I joined this forum after I applied, wish I did this before! I still thank you all for answering my questions to calm my anxiety. :) Would be now more than willing to help after all this experience. Good luck to all of you.! Would like to give a word of advice that PATIENCE IS THE KEY! If you are a genuine student with no fake documents, no one can stop you from pursuing your dreams!

(I am flying to Calgary on 28 August with Lufthansa: BOM->FRA->MONTREAL->CALGARY. It is a pre-visa booked ticket)
hi aprna congratulation on u r visa. please can you send me ur sop as my profile is similar to yours. thank you

aparna.bhardwaj

Star Member
Jun 22, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Mumbai
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-06-2014
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
27-06-2014
Med's Request
11-07-2014
Med's Done....
16-07-2014
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
26-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2014
LANDED..........
28-08-2014
As promised in my first message of this thread that I would post my SOP , I had completely forgotten about it. This IS NOT AN SOP but a simple request letter which worked for me. It MAY OR MAY NOT work for others. It completely depends on the other documents which are a strong part of the application package(like maybe for me, the offered TA was the highlighting factor). Kindly DO NOT copy-paste as it would differ from one individual to another.

APARNA BHARDWAJ
(Contact Address)

June 26, 2014

The Canadian High Commission
7/8 Shantipath, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi 110 021, India

Sub: Request for Study Permit of Canada
Dear Visa Officer,

I am very pleased to have been accepted as a full time Master's student in one of the prestigious U15 Member University in Canada, University of Calgary in the Schulich School of Engineering. I have been registered for the course, Master of Science in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, beginning on September 01, 2014 with complete funding in the form of Teaching Assistantship for two years by University of Calgary. This amount covers my tuition, stay and boarding for two years and the course duration is maximum of four years. My intended field of specialization is RF and Microwave Engineering. I believe, good academic credentials followed by an intensive research-oriented work in the same field for over two years has given me an opportunity to gain further knowledge through advanced studies. I am currently working as an RF Design Engineer in ____________, Mumbai, India.

I would also like to inform you that my entire family resides in India because of my father's well established business in Mumbai, India. My family includes my parents and siblings.

Regarding my financial situation to support myself in Canada, I have made some estimates (based on information provided on www.cic.gc.ca) and I believe, available funds are sufficient for a single person's stay in Calgary. Although, I have additional funds in my personal account earned through my job and savings , my Father Mr. B.C. Bhardwaj has over and above this, granted me a substantial amount as a backup for any other expenses I may incur in Canada and will be willing to do so even in the future. I am giving a summary of the total funds available with me followed by a covering letter from my father indicating his willingness to be my primary financial support to bear any additional considerable expense in case of emergency.

I hope that the documents and proof produced in this application shall serve my primary purpose of pursuing higher education in one of the most research intensive universities of Canada within the stipulated time. Also if need be, I shall be willing to produce any additional document(s) as requested by you.

I will be obliged if you can grant me the student permit timely prior to the start of session, September 1,2014 to make myself familiar with the place and complete the formalities as an International student. I thank you for your time and consideration and look forward to hear from you soon.

Yours Sincerely,
APARNA BHARDWAJ
(Sign)

spencer1

May 12, 2014
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 13th
File Transfer...
June 16th
Med's Done....
VISA ISSUED...
July 1st
aparna.bhardwaj said:
Oh Cool!! To Univ of Calgary right? I suppose you are going for an undergrad course? Surely, we'll meet. :)
Yeah. Where are you staying btw?

aparna.bhardwaj

Star Member
Jun 22, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Mumbai
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-06-2014
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
27-06-2014
Med's Request
11-07-2014
Med's Done....
16-07-2014
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
26-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2014
LANDED..........
28-08-2014
spencer1 said:
Yeah. Where are you staying btw?
I'll be putting up in Patrician Village with two Indian girls. 10 mins walk to the University. Had 75 as my WL number in Univ accommodation. What about you?

spencer1

May 12, 2014
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 13th
File Transfer...
June 16th
Med's Done....
VISA ISSUED...
July 1st
aparna.bhardwaj said:
I'll be putting up in Patrician Village with two Indian girls. 10 mins walk to the University. Had 75 as my WL number in Univ accommodation. What about you?
I was assigned a room in Univ residence but I cancelled it. Now I'll be staying as a paying guest at sherwood blvd, N.W. Its nearly half an hour far. But as it is an Indian family, I have no issues and is convenient.