+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

And another thing.....

Stu

Mar 27, 2006
Discovered today that living in Canada as a work permit holder bars you from having a mobile phone; they are for Citizens and Permanent Residents only.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Stu said:
Discovered today that living in Canada as a work permit holder bars you from having a mobile phone; they are for Citizens and Permanent Residents only.
BS, buy pay as you go.

PMM

tired_of_waiting

Star Member
Jan 3, 2006
Nova Scotia
Don't mean to argue with you Stu but........

That's just not true...!!!!!

I am not a PR or a citizen and I have a monthly deal with Rogers. All they need is an address to bill and a credit card (doesn't even have to be a Canadian credit card, I got it with my UK Barclay Card). I have had my mobile phone here since October 2005.

I didn't try every service provider, I just went to Rogers. It took me less than 10 minutes to get set up. It might be different for other networks but Rogers was easy.

Mar 1, 2006
I was told by Fido (don't know how much of Canada they cover) that they required a SIN number for a contract. I don't know whether they would have an issue with a temporary number starting with 9. I have a prepaid phone with them.

tired_of_waiting said:
Don't mean to argue with you Stu but........

That's just not true...!!!!!

I am not a PR or a citizen and I have a monthly deal with Rogers. All they need is an address to bill and a credit card (doesn't even have to be a Canadian credit card, I got it with my UK Barclay Card). I have had my mobile phone here since October 2005.

I didn't try every service provider, I just went to Rogers. It took me less than 10 minutes to get set up. It might be different for other networks but Rogers was easy.

Stu

Mar 27, 2006
Sorry to be late with this - further issues.
Walmart refused me a phone as did another fellow who runs the local Circuit City and who I know as I buy computer parts from him on a regular basis. Both times I was told that I could not operate a mobile phone as I was not a PR or Citizen.

tired_of_waiting

Star Member
Jan 3, 2006
Nova Scotia
When I bought my phone, I was never even asked if I was a PR or a citizen. I even pay my monthly bill with my UK credit card. The operation of a mobile phone doesn't depend on your immigration status. What province are you in?

tired_of_waiting

Star Member
Jan 3, 2006
Nova Scotia
I am in Nova Scotia too, Halifax to be exact.

Try Rogers on Spring Garden Road in downtown Halifax. I went in there, told them I was from the UK and only had a UK credit card. The guy was fine without. I was in and out in less than 10 minutes with my shiny new phone and monthly contract.

Stu

Mar 27, 2006
Thanks for that tired_of_waiting, got fixed up with Aliant who told me that info from Walmart etc. was "rubbish".
Again, thanks for your interest,
Good luck